• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cologne

@Kerala 

that you for sharing your trip

many new and interesting sights

and various foods 

Im zeroing on the 

''  Rotisseried ham knuckle, roast potatoes and sauerkraut. ''

Id love to try that .

thanks again

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 5:17 PM, Kerala said:

Pork in a rosemary and grilled orange sauce that was quite simply stupendous. I've never tasted this before and I can't wait to try it again.

If you were to try making this yourself,  how would you go about it? It sounds marvelous!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The online menu just says pork fillet in orange and rosemary sauce. The texture of the pork was quite firm and chewey, which we liked, but it was the sauce which was the star. The combination of orange, rosemary and pork here  would be a good start. Thanks for the reminder, @Smithy

Edited by Kerala (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2022 at 2:52 AM, Kerala said:

The online menu just says pork fillet in orange and rosemary sauce. The texture of the pork was quite firm and chewey, which we liked, but it was the sauce which was the star. The combination of orange, rosemary and pork here  would be a good start. Thanks for the reminder, @Smithy

Oh, thank you for that link. It's likely to be a while before I try cooking it, but I can already take pleasure in this sentence:

This delightfully aromatic braise gives a nod to the east with its star anise, but the heady mix of sherry, orange, garlic and rosemary shows it still wants to dance the flamenco.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 10/10/2022 at 11:17 PM, Kerala said:

Mrs K loved her meal, and her glass of sangria, actually her first alcoholic drink in Cologne. The drink you see in the photo above is a Zombie. I've never had one before. Wow! So delicious!

Obvs not Mrs K's first alcohol in Cologne, as she had the Aperol spritz already. Excuse: not my first drink in Cologne!

Talking of drinking culture, do other cities in Germany have the 200ml keep-'em-coming drinking habit of Cologne? I really liked it rather than facing a huge Stein to get through.

Edited by Kerala (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kerala said:

Obvs not Mrs K's first alcohol in Cologne, as she had the Aperol spritz already. Excuse: not my first drink in Cologne!

Talking of drinking culture, do other cities in Germany have the 200ml keep-'em-coming drinking habit of Cologne? I really liked it rather than facing a huge Stein to get through.

No, that type of drinking habit is reserved to Kölsch (in Cologne) and Altbier (in Düsseldorf).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sorry you didn't get to try the local blood sausage. It's quite a different kind of blood sausage and it's delicious! Nobody knows what I'm talking about unless they have tried it .

hV5oqhm.jpg

Drinking, Duesseldorf style. I'm partial to Altbier. After 5 days of Koelsch pub scrawl I could finally slag it off. Koelsch is not for me. I'm no coward, had to do it to find out for myself.

NFTyXku.jpg

I love southern style, too. My first love of German beer began in Bamberg, Franconia. But, in Franconia sitting in a rural Biergarten under a linden tree contemplating the universe and realising how lucky you are to be able to enjoy the little things in life. It's not like drinking yourself into a coma like Oktoberfest kind of event.

In awe. Respect, please.

7Q2f4Lq.jpg

Another favourite spot of mine in Duesseldorf for Hausmannkost (home-style food).

RXOqqHa.jpg

X0XH4BJ.jpg

vN3D1Qb.jpg

ReFpbsh.jpg

On the same day they had a football match. This pre football match experience was just as brutal as in Rotherham, but here everyone was calm and considerate. I would not want to experience this again in Rotherham (or Sheffield), where I happened to be on that day, quite unknowingly.

sLv1cg9.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 2