• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks 2013

Markm

I really appreciated the suggestions and anticipations shared in last year's "Cookbooks 2012" thread. I'm not "in the know" enough to be aware of what is slated to come out, but thought I'd start the topic to find out what's coming out and what you are looking forward to most this year.

Im a little embarrassed to admit it, but Im really looking forward to Richard Blaise's (top chef) book "try this at home" that will be coming out next month.

Astrance finally arrived on my doorstep yesterday after being ordered 8 months ago, havent had a chance to look at it yet though.

Edited by Twyst (log)

This is a bit thin, but I've read that Suzanne Goin has an AOC (LA-based restaurant) cookbook coming out. I liked her Lucques book, so I'll definitely be checking it out. Rosetta Constantino has written a book on southern Italian desserts. Neither have shown up on Amazon yet, though.

This is a bit thin, but I've read that Suzanne Goin has an AOC (LA-based restaurant) cookbook coming out. I liked her Lucques book, so I'll definitely be checking it out.

The AOC book is on my radar as well, based on my good experiences with Sunday Suppers at Lucques.

I really appreciated the suggestions and anticipations shared in last year's "Cookbooks 2012" thread. I'm not "in the know" enough to be aware of what is slated to come out, but thought I'd start the topic to find out what's coming out and what you are looking forward to most this year.

I am looking forward to the US version of Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries II that is slated to come out in the next month or so. I forget the exact date.

I'm looking forward to Caitlin Freeman's Modern Art Desserts.

I'll second Fuschia Dunlop's Every Grain of Rice. This was, I think, mentioned in the 2012 thread - more recipes focused on vegetables, and relatively easy to cook after a day at work.

The Dunlop is good (I have the UK version), but not the comprehensive multi-region Chinese cookbook I was hoping for from her... more of an introductory cookbook than her other two, and repeating some of the dishes from those books. It's not dumbed-down per se, but it's definitely for beginners.

Which makes it fine for me, I just wish someone would do a truly encyclopedic book of Chinese cooking a la David Thompson on Thailand, and she'd be great at it.

It's a beautiful book by the way and just browsing it will make you want to cook many of the dishes. And yes, there are a lot of vegetable recipes.

I am looking forward to the US version of Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries II that is slated to come out in the next month or so. I forget the exact date.

I couldn't wait for this book (and I still don't see a US release date for it) so I ordered it from Amazon UK. The book is huge (400 pages) and great to read. Same style as the first Kitchen Diaries but he compiles a few years worth of recipes into one calendar year. I also ordered the Fuschia Dunlop book from Amazon UK but haven't really started it yet; it's up next after I finish Kitchen Diaries II.

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

I couldn't wait for this book (and I still don't see a US release date for it) so I ordered it from Amazon UK. The book is huge (400 pages) and great to read. Same style as the first Kitchen Diaries but he compiles a few years worth of recipes into one calendar year. I also ordered the Fuschia Dunlop book from Amazon UK but haven't really started it yet; it's up next after I finish Kitchen Diaries II.

Nigel Slater is on Twitter, and I follow him. He was talking about it there, and I asked him when it was coming out here. He told me he is working on the US edition now. I thought he told me the date, but I cannot find where he told me. Somewhere I saw a release date for it..

Christine

Edited by artisan02 (log)

The Dunlop is good (I have the UK version), but not the comprehensive multi-region Chinese cookbook I was hoping for from her... more of an introductory cookbook than her other two, and repeating some of the dishes from those books. It's not dumbed-down per se, but it's definitely for beginners.

My UK copy of Dunlop arrived, and I couldn't stop stop reading it. I want to eat everything in it. Not sure about the "beginners" label, I always skim technique sections as a recreational quiz to find something the author knows that I didn't, or vice versa, and the tone here didn't bother me. Sure the recipes aren't hard, but they look delicious. Her regional preferences match my own. Like everyone here, I have many books, and I don't expect any one book to be comprehensive. If there are other books people prefer to Dunlop, I'm eager to read those books too. (I've always loved The Good Food of Szechwan by Robert Delfs, lowbrow and loud, with my other all-time favorite dan dan noodle recipe besides Dunlop's "Xie Laoban's Dan Dan Noodles", yes now in two of her books.)

