• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2013

chefmd

Ive lived in Spain, and have had this dish. its delicious. the shoe-string fries are deep fried in olive oil, but not overpowering and the eggs have that characteristic crispy edge from also a fry in fat.

Yum!

• Like 1

I've never had goose eggs, I think. How do these differ from duck or chicken eggs?

They are bigger, A lot bigger. A double duck; a triple hen.

They are richer in taste (in my opinion).

They are great in omelettes or poached, but I don't like them boiled. The white turns kind of leathery.

In an omelette they taste almost creamy.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpg

image.jpg

Rotuts expressed a desire to see this steak, which was a gift from Kerry Beal, appear in the dinner thread. I refuse to be that predictable. To some foie gras or truffles are the epitome of luxury. To me it's steak for breakfast. Look at that marbling and look at that price!

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna N, Looks good. I like steak for breakfast too. No issues at all with having a honking big piece of meat first thing in the morning. :-) And yes, indeed - that price for the one you had - pretty good!

• Like 1

Anna, that steak is my idea of breakfast heaven, but I'd probably like it even better cold! ( Long story; childhood favorite! )

I often have cold steak for breakfast and enjoy it thoroughly but some how that just makes me feel virtuous. Freshly cooked steak for breakfast, on the other hand, makes me feel daring and decadent.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

An early breakfast from last week:

• Fried rice. Chinese sausages (lap cheong; liver, & Vietnamese flavor; pre-steamed then sliced up), leaf celery (Western-type), “normal” celery hearts, scallions (lots!!), farm eggs (scrambled/”marbled” in situ), white rice (Basmati). Eaten w/ “Cap Jempol” chili sauce mixed w/ lime juice & some rice vinegar.

DSCN9860a_800.jpg

DSCN9862a_800.jpg

DSCN9863a800.jpg

DSCN9865a_800.jpg

DSCN9870a_800.jpg

• Like 4

Breakfast a few days ago:

• “Instant Noodles Artificial Hot & Sour Shrimp Flavor” [Dragonfly] w/ halved hard-boiled eggs & scallions.

DSCN9901a_800.jpg

-------------------------

Breakfast today:

• Leftover Babi Pongteh (from the previous day’s lunch, see here) served over white rice.

DSCN9910a_800.jpg

• Like 4

H: """ Vietnamese flavor """ what type of sausage is this? if you get the chance, would you post a pic? by V.F. would that be Fish sauce flavor.

always interested in trying new to me C or V sausage. but probably not the Liver :blink:

I was wondering the same thing. Strips of corn tortillas?

In Spain? My immediate impression was potato fries. Hmm??

Yes, they are shoestring potatoes which are crispy yet delicate and the egg yolks make a wondering sauce. The Spaniards typically cut up the eggs and mix them with the potatoes.

H: """ Vietnamese flavor """ what type of sausage is this? if you get the chance, would you post a pic? by V.F. would that be Fish sauce flavor.

always interested in trying new to me C or V sausage. but probably not the Liver :blink:

Hello, I suppose you are asking me this when you wrote "H:" in your post? (perhaps you might consider addressing me by my handle, "huiray" ;-) ) I am also guessing that "V.F." is "Vietnamese Flavor" and "C" is "Chinese" while "V" is "Vietnamese"?

If so, then I should have more properly written "Vietnamese Style" sausage. I talked about this version of lap cheong in some detail in this previous post here on this thread.

Here is a picture of the remainder of the current pack of this variety of lap cheong.

DSCN9935a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 2

A few recent breakfasts.

-----------------------------

Early breakfast

• “Sapporo Ichiban Japanese Style Noodles & Chicken Flavored-Soup”, augmented w/ thinly-sliced prosciutto (rinsed w/ warm water to remove some of the saltiness), smashed garlic, chopped young kale, 3 farm eggs poached in situ.

DSCN9916a_1k.jpg

----------------------------

Breakfast in two parts.

Early breakfast (about 5 a.m.)

• Fedelini [De Cecco] w/ a sauce of tomatoes-carrots-garlic-EVOO-butter.

• Fresh broccoli florets blanched in oiled boiling water, drained, drizzled w/ Ponzu sauce (lime) [Kikkoman] & dusted w/ fresh ground white pepper.

DSCN9926a_1k.jpg

Late breakfast (about 10 a.m.)

• “Wei Lih Jah Jian Mien” [this one]. The noodle part was additionally dressed w/ chopped scallions (mostly white parts) + some coriander leaves. The soup part was augmented w/ additional dried wakame (dried seaweed) [Hirokon Foods] and chopped scallions (mostly green parts) & generous coriander leaves.

• Leek & Potato soup. Made the previous day, left at RT to meld in taste and flavor. Leeks (w/ long white parts), Red Thumb fingerlings, Cipollini onions, red onion, chopped smashed garlic, bay leaves, sea salt, sliced celery root, EV olive oil.

DSCN9927a_800.jpg

DSCN9931a_800.jpg

• Like 1

huiray,

Your instant ramen "hacks" are always impressive. Must stock up on some packages very soon.

This is fast becoming a favourite breakfast.

image.jpg

Scrambled eggs with tomatoes.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

tomatoes are excellent w eggs. consider a bit of feta if you have it also. just a bit.

Thanks, rotuts, but not a fan of feta and my egg and tomato dish falls on the Asian side rather than the European.

image.jpg

Shiitake and scallion omelette drizzled with sesame oil (used to hate it, now addicted) and chili oil.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog