• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2013

chefmd

Thanks Ann_T.

image.jpg

Duck purposely saved from last night's dinner, red onion compote because I am trying to finish up a bunch of condiments to gain some fridge space, and a topping of home-made crispy shallots. If you've never made your own crispy shallots but only eaten the purchased ones you don't know what you're missing!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Couple of recent breakfasts.

--------------------------

Early breakfast a few days ago.

• Pork & shrimp dumplings [Prime Food], Tuscan kale (de-ribbed), skinny wonton noodles; in a chicken stock simmered w/ some ikan bilis (dried anchovies) & dried Chinese mushroom stems; dressed w/ chopped scallions.

DSCN9959a_1k.jpg

--------------------------

Breakfast today.

Bak Kut Teh. The simple non-herbal version (using just a handful of cloves, 3 cinnamon sticks, a small handful of star anise; plus 2 heads of garlic and Kikkoman soy sauce), with meaty pork ribs (“country-style ribs”). Japanese fried soybean curd (zen sushiage) and sliced soft tofu were also added in towards the end.

• White rice (Basmati).

DSCN9976a_1k.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, Anna N. Your omelettes look tasty.

Have you (and Ann_T) tried things like Oh Chien or Bittergourd omelettes?

I am a great fan of mussels, will tolerate clams but oysters......nah. As for bitter melon/gourd I will admit to never having tried it in omelettes or otherwise. I intend to remedy that situation soon. Thank you for the suggestions which are always welcome. Anna

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

image.jpg

Unashamedly imitating scubadoo.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Imitation is the best flattery as they say. Nicely done Anna. Were you happy with texture of both the white and yolk?

Absolutely. Thank you for sharing your technique.

My 2004 eG Blog

thanks for the reminder on the SV eggs. I used to do 2 doz at a time. back to it now.

Talk to me about 2 doz at a time. Why? Did you store them? For how long? Did you chill them as you might with meat? Inquisitive minds want to know!

My 2004 eG Blog

when eggs are (were) on sale Ive SV'd 2 dozen at a time. I use my second BeerCooler w air bubbler. Its 16 QT's in size. 2 doz fit nicely in this container.

first I bring the eggs to room temp. As the water bath gets to temp, Ive been know to put the eggs in hot tap water, which is below the SV temp. ( I also use hot tap water to 'prime' the SV bath) if the eggs are warm before they go into the bath, it seems to, for me, prevent cracking. its that air sac at the blunt end.

then I SV to where I like them and them chill in an ice bath. I towel dry, and place back in the egg container in the refrig. Ive been a bit concerned that as the eggs heat up, you see tiny air bubbles leaking out of the egg, and not just from the air sac. No big deal, but Im guessing then that in cooling a bit of water then re-enters the egg. cant say this is true, but If I remember Ill weigh a few eggs 'hot' then 'chilled' just to see. this has not bothered me in any way. I leave the egg white 'a bit loose' as this moistens the toast and saves a few life-times as I can use less butter on the toast.

:blink:

but keep your eggs to the way you like them.

to re heat ( tricky me ) I take hot tap water ( < SV temp ) and place the number of eggs I want in the strainer section of the small all plastic Good Grips salad spinner, with a few plastic bottle caps (3) on the bottom between the plastic container and the plastic mesh 'spinner' so the plastic strainer/spinner has water completely surrounding it.

they last for as long as i eat them. the refrig is cold, and the eggs are pasteurized, so I cant say the 'eat date'

makes for a mighty quick and delicious Breakfast

thanks for the reminder.

doing 2 doz in a few days will post here a pic of the re-heat set up if I remember. the plastic bottle caps made a big difference.

I place the gizmo in the microwave while my toast is toasting. I think, but dont hold me to it, that I micro for 30 sec. the whole shebang. this gets the eggs close to the SV temp. But not above it. they can sit in this water while you futtz around with your Espresso Maker etc etc.

Then i crack them over the hot toast.

times etc might vary etc. it seems to matter in the Micro that the plastic basket is completely surrounded by water so the 'waves dont wave the egg just the water.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I can't say I am personally that attracted by SV eggs to set up the stuff to do it. Just me. At least on the "cooking for myself" level.

Breakfast today:

Hảo Hảo - Mì Tôm Chua Cay (Hot-sour shrimp flavour instant noodles) [Vina Acecook] with 3 hard-boiled eggs, celery heart leaves & stems, chopped scallions.

DSCN9982a_1k.jpg

• Like 1

image.jpg

A rare treat for me -- toast! Black-forest style ham, mango chutney and spicy deli mustard sitting on an unopened copy of The Photography of Modernist Cuisine which Kerry Beal has lent to me to fill my weekend!

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

A late breakfast today:

Rice congee, w/ sautéed finely sliced ginger, sliced pork belly, sliced preserved mustard stems (榨菜; Yale Cantonese ja3 choi3; "Zha cai"), basmati rice, sea salt + Himalayan salt; then when served, w/ chopped scallions & Tianjin preserved vegetable (天津冬菜; Yale Cantonese tin1 jeun1 dung1 choi3). Nice pork belly skin w/ the desired soft, gelatinous, oozy texture. ;-)

The ginger is sautéed in vegetable oil till slightly browning; the sliced pork belly added, tossed around for a bit; water added (about 5-6 cups : ½ cup eventual water to raw rice), brought to a boil, heat reduced, covered, and simmered for about ½ hr. The ja3 choi3 [Fuling Zha Cai Wujiang Brand], rinsed briefly w/ water, was then added, simmering continued for another ½ hr; raw rice [Royal brand basmati] added, the mixture stirred while re-achieving a boil again, heat re-lowered to a simmer, covered. A bit of water added, and heat was shut off (about an hr later) after the consistency and desired "fracturing/splitting" of the rice grains had been achieved. Ladled out, dressed w/ chopped scallions and dung1 choi3.

DSCN0002a_1k.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 5

C. sapidus,

Lucky you. Love leftovers for breakfast and yours look particularly good.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Boerewors (South African sausage from a local butcher), egg blossoms from Modern Cuisine and tomato chutney (eG recipe archive).

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog