• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2013

chefmd

Today,i had Corns and Bread and butter with green tea.I like simple corns allot ,that why i always used to take corns in my breakfast.

Siya,

What do you mean by corns? You've got me curious.

Breakfast yesterday:

Stew of sliced beef shin (browned), sautéed garlic, (simmered for ~1 hr), fresh carrots & young daikon, yellow onion, purple potatoes, sea salt, whole cloves, stick cinnamon & 1 star anise; left overnight at RT to deepen & meld further in taste. Eaten w/ white rice (Basmati).

DSCN9667b_1k.jpg

---------------------

Breakfast today:

Peeled, sliced Chinese hairy gourd (mou gua), cellophane noodles, sautéed smashed chopped garlic, dried shrimp (pre-soaked); splash of Shaohsing wine, seasoned/salted to taste.

(a.k.a. 大姨媽嫁女)

DSCN9672b_1k.jpg

• Like 1

IMG_20131012_100308_283.jpg

A lot of onions looked like this in this batch. Hate that. Anyway this onion went into this out of focus hash with home made sv corned beef and yukon gold potato tossed in the pan with ketchup and a little sriracha.

IMG_20131012_100449_791.jpg

Breakfast a couple of days ago:

Beef slices (from a hunk of top sirloin cap) marinated w/ Shaohsing wine, "aged soy sauce", white pepper, ryori-shu, sweet mirin, a bit of cornstarch. Stir-fried w/ young "Taiwan Bok Choy" (a variety of what is called "Napa cabbage" in the US) and lots and lots of chopped smashed garlic. Eaten w/ white rice (Thai Hom Mali) [Leftovers from dinner]

DSCN9676b_1kP.jpg

-------------------------------------

Breakfast today:

Slow-simmered chicken broth (from yesterday; using two stewing chickens, plenty of celery & carrots, some sliced ginger, sea salt), with some of the veggies and some chicken skin; eaten w/ Fuzhou flour vermicelli (福州麵線 ; Yale Cantonese: fuk1 jau1 min6 sin3; also a.k.a. "Mee sua" in Hokkien) [sun Kee]. Garnished w/ fresh celery leaves.

DSCN9684c_1k.jpg

The vermicelli:

DSCN9685b_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

huiray, I could totally eat that for breakfast. Looks fabulous

Yup

Huevos rusticos on warm corn tortillas. The sauce turned out surprisingly zippy so I took the edge off with heavy cream. These were perhaps the last beefsteak tomatoes of the year. One more beefsteak might ripen and if it does, it is destined for the last BLT of the year.

p292692873-4.jpg

Obligatory yolk shot :wink:

p200801686-4.jpg

This morning: a pack of Dragonfly brand 'Instant Noodles Artificial Hot & Sour Shrimp Flavor', augmented w/ lots of chopped scallions and sliced celery. New to me. I like this one. The lemongrass and spicy flavors are definitely there, the noodles are quite pleasant and appropriate for what they are. I agree w/ Ramen Rater on this one.

I could eat Mexican every day. Love your breakfast Bruce.

My son is home visiting for a few days and I promised him homemade pizza. There was enough dough left to make a pizza for breakfast.

Breakfast%20Pizza%20October%2016th%2C%20

Moe's was a "breakfast" pizza topped with fresh mozzarella, fried potatoes, bacon and eggs,

Greek%20Pizza%20October%2016th%2C%202013

and for Matt, I made him his favourite Greek Pizza.

Greek%20Pizza%20October%2016th%2C%202013

Topped with fresh mozzarella, potatoes fried in bacon fat and seasoned with garlic, oregano and fresh lemon juice, sheep's feta and Kalamata Olives.

• Like 2

This morning:

• Marcella Hazan's simple tomato sauce, with ripe tomatoes (de-skinned, de-seeded, juices retained). Tossed w/ Cipriani tagliarelle Classiche.

• Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved; simmered in salted water till done, drained, tossed w/ EV olive oil & generous ground white pepper.

DSCN9708b_1k.jpg

DSCN9713b_1k.jpg

• Like 1

IMG_20131015_091839770.jpg

My standard breakfast these mornings is a plain Greek yogurt parfait with honey, homemade granola, blueberries and grapes that my husband lovingly halves for me :-)

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

Cream cheese, sanduche cheese, pernil, and fresh garden tomato on amaranth-herb bagels. It was the yum.

Sammidge1.jpg

Sammidge2.jpg

Note to the curious: if you look up "pernil" in general you'll find lots of things about ham. Ecuadorian pernil is a different creature - it's certainly a pork product, but I wouldn't class it as a ham in the sense you're all used to. The spices and curing process used mean it's more like huge slices of well-seasoned bacon with less of the fat and more of the porky goodness. Pernil in other countries bears exactly zero resemblance to pernil in Ecuador.....

• Like 3

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Note to the curious: if you look up "pernil" in general you'll find lots of things about ham. Ecuadorian pernil is a different creature - it's certainly a pork product, but I wouldn't class it as a ham in the sense you're all used to. The spices and curing process used mean it's more like huge slices of well-seasoned bacon with less of the fat and more of the porky goodness. Pernil in other countries bears exactly zero resemblance to pernil in Ecuador.....

Is it smoked? What you describe does sound a little bit like what is called "Farmer's Ham" in my parts, a.k.a. Bauernschinken - this certainly is bacon-like to me, anyway; and pretty salty at times, depending on the batch and who's making it.

Thank you, Ann. Fantastic pizzas – we should work out a breakfast exchange.

Huiray - Your turmeric chicken wings looked just as vibrant at breakfast as at Dinner!

Creamy slow-scrambled eggs with cooked-down salsa verde, heavy cream, and Mexican oregano, topped with fresh tomato, radish, minced shallot, feta cheese, and Hawk Hollow Heat hot sauce. I like this brand of corn tortillas – they actually puff up when heated directly over the flame.

p442726340-4.jpg

• Like 1

Is it smoked? What you describe does sound a little bit like what is called "Farmer's Ham" in my parts, a.k.a. Bauernschinken - this certainly is bacon-like to me, anyway; and pretty salty at times, depending on the batch and who's making it.

Judging by the flavour of what I'm currently eating, it's lightly smoked over something very mild, maybe peach wood? It's not overly salty either - just enough to bring out the bacon-ish flavour. The texture is closer to roast pork hock than it is to most commercial style hams, and there's a definite and pronounced marble and grain in the meat. And as with most artisan style cured meats in this country, every single producer has a slightly different spice mixture and curing trick, so no two pernil are ever quite alike. I've eaten bauernshinken; pernil is similar in texture but the spices take it in different direction entirely.

The next town down the road from me, Riobamba, is justifiably famous for its bone-in pernil - next time I'm there, I'll try to find out a bit more about the process and spices involved...

• Like 1

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)