• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Hygiene Rating

Forget Michelin Stars - you can check out the food hygiene rating of your favourite establishments.

http://ratings.food.gov.uk/search/en-GB?sm=1

Rather surprised that my local butcher is only a "3" star.

Virtual pint for anyone who can find a real shocker.

http://www.thecriticalcouple.co.uk

Latest blog post - Oh my - someone needs a spell checker

This is, presumably, a new version of the earlier "scores on the doors" website?

One of the difficulties is that they don't seem to be in a rush to update the ratings when improvements have been tackled. A local well known (and well thought of) bistro managed to get a zero rating due to small, but serious, breach of regulations. It was quickly put right but the zero rating remained for quite a while - IIRC, until the restaurant went to the local press who managed a very good "splash" .

John Hartley

• 5 months later...

One of the difficulties is that they don't seem to be in a rush to update the ratings when improvements have been tackled.

I believe it depends on the type of improvement. The facilities manager where I work was quite upset when the canteen lost a star after an inspection found a tap on a sink wasn't working properly: it had apparently been working earlier that day and was fixed the next day but they were still docked down to 4 stars. They got the star back immediately though because it was a one off technical failure; she told me that if it had been a failure in their processes it would have needed multiple further inspections to verify that the process was both fixed and being followed.

• 4 weeks later...

One of the difficulties is that they don't seem to be in a rush to update the ratings when improvements have been tackled.

I believe it depends on the type of improvement. The facilities manager where I work was quite upset when the canteen lost a star after an inspection found a tap on a sink wasn't working properly: it had apparently been working earlier that day and was fixed the next day but they were still docked down to 4 stars. They got the star back immediately though because it was a one off technical failure; she told me that if it had been a failure in their processes it would have needed multiple further inspections to verify that the process was both fixed and being followed.

That fits in with what I was told by my regular local curry lunch spot. They initially got three stars because of some minor stuff and got upgraded quickly to five when it got dealt with.

I've had a dodgy tummy from proper restaurants with five stars on more than one occasion, so I wouldn't take it as an infallible guide to what is actually going on in the kitchen out of view...

• 2 weeks later...

The site is very interesting and easy to use, but I noticed some of the "Last Inspection" were done in 2010 and 2011. One even listed a 2008 as last inspected. Kinda makes you wonder how reliable the inspections are if they are so old.

I would agree that if the restaurant has made an effort to rectify the situation and the old rating is still listed, the business will suffer. So the site is helpful and then again maybe not. Typical government red tape.

• 3 weeks later...

It would be more useful if the inspections were in the last 18 months, also would be nice if displaying the score in the doorway was mandatory! I spent a little time reading all the places in my city with zero stars so i can stay away!

Impressed to see Carluccio's Islington score a big fat zero: http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/business/carluccio-s-islington-london-272350.html

Particularly impressive when their training academy is upstairs from the restaurant: http://www.bighospitality.co.uk/People/Carluccio-s-opens-in-house-training-academy-above-Islington-restaurant

(Inspection from March this year)

• 1 month later...

A pub near to me does not serve food at all. The only type of food available are packets of crisps. The council has rated it a 1 presumably due to it not selling food. When the landlady complained to the council, they relented and gave it a 3 due to it being the average score. By the way, the pub is always spotless!

Edited by Paul Higham (log)

• 4 months later...

A pub near to me does not serve food at all. The only type of food available are packets of crisps. The council has rated it a 1 presumably due to it not selling food. When the landlady complained to the council, they relented and gave it a 3 due to it being the average score. By the way, the pub is always spotless!

You have picked up on an anomaly in the rating system. It is very difficult for food EHOs to rate pubs that just sell crisps etc and you will find a wide variance in how they rate them. Basically 3 stars = compliant. So, giving the pub one star is a bit harsh to say the least and some local authorities give them 5 stars. however, it is very difficult to apply the rating system to them.

Edited by Chelseabun (log)