• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kohlrabi

liuzhou

I've recently come across these things in the local supermarkets (local being southern China).

IMG_2723 (Large).jpg

They are labelled 芬兰球 (fēn lán qiú) which means Finland Balls. A search of Google or his Chinese counterparts reveals nothing. Even the locals are in the dark, claiming never to have seen them before. I have asked several friends.

Nothing.

They are about 4 inches in diameter and the one on the left weighs 498g.

I know someone out there is going to say "Well, obviously they are _______. Doesn't he know anything?" :smile:

Any clues in any language will be very welcome.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Reminds me of kohlrabi. In fact, it reminds me so much of kohlrabi that I'll put everything on that horse.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

See. I told you! Someone will know.

They certainly look the same. Kohlrabi is not something I've really come across in its raw state before - either here or at home in the UK.

"Finland balls" must be a local dialect name. The more formal usual translation is 球苤甘蓝 or just 苤蓝 for short.

Many thanks.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

Thanks Chris. Nice link.

And thanks Ashen - you have given me an idea for a variation on a rare Chinese salad. China doesn't usually do raw food, but there is an exception. If it works, it will turn up in the Salads thread. (If not, you will never hear about it again!)

Edited by liuzhou (log)

Ha! I'm pretty sure that's the exact article I got the remoulade idea from in the first place.

Speaking of raw, you could do it a little like Sichuanese cucumbers..sort of a quick pickle in garlic, vinegar, sesame oil, sugar and Sichuan pepper or some Lao Gan Ma chilli oil.

Speaking of raw, you could do it a little like Sichuanese cucumbers..sort of a quick pickle in garlic, vinegar, sesame oil, sugar and Sichuan pepper or some Lao Gan Ma chilli oil.

That sounds like an idea. Though I will probably miss on the Lao Gan Ma - it is the Heinz ketchup of southern China - so overdone here. Everything tastes the same. I'd be happy never to come across the stuff again. There are dozens of much better chilli sauces.

hahaha, apparently I have read too quickly when I suggested roasting.

In essence, kohlrabi reminds me a lot of the root part of the european cabbage, in smell, taste and texture (ok, maybe a bit softer). You can eat it raw, add to stews, use in stir fry but my favourite remains roasting.

That sounds like an idea. Though I will probably miss on the Lao Gan Ma - it is the Heinz ketchup of southern China - so overdone here. Everything tastes the same. I'd be happy never to come across the stuff again. There are dozens of much better chilli sauces.

Well, sheesh..OK then!

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I very much like the idea of

a little like Sichuanese cucumbers..sort of a quick pickle in garlic, vinegar, sesame oil, sugar and Sichuan pepper

and I'm sure I'll be trying it.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

I am quite surprised that kohlrabi is not common in your area of China. My Mom grew it from seeds we brought with us - from Toisan via Hong Kong. Perhaps it is more of a Toisan veg:-)

My Mom used to sliced it, salted and dried it for the winter - here in Canada before we had access to a Chinese grocery store.

Sliced or diced, kohlrabi makes a lovely simple soup, a nice change from the various gwa (melons, squashes, etc). It can retain some crunch... or softer - depending on how long it is cooked. It is also delicious stir-fried with meat, or in a mixed vegetable dish.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I am quite surprised that kohlrabi is not common in your area of China.

Yes. I'm learning that it seems to be quite common in some places (perhaps more in the east), but none of my friends in Hunan / Guangxi had a clue what they were.

Just another reminder that there is no such thing as "Chinese food". A reminder that there are many "Chinese foods".

Edited by liuzhou (log)

Perhaps it is more of a Toisan veg:-)

According to the Baidu article (Google translation) it was introduced to China in the 16th Century and appears to be grown in more places than Toisan, with named varieties as well. :-)

Liuzhou, I imagine you had already found the Baidu article earlier - note that there are a few "Chinese" recipes for the stuff at the bottom of the article.

Edited by huiray (log)

I cooked kohlrabi for the first time this year, when I received some in my CSA box. They make fabulous fritters. There's quite a lot of liquid in them, so squeeze the shredded kohlrabi out well.