• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2013 Food Resolutions

Cook from cookbooks I already own...

Yeah, I'll agree with that one. I've got books I've never used that've sat around so long I'll have to wait for what's in them to come back into style again before I can use them. :raz: Actually, what would be awesome is if eGullet had a page where we could buy/sell/trade books amongst ourselves.

We have this topic for distributing/sharing cookbooks for free

I'm carbohydrate intolerant, unfortunately.

Biggest food goal for 2013 is to formulate a decent low-carbohydrate sandwich bread, if that's even possible.

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I'm carbohydrate intolerant, unfortunately.

Biggest food goal for 2013 is to formulate a decent low-carbohydrate sandwich bread, if that's even possible.

~Martin

If you come up with something, I'd love to hear about it. I have this same issue, and unfortunately, 'starch' is more or less my favourite food group.

In terms of resolutions, I really need to get out of the rut I'm in. Thanks to my sister and my boyfriend, I have some new equipment (including an iSi whipper, silicone baking sheets, vacuum sealer), which I'm currently planning on using at least one of per week.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Cook from cookbooks I already own...

Yeah, I'll agree with that one. I've got books I've never used that've sat around so long I'll have to wait for what's in them to come back into style again before I can use them. :raz: Actually, what would be awesome is if eGullet had a page where we could buy/sell/trade books amongst ourselves.

We have this topic for distributing/sharing cookbooks for free

I know about that one and it's a good topic but I was thinking more along the lines of a books classifieds type thing. I realize it's probably not a good option for the forums because of the potential headaches involved but they have similar pages on the cycling and kayaking forums I visit and it's kinda nice. They basically have the classifieds disclaimered with "this is between users and we don't care and don't want to hear about it if you're not happy with your transactions" but I've never had a problem buying or selling on them. Anyway, it was more wishful thinking than anything I actually expected. Maybe I'll resolve to go through my books and see what I can find to put on the free cookbooks topic in case anybody can use them. Thanks!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Im a fan of various PBS cooking shows. The Better ones : JPepin, America's Test Kitchen, Cook's Country. I have them all as self caps. ( not so much the Test K and Cook's County books: they seem to place one Rx in about 4 - 5 books )

I have a list of stuff I know will be really good, and this year Im making some: filled baked pasta comes to mind in its many forms.

for JPepin: his 'Essential' fish Rx including mussels!

Eat your books changed the way I use my cookbooks. It has several excellent features which I now use. For example, if you see a recipe in one of your books that you want to make you can use the bookmark feature to keep track of these and keep track of the recipes you did make that you want to make again. I have found that I am using my books much more.

My main resolution is to get my recipes more organized using the bookmarks feature.

My other resolution is to cook more Mexican food and more French food.

Eat your books changed the way I use my cookbooks. It has several excellent features which I now use. For example, if you see a recipe in one of your books that you want to make you can use the bookmark feature to keep track of these and keep track of the recipes you did make that you want to make again. I have found that I am using my books much more.

My main resolution is to get my recipes more organized using the bookmarks feature.

My other resolution is to cook more Mexican food and more French food.

What is "eat your books"?

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"