• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Broccoli Rabe crisis

rlibkind

I've written about this on the Pennsylvania Cooking board because its an essential part of a local sandwich, the Roast Pork with Rabe and Aged Provolone, but this shortage is of national impact.

"SUPPLIES VERY LIGHT. DEMAND EXCEEDS SUPPLY."

That's how the U.S. Department or Agriculture describes the drought-ravaged market for broccoli and broccoli rabe in the winter growing areas of Southern California and Arizona.

It's hardly available at any price, and is likely to stay that way for four or five weeks, Iovine Brothers Produce at Philly's Reading Terminal Market was told by its primary supplier.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Another trip to easy street was derailed for me as I turned down the chance to pick up rabe futures last year. I consider DiNics pork with provolone and rabe to be a national treasure. But I could most likely manage one without the rabe . Too bad this country can't have a strategic stockpile of rabe for such an emergency. Tommy would have first crack when drawing against it

Broccoli rabe is very easy to grow. Maybe someone in the PA area should think about planting it once the ground thaws.

They do. It's a seasonal crop in South Jersey, but the season's over. I don't believe it's winter hardy like some greens, hence the need to bring it in from AZand CA in winter.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report