As for technique, here's a quote from "everyday stock" p318:

Clean the raw meats: the traditional method is to blanch them for a couple of minutes in boiling water

I'd first seen this idea in Tom Colicchio's Think Like a Chef. Later, Janet Fletcher of the SF Chron told me that this was classic Chinese technique, but I'd never noticed it in print before now. Even Thomas Keller waited a few books to come clean that this was protocol in his restaurants too. So why was he leaving this out before? I'm ok calling Every Grain of Rice a beginner book if we can agree that The French Laundry Cookbook is also a beginner book. There's simply worded advice that happens to be right. I know many good cooks who simply skim their stocks, with comparatively ghastly results that they're not even noticing.

Like many of us here, I've very interested in sous vide. However, I don't particularly like skyscraper food, so I read those books for technique. There are many opportunities in Dunlop's book to experiment with substituting sous vide steps, such as the cold chicken dishes, or red-braising.

A typical recipe in this UK edition asks for "300g celery" and gives temperatures in centigrade. I went to extra trouble to order this edition from Amazon UK to the US, out of fears as to how exactly the publisher would dumb it down for my market. I'd do this again.

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

I suppose I meant in comparison with her other two cookbooks. It doesn't have the depth, and my guess is it's meant to be less threatening. As you say, this doesn't mean it doesn't have insights. However I was given the Grace Young book on wok cooking for Christmas, and the tips on technique on that have done more for my Chinese cooking than this new on Dunlop. Somehow I expected more from her. That doesn't mean it's bad or dumbed down, as I said - just not the next level that for whatever reason I was hoping for. Still, as you say, it seems like a good book - I'm excited to cook from it.

However I was given the Grace Young book on wok cooking for Christmas

!! I bought the Grace Young kindle version moments before reading this.

I'm fanatical about noodles and dumplings. I love the dumpling pictures in Dunlop, particularly handmade wrappers in the same spirit as southern Italian pasta making.

I have all of Dunlop's books. I get home too late from work some weeknights to get into some of the involved recipes in her other books. This new book is filled with templates for food I want to eat, that one can generally make quickly.

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

Hey,

Can anyone here give me some advice on "The Kimchi Cookbook" by Lauryn Chun. Has anyone got it? Is it good? etc...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Kimchi-Cookbook-Traditional-Modern/dp/1607743353/

I loooooove my pickles and am only starting to get into Kimchi. It looks like an interesting book but am having a hard time finding reliable reviews.

Cheers.

Looks like it's coming out in September:

http://www.amazon.com/Stories-Larder-Kitchen-Nigel-Slater/dp/1607745437/ref=sr_1_68?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358729828&sr=1-68

Apparently i was so excited by "Every grain of rice" that i ordered it twice on Amazon. Ooopsie. Delivery date moved up a couple weeks. I should have it Wednesday.

I'll let everyone know if they changed the measurement methods from weights to some stupid volumetric equivalent.

Read through the US release of Every Grain of Rice last night. This is an incredibly practical book. Not all ingredients have a metric equivalent, but most of the items you'd weigh do. There is an improvisational aspect to this kind of cooking that makes this acceptable. Time to start cooking!

my libraries copy of EGR has not come it yet, but look forward to it. can you give me a few clues on that cabbage/dried shrimp dish? I have the dried shrimp which I looked for after seeing them in the 'Chinese' thread and have yet to use them. With cabbage seems like an interesting paring.

thanks

May I suggest a Cooking with Fuschia Dunlop's Every Grain of Rice thread. It is getting a lot of praise and attention and I would like to see what people are cooking from it!

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.