• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

somanytoes

Effect of starch on crispy potatoes

I read in modernist cuisine that starch helps make thing crispy. Makes sense since many fried food are first coated in flour before frying. So I would like to understand why when making fries, potatoes are rinsed first before cooking to remove starch. Heston Blumenthal fries have you first boil the spuds till breaking apart then drained(not rinsed). The purpose is to allow the starch in the spuds to be released and coat the potato so that when the get fried, it will be crispy. Also read somewhere in ATK that on boiling spuds in water with baking soda(softens cell wall) to allow the starch within the potato to be released before frying.

So why soak and rinse potato to remove the starch?

Thanks

Your supposed to remove as much starch as possible to prevent over browning. The starch turns to sugar, which in turn causes fries to turn dark brown instead of that golden light brown color fries should be.

So say I don't care for colour, by not rinsing, will I get a crispier crust?

If you want a crispy crust, soak fresh cut fries in ice water for 15-30 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels. Deep fry for 5 minutes. Let them rest in basket for 5-10 minutes. Deep fry again for 4-6 minutes until golden brown. You will get a really nice color and very crispy crust.

So say I don't care for colour, by not rinsing, will I get a crispier crust?

If you want a crispy crust, soak fresh cut fries in ice water for 15-30 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels. Deep fry for 5 minutes. Let them rest in basket for 5-10 minutes. Deep fry again for 4-6 minutes until golden brown. You will get a really nice color and very crispy crust.

Why soak the fries in the first step...? Don't potato starch make things crisp.?

Edited by somanytoes (log)

Why soak the fries in the first step...? Don't potato starch make things crisp.?

The starches inside the potatoes dont help crisp. They convert to sugar and promote browning. If you leave the starch in them, they will turn very dark brown before they crisp up. To get them crispy you have to leach out as much starch as you can, and double fry them. You wont find a crispier homemade all natural fry any other way. You could try par boiling them and then dredging in corn starch but i find that to be an off flavor and not natural.

The starches inside the potatoes dont help crisp. They convert to sugar and promote browning. If you leave the starch in them, they will turn very dark brown before they crisp up. To get them crispy you have to leach out as much starch as you can, and double fry them. You wont find a crispier homemade all natural fry any other way. You could try par boiling them and then dredging in corn starch but i find that to be an off flavor and not natural.

What would cause the starch to turn to sugar?, if dredging in starch before frying makes it crispy, why not just not rinse in the initial step so starch remains on the potato surface?. You could parboil or steam then air dry to allow the natural potato starch to leach out right?

FeChef - I think you're really missing the point of the op's questions. He or she isn't trying to find a good way to make crispy fries. I'm guessing he/she already knows how to do that. The double or triple fry methods are widely talked about and understood. The op is just trying to understand why in most cases you want starch for crispiness but in the fries case, you don't.

• Like 1

FeChef - I think you're really missing the point of the op's questions. He or she isn't trying to find a good way to make crispy fries. I'm guessing he/she already knows how to do that. The double or triple fry methods are widely talked about and understood. The op is just trying to understand why in most cases you want starch for crispiness but in the fries case, you don't.

Yep, that's it. By not rinsing to remove surface starch, will I affect crispiness? If say I do not give any consideration to colour of fries

Edited by somanytoes (log)

From my experience its less about the starch and more about the water content of what you're frying. Starchy potatoes are preferred because their waxy cousins have a much high moisture content and don't naturally want to crisp up the way starchy potatoes do. Regarding rinsing, I prefer when I prep potatoes, to let them sit in a salt-water solution, ensure they're really dry and then double-fry in duck fat. I'm not sure that rinsing or not rinsing after cutting makes a huge difference but the type of potato and how dry they are will.

Try it, and let us know if you think theres a discernable difference.

My understanding is that pectin is responsible for crispness, not starch. A little vinegar in the water (which preserves pectin) if you preboil the potatoes will stiffen them up.

• Similar Content

• By KennethT
      Is there a discussion in the book about the purpose of adding ascorbic acid?  I just saw the contest #2 in which the recipe called for it.  I'm curious because a woman I know on the internet used to work in a bakery in Vietnam, and said that to get similar results to the banh mi there, you need to add ascorbic acid.  Does it act as a gluten relaxer?  Traditional banh mi have a very tender and crisp crust, and a very light and tender, relatively closed crumb.
    • By Tuber magnatum
      Having experienced the "Edible Balloon" dessert at Alinea, I have been on a quest to try this at home.  Only recently was I able to find purportedly a recipe:
      https://www.buzzfeed.com/raypajar1/these-edible-helium-balloons-are-dessert-from-the-future?utm_term=.ut6r3PnMk#.acGNVWmd6 the video of which is found below.

I tried this and probably no surprise, it failed.  The bubble collapsed / popped with only a little distension.   I wasn't sure if the problem was that a "secret" ingredient (e.g. some kind of surfactant to stabilise the bubble or using a different kind of sugar) was missing.  Or maybe I didn't allow the mix to come to correct temperature etc.  Elsewhere I thought I had read that the original recipe was in effect some kind of taffy.  Has anyone else had success, or do any candy makers /modernist chefs, have suggestions they are willing to share?

• By Dave the Cook
      Modernist Bread is out now, but maybe you haven't taken the plunge. Here's your chance to win your own copy, courtesy of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Cooking Lab has provided us with a couple of other prizes that will go to a second and third winner: second place will win an autographed poster and calendar, and third place will receive an autographed poster. They are also providing an autographed bookplate for the first place winner's copy of Modernist Bread. The rules are simple: we are going to post recipes from the book that the team at The Cooking Lab has graciously provided for this purpose. To enter into the contest, you need to bake one or more of these recipes and post about them in the official contest topics by the end of November 2017. Winners will be drawn at random from those posting pictures and descriptions of their completed loaves. Complete rules and other details can be found here.

For part two, we're featuring another cornerstone recipe from the book: Direct Country-Style Bread. The only leavener here is instant yeast, so production time is considerably shortened. The relative lack of flavor compared to long-proofed doughs is offset by the use of whole grains. Courtesy of The Cooking Lab, here's that recipe (extracted from the book and reformatted for purposes of this contest):

• By ross
      Thanksgiving is around the corner, and I think I have a plan.
      I was keen on cooking the turkey sous vide, but have been vetoed by my a family member- "you can't feed grandma that bacteria-laden turkey! it never got hot!"
      I've tried to explain the process, and the safety, but I conceided. I'm cooking for a bunch of traditionalists, so I'm trying to keep it interesting, yet familiar and not too out of the box.
      I think I may have a more interesting plan now anyway.
      It goes like this-
      Break down the bird (from my CSA with Allandale Farm in Boston, MA, removing the breast skin in-tact
      break down the carcass, pan-roast it, and make stock.
      Make a tenderloin by stacking the breasts and glueing with Activa RM, and wrapping with the skin.
      two questions on this front:
      How long can the rolled "tenderloin" sit before cooking- can I roll it out 24 hours before showtime?
      Is there a decent way to add some flavor between the breasts- chopped sage/thyme, etc. or will this negatively affect the process? Will it cook OK?
      Braise the dark meat, following this Daniel Boulud recipe (ish.)
      Confit the wings. I currently have a test batch curing overnight, rubbed with a ton of salt, thyme, bay leaf, clove, tellicherry peppercorns, garlic, and some juniper. Picked up 7.5# tub of Hudson Valley Foie Gras duckfat for the cook.
      In addition, I'm going to do some truffled mashed potatoes, butternut squash soup with some smoked duck breast, and some veg- brussel sprouts, and something to keep the kids happy. Also pondering family-style (really partner-style) mac and cheese in some very small le crusets, following the Hattie's recipe.
      Is it worth brining the bird?
      I'm looking for reactions to this plan, and any improvements possible, or a good old-fashioned critique.
      Thoughts?
    • By Raamo
      HOST'S NOTE: This post and those that follow were split off from the pre-release discussion of Modernist Bread.

Figured I don't need to dump all this into the contest thread - so I'll post here.  My journey to making my first MC loaf.

Her's the poolish after >12 hours:

Not pictured - water with yeast in it below the bread flour and poolish

That went into the mixer and not long later I had a shaggy mass:

That rested for a while - then mixed until medium gluten formation - a window pane that was both opaque and translucent (no picture for that slightly messy part)

Folded and rested, folded and rested, I think this is 1/2 the mass now ready to rest one final time.

Proofed it in the oven - I have a picture of that but it's just foggy window oven

Then it went into the oven, here it is at max temp - 450 with steam turned on.

Completed loaf:

\

And the crumb - this is awesome bread: