• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Professional mold – life size shoe and handbag

Genna77

Hi

I am new to this forum and loving it already. Hello everyone

I have looked everywhere but can only find cheap thin plastic versions of shoe moulds and was wandering does anyone know where I can get a more professional one?

I am also looking for a life size handbag mould

Also when making round truffles how can I make them perfectly round?

Many thanks

Gen

Xxx

• 2 weeks later...

Chocolate World (www.chocolateworld.be) do one but no idea what the postage outside of Europe would be like. Their website isn't the easiest for finding things - it's on page 33 of the Hollow Figures Hand Moulds section.

I actually have this mould but I have never had much luck with it. I can't get the cocoa butter painting to look anything like the pictures. I have tried spraying and painting with a brush but it always comes out streaky and translucent. The pictures look like they have been painted with enamels!

P.S. You can get round chocolate shells for truffles that you just fill with ganache, seal, and dip. I use them quite a lot if I need to make large numbers quickly. Sometimes I just dip for a smooth finish and then decorate. I did this for my Xmas Pudding truffles at Xmas. Poured white chocolate over the top to look like brandy butter then decorated with tiny green sugar leaves and red balls to look like holly. They looked great. Other times after dipping I roll them on a wire mesh to give them a spiky effect. That looks good too.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of point about truffles. When you roll them in your hand, you can get them roundish with practice. You may be working with them too soft. I leave mine in the fridge over night before I scoop them out with a small disher onto parchment, return them to the fridge for an hour then roll them out. They aren't really supposed to be round anyway. The reason that they call them truffles is that they kind of look like the mushrooms that pigs dig up in France.