• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rethinking tipping culture

mkayahara

@rotuts Right-on. Exactly.  The restaurant industry profits by fostering a bad work environment and crappy pay for long hours and then, instead of reforming itself, it guilt-trips its customers to clean up the industry's mess.

Multiple bad business decisions.

It would sit better with me if they had a notice saying " we've raised prices 10% (or whatever) to pay a fair wage to our staff".

BTW I tip 20% as a minimum.

• Like 4

@gfweb

one step or more in the right direction.

going to a ( fill in the blank ) restaurant w your family or you friends

to enjoy a good meal and all the wonderful etc etc etc

needs no social posting

of any kind .  none what so ever.

the last refuge of sorts for those of us w a bit of means or just enough to understand the R.s value

that gives us an hour or so to appreciate good food , good service , and our family and friends

where we didn't have to put the whole thing together

and do the dishes ourselves.

which is of course is far more more rewarding

but .......

the last break,  in a ( fill in the blank ) world is the restaurant.

or it should be.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I'm back in my office today and reviewed the receipt.  You will see, the Kitchen Appreciation Charge is actually subject to sales tax.  Taxing a surcharge seems, frankly, questionable. 

IMG_1811.JPG.29b698dc9032e700c00469be47e40a06.JPG

And -- since most customers would tip on either the total or subtotal -- which includes the surcharge -- wouldn't the disparity in compensation be replicated -- bigger basis for tips for the FOH?  

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

50 minutes ago, SLB said:

I'm back in my office today and reviewed the receipt.  You will see, the Kitchen Appreciation Charge is actually subject to sales tax.  Taxing a surcharge seems, frankly, questionable. 

IMG_1811.JPG.29b698dc9032e700c00469be47e40a06.JPG

And -- since most customers would tip on either the total or subtotal -- which includes the surcharge -- wouldn't the disparity in compensation be replicated -- bigger basis for tips for the FOH?  

As far as I can see the 3% has to be considered profit for the restaurant. They'd better pay income tax on it.

35 minutes ago, SLB said:

But can they collect sales tax on it?  I was talking about sales tax.

However -- this is going off topic.

They have to, I think.  No matter what they call it, is is part of the cost of the meal.

This does not seem well thought out. Seems to me that it will only create ill will on the part of the customer, being hit with another surcharge. 

I don't understand why they don't give the BOH a raise, and the raise prices accordingly. If they want some kind of credit for paying a decent wage, they could make note of it on the menu. 

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

1 hour ago, chileheadmike said:

This does not seem well thought out. Seems to me that it will only create ill will on the part of the customer, being hit with another surcharge. 

I don't understand why they don't give the BOH a raise, and the raise prices accordingly. If they want some kind of credit for paying a decent wage, they could make note of it on the menu. 

That would be too much like...sensible. 

I'm sure part of the reason is to counter the PR flack that comes with their steak being two bucks more than Joe's down the street. Once you're in and seated, you're more likely, I suppose, to suck it up and go ahead and order, if you happen to read the upcharge notice. And I suspect many people don't scrutinize their bills beyond looking at the total and calculating a tip.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 4 months later...

Given the cuurent state of affairs and all the proposed labor regs...........all of the following will need to be given some new thought

1. NO TIPPING/SERVICE INCLUDED

2. NO HOURLY EMPLOYEES

3. REVENUE SHARING

4. FULL HEALTHCARE BENEFITS

5. AUTOMATION

6. NEW FINANCIAL MODEL

7. STANDARDIZED LABOR STRUCTURES