• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2013

chefmd

rotuts and Dejah

The recipe is from Modernist Cuisine with credit given to Juan Mari Arzak. Without infringing on copyright, for 4 eggs

Combine 50 g duck fat with 25 g extra virgin olive oil and 10 g truffle oil. Cut 4 large pieces of food safe plastic wrap and brush centre of each with the oils. Use the plastic wrap to line 4 small bowls. Break an egg into each plastic lined bowl. Season with salt and a further drizzle of the combined oils. Twist the plastic to enclose the eggs and tie off (that's why you need LOTS of plastic). Cook SV at 85C for 12 mins.

I hate truffle oil so gave it a miss and I chose 10 mins rather than 12. Hope that helps.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Leftover boerswors with some fied onions and a fried egg.

image.jpg

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Had roasted cauliflower steaks for dinner last night and had a container of Modernist Cuisine pork adobo hence pork adobo over cauliflower rice for breakfast.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Beets, egg, blue cheese with a sprinkling of Japanese "house" spice.

My 2004 eG Blog

Several breakfasts from recent days.

--------------------------

Early breakfast

• Fried rice: with chopped bone-in chicker leg quarters, Western celery, eggs, garlic, scallions, salt.

DSCN0038a_1k.jpg

---------------------------

Breakfast

• Pork & cabbage dumplings [Prime Food], poached farm eggs, skinny wonton noodles in chicken stock, leaf celery wilted in the chicken stock, chopped scallions topping.

DSCN0061a_1k.jpg

-----------------------------

Early breakfast

• Marinated Alaskan cod fillets steamed in the marinade w/ fresh Chinese mushrooms & sliced scallions.

• White rice.

DSCN0068a_1k.jpg

-------------------------------

Late breakfast/Brunch

• “Ho Fan Abalone Chicken Soup Flavored” (鮑魚鷄味湯河) [sau Tao] (this one) with sliced char-siu (Chinese BBQ pork), seafood & cabbage dumplings [Prime Food], and tong ho (; edible chrysanthemum; Chrysanthemum coronarium; a.k.a. garland chrysanthemum) just barely wilted in oiled boiling/hot water.

DSCN0089a_1k.jpg

• Like 3

Huiray, breakfast at your table would start every day right for me. So glad you share the details so I might one day come close to imitating from my pantry.

image.jpg

Leftovers this morning. A small onion sauteed in duck fat with leftover S-V'd potatoes, some cut up pork loin and a little spicy tomato chutney to wake me up.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna N, You are very generous in your comments. I thank you. I believe you have quite splendid breakfasts in any case, nevertheless, and I find pleasure in seeing what you got to for the daily a.m. meal.

• Like 1

Breakfast at JT's, Indy: Steak & Eggs with hash browns "casserole", biscuit, the usual stuff.

DSCN0143a_1k.jpg

p.s. Yes, I *do* eat eggs for b'fast and on occasion eat stuff that more conventional folks might think of as de rigeur for Western breakfast.

p.p.s. That was a pat of herbed butter on the steak - hardly enough, I thought.

• Like 3

p.s. Yes, I *do* eat eggs for b'fast and on occasion eat stuff that more conventional folks might think of as de rigeur for Western breakfast.

Appreciate the p.s. - I did a full double-take. :wink:

De rigeur Western breakfast here - scrambled eggs with chipotle sauce. Rehydrated chipotle and guajillo chiles pureed with tomato, chicken stock, garlic, cumin, Mexican oregano, and honey. Fried the sauce and then set aside. Hard-scrambled the eggs and then mixed in the sauce. Served on warm corn tortillas with queso seco.

Usually I soft-scramble the chile sauce with the eggs. Tastes great, looks fecal. Hard-scrambling provides a visual effect more congruent with breakfast rather than clean-up. :rolleyes:

p665837464-4.jpg

• Like 2

Breakfast out today with Patris at the "Original Pancake House" in Tonawanda, NY. The restaurant traces it's lineage to Portland, Oregon in 1953. One of it's specialties is the Dutch Baby - a puffy baked eggstravaganza that has been mentioned on eG in the past.

DSCN2408.jpg

Their extremely good coffee comes with 35% whipping cream.

DSCN2409.jpg

A mushroom omelet for me - a huge baked puffy delight served with potato pancakes on the side.

DSCN2410.jpg

Cheese and broccoli omelet for Patris.

We both managed about half our breakfast.

• Like 4

Nice breakfast... looks a lot better than the All Bran pellets I had.

Took a peek at that menu. It'd be a tough choice, the sourdough pancakes or the buckwheat pancakes.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Breakfast out today with Patris at the "Original Pancake House" in Tonawanda, NY. The restaurant traces it's lineage to Portland, Oregon in 1953. One of it's specialties is the Dutch Baby - a puffy baked eggstravaganza that has been mentioned on eG in the past.

attachicon.gifDSCN2408.jpg

Their extremely good coffee comes with 35% whipping cream.

attachicon.gifDSCN2409.jpg

A mushroom omelet for me - a huge baked puffy delight served with potato pancakes on the side.

attachicon.gifDSCN2410.jpg

Cheese and broccoli omelet for Patris.

We both managed about half our breakfast.

awesome.. is that the one just a few mins down the road from Trader joe's in Amherst? I noticed it on the drive a few weeks back.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

• 2 weeks later...