• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2013

chefmd

I was experimenting for brekkie today:

I got this for christmas - silicone molds for making ice shot glasses.... but I had other things in mind:

IMG_3007.jpeg

Plain egg whites into the molds, and baked at 300 - took way too long, wish there was a better method. Ideas?

Egg yolk cooked with MUCH sriracha and stuffed inside:

IMG_3010.jpeg

The 'cups' had too many bubbles in them, which made them wobbly. I think I should have 'forked up' the whites before dumping them in the molds. Also, it was very difficult to keep the yolk runny.... I just need to experiment some more...

Neat idea. I'd try microwaving them. You might need to cook in a few pulses depending on the energy of your oven.

I have drooled all over this thread, and I swear, I don't know where you guys find the time to cook like that in the morning!

This morning I had banana oatmeal cookies. I am going to start taking pictures tomorrow...

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I actually made breakfast this morning! toast with ham and sour cream scrambled eggs.

Now I have to remember to take pictures! :rolleyes:

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I dont have pictures yet, but my 2013 breakfast of champions is eggs benedict with a twist, Instead of ham, I use butterfly pan seared smoked sausage ontop a english muffin, layed on a bed of sauteed potatoes and fried onions topped with a dippy egg and hollandaise sauce served with buttered white/wheat/rye toast of your choice.

Gas house eggs/sheepherder bread/free-range, extra-large eggs. Bacon on the side.

HPIM4855.JPG

HPIM4856.JPG

in an 11-inch skillet. The yolks of these eggs are much larger than usual - from an heirloom breed.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Everyone’s breakfasts look and sound wonderful! I need to especially note Andi’s and Nickrey’s. Those eggs in a basket are one of my favorites, Andi, and I haven’t done them for so long. Nickrey, now that Mr. Kim is comfortable with his smoker, I’m going to be requesting smoked salmon! That looks so good.

I’m putting our Christmas morning breakfast here since I can’t find a suitable thread! Christmas morning this year was our usual menu. The ubiquitous Pillsbury orange danish Christmas tree:

med_gallery_3331_324_117583.jpg

Dumb, but it NEEDS to be on the table. And it ALWAYS gets demolished!

My MIL’s sweet roll:

med_gallery_3331_324_60283.jpg

CI mini quiches:

med_gallery_3331_324_149320.jpg

ET bagels:

med_gallery_3331_324_63890.jpg

Sausage rolls:

med_gallery_3331_324_93935.jpg

Christmas breakfast hasn’t changed in probably 25 years and it’s my favorite meal of the season!

• Like 1

Lovely Christmas breakfast, Kim. I baked stollen in a loaf pan so it would be easier to slice for toast. Otherwise I did very little baking this year, no cookies at all, no fruitcake.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Everyone’s breakfasts look and sound wonderful! I need to especially note Andi’s and Nickrey’s. Those eggs in a basket are one of my favorites, Andi, and I haven’t done them for so long. Nickrey, now that Mr. Kim is comfortable with his smoker, I’m going to be requesting smoked salmon! That looks so good.

I’m putting our Christmas morning breakfast here since I can’t find a suitable thread! Christmas morning this year was our usual menu. The ubiquitous Pillsbury orange danish Christmas tree:

med_gallery_3331_324_117583.jpg

Dumb, but it NEEDS to be on the table. And it ALWAYS gets demolished!

My MIL’s sweet roll:

med_gallery_3331_324_60283.jpg

CI mini quiches:

med_gallery_3331_324_149320.jpg

ET bagels:

med_gallery_3331_324_63890.jpg

Sausage rolls:

med_gallery_3331_324_93935.jpg

Christmas breakfast hasn’t changed in probably 25 years and it’s my favorite meal of the season!

these look awesome and beautiful!

your Home made granola is very interesting.

of note: 'Light Olive Oil' some consider deathly evil: it's the heated dregs of olive oil that's heated and that changes all the double bonds etc.

it has all the calories, and the 'Lite' means that it has little 'olive' taste. and none of good benefits of olive oil just evil benefits of heat treatment.

it took me some time some time ago to realize this.

but many thanks for re-awaking home made granola!

Edited by rotuts (log)

your Home made granola is very interesting.

of note: 'Light Olive Oil' some consider deathly evil: it's the heated dregs of olive oil that's heated and that changes all the double bonds etc.

it has all the calories, and the 'Lite' means that it has little 'olive' taste. and none of good benefits of olive oil just evil benefits of heat treatment.

it took me some time some time ago to realize this.

but many thanks for re-awaking home made granola!

Thanks...I didn't know that about lite olive oil....I'm going to remove that from my recipe notes!