• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Reconstructed

FeChef

A few months ago i bought this stuff called "Moo Gloo"(aka Transglutaminase). Its basicly a synthetic enzyme that bonds proteins together. It is used in just about every deli lunch meat you buy at your local super market.

Since im obsessed with Italian roast pork sandwiches I thought i would give this stuff a try by taking a boston butt pork shoulder, removing the bone, connective tissue, and cutting it into chunks. Then rubbing Italian dressing season mix, ground black pepper, and celery seed. I let that sit in the fridge for 1 hour. Then mixed in 0.75% of total weight of Moo Gloo which equaled roughly 15g for 4/lb pork. I then formed a tight round log by using lots of plastic wrap. After wraping I let it rest in the fridge overnight to let the Moo Gloo set. Next morning i sealed the log in a ziplock bag and gave it a 16 hour water bath @ 150F. During this time, amazingly it barely leaked any juices. After the water bath it went into the fridge overnight to slice the following day.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.jpg

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

• Thanks 1

thats simply stunning stuff! what was your source for the MooGlue?

and id like to hear a lot more about your SV system. I use 'beer' coolers and am working on a larger 'chest' with a bucket heater.

what heater do you use? and is that an immersible pump? what temps doest that pump tolerate?

also what are the little 'blocks' in the final sliced meat packets?

many thanks!

thats simply stunning stuff! what was your source for the MooGlue?

and id like to hear a lot more about your SV system. I use 'beer' coolers and am working on a larger 'chest' with a bucket heater.

what heater do you use? and is that an immersible pump? what temps doest that pump tolerate?

also what are the little 'blocks' in the final sliced meat packets?

many thanks!

Thanks, and your welcome.

I got the Moo Gloo off amazon, i believe it was from modern pantry i think the company was called. It cost $14 shipped for a 25g package.

My heat source is a heating element from a masterbuilt butterball turkey fryer. Its i believe 1650w.

I use the turkey fryer as my everyday SV but drop the element into my 35 gal Igloo cooler for larger meats. Ive done four 8lb pork butts in it once for a family picnic this past summer.

The pump is submersible. I believe it was a 200gph i bought from harbor frieght for $9.99. Ive used it a few times for 30+ hours straight @ 155F and it hasnt failed yet. I use a air circulator i built for temps above 155F like 185F for vegetables but that i built into the turkey fryer tank.

Im not sure what you mean by little blocks. The meat was cut into strips and chunks then formed into a log. so your seeing the chunks of meat glued together. Unless your talking about a few spots there was a few tiny air pockets.

Im on my way to HF tomorrow for this:

http://www.harborfre...pump-68372.html

and here are the little 'blocks' :

'blocks'.jpg

you have re-inspired me and I did some weight-lifting and got out Tome 3 from MC and hope to try some of the 'home-made' cold cuts soon!

of course, this demands a good sharp Meat slicer.

may I ask which one you use?

many thanks again!

Wow ! thanks for the extra information.

what do the cubes add to the vacuum packed slices? you smear it on to your sandwich ? how inspired is that !

please when you get the time show us your complete SV system, < 155 and the one that you use at the VegTemp!

I can see from your posts you are a recent addition to eG and clearly an expert !

many of us are glad you are here.

me ! :biggrin:

That looks amazing

Now!!! I will look into S.V :laugh:

After the moogloo set, how would that log hold up in a smoker??

Great post, thanks for the info

Shane

I think it would hold up just fine. After it sets, it bonds the meat is if it was one big solid piece of meat. But i would probably SV the meat to atleast 135F for 12 hours before finishing off in the smoker.

Sooooooooo sorry for being a Pest!

did you make that controller your self?

I see the Turkey fryer is ButterBall :cool:

its a little difficult to understand your bubbler:

that's the item in the first pic?

when you can, I ( many others OK 2 others )

would like to see more of that!

cheers!

Wow ! thanks for the extra information.

what do the cubes add to the vacuum packed slices? you smear it on to your sandwich ? how inspired is that !

please when you get the time show us your complete SV system, < 155 and the one that you use at the VegTemp!

I can see from your posts you are a recent addition to eG and clearly an expert !

many of us are glad you are here.

me ! :biggrin:

Thanks i appreciate your kind words. The cubes are just a really heavy pork stock with fresh herbs and italian seasonings. You SV the bags to re-therm the meat and the stock cubes melt and hydrate the meat while re-therming. Then you build your sandwich and pour the juices ontop.

Sooooooooo sorry for being a Pest!

did you make that controller your self?

I see the Turkey fryer is ButterBall :cool:

its a little difficult to understand your bubbler:

that's the item in the first pic?

when you can, I ( many others OK 2 others )

would like to see more of that!

cheers!

Yes I built the controller and the air circulator is just copper tubing bent into the shape of the tank and i used a drill press to drill very tiny pin holes down the entire copper tubing, and then plugged the end.

thanks.

how did you pick the temp for your rolls?

I love pork as rare as possible. i do loin at 130.1

what do you think these rolls would be like at 130.1 at the time to make it 'tender'

that being said you must have a slicer to make them so uniform.

now about sliding them into the bag !

thanks.

how did you pick the temp for your rolls?

I love pork as rare as possible. i do loin at 130.1

what do you think these rolls would be like at 130.1 at the time to make it 'tender'

that being said you must have a slicer to make them so uniform.

now about sliding them into the bag !

I picked 150F because @ 155F for 30 hours, the pork butts i do just fall apart Here is a video i took shredding one of the pork butts.

http://youtu.be/YysV1l4X83s

I find 150F for 12-16 hours works great for slicing very thin and still being juicy and tender, and not working about getting anyone sick with lower temperatures. Im not sure i would trust eating pork below 135F.The slicer I use i got from cabellas in their bargain cave for $50.It normally cost $130 Heres a link. http://www.cabelas.com/slicers-cabelas-heavy-duty-slicer.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=shopping&WT.z_mc_id1=746810&rid=40&mr:referralID=830122a5-55ec-11e2-97b3-001b2166becc

SV at 130.1 for the 'time' required is pasteurized !

I just dont trust that low of a temp for this application because once you cut the meat up and reform it its no longer one solid sterile chunk of muscle.