• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2013

chefmd

pquinene, on 09 Jan 2013 - 11:34, said:

I've discovered homemade granola is so much better than store-bought. A half-cup of the cereal with 1/3 cup of low-fat milk is plenty for one serving. Here's a pic with a link to my recipe.

Homemade Granola

I don't care much for sweet breakfast cereals, and this one doesn't seem too sweet. I know it's subjective, but do you find it sweet? Do you think the recipe would suffer by reducing the maple syrup or honey?

... Shel

home made (machine) bread ( 1/3 white whole wheat / 2/3 white ) thick cut, toasted. Chunky Skippy PB, TJ's orange marmalade. double espresso. home roast. 1/3 each: guatemala, sulawesi, DP brazil. Sweet Maria's greens. roasted to 445 F. AlexiaPID vis K3 doseless.

I cut the crust off the HMMB, it gets really tough in the toaster oven. the coffee is black 1/2 already gone. who can wait?

Breakfast.jpg

Huevos–sorta-rancheros – Fried eggs topped with a cooked salsa of roasted garden tomato, roasted garlic, chipotles en adobo, cinnamon, black pepper, and Mexican oregano. Feta cheese, chopped shallots, and flour tortillas (because that is what we had). Even with all the substitutions, salsa in prime tomato season is hard to beat.

Mrs. C used the salsa to concoct a breakfast with egg and leftover cheesy mashed potatoes that my brother made.

p1994033966-4.jpg

• Like 4

simple breakfast today.. S Cookies (essi) and coffee.. This never fails to remind me of my father, sitting at the dinning room table dipping his biscuits in coffee. corrected of course. I like to imagine that it reminded him of his childhood in italy watching his family doing the same thing.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Sunday breakfast: Char Siu Bau [Prime Food]. Simply steamed, bamboo basket.

Monday breakfast: Simple Corn & Malunggay leaves soup. Chopped shallot, chopped smashed garlic, vegetable oil, bi-color corn kernels sliced off the ear, salt, water + chicken stock, simmer, trimmed malunggay leaflets.

DSCN9502a_1k.jpg

DSCN9509a_1k.jpg

• Like 3

image.jpg

Methi-flavoured roti filled with scrambled eggs.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sauteed iceberg lettuce and peas topped with a poached egg.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

nice plates A.N.

Thank you. Assuming you mean the porcelain ones, they are all thrift store finds (often spotted by Kerry Beal), and they pose a serious storage problem -- they don't stack! My kitchen is starting to look like a show room for china and such.

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday:

image.jpg

A couple of fried eggs over some vegetables I had roasted the day before. Brussels sprouts, sweet potato and shallots. I will often roast a tray of vegetables and use them in various ways over a few days.

Today

image.jpg:

A mushroom and chive frittata.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Bak Kut Teh for breakfast today, with white rice. Cooked this morning.

DSCN9563a_1k.jpg

Stuff that went in: Water; pork baby back ribs; 3 medium-sized heads of garlic (Music); (bring to simmer, scum skimmed off); "Tong Kwai" (當歸; Yale: dong1 gwai1; "Radix Angelica Sinensis"; Angelica sinensis), "Yook Chook" (玉竹; Yale: yuk6 juk1; Polygonatum odoratum (Mill.) Druce),“Tong Sam” (黨參; Yale: dong2 sam1; Codonopsis pilosula Nannf), "Chan Pei" (陳皮; Yale: chan4 pei4; dried tangerine peel), dried longans; (simmer 30-40 min); star anise, whole cloves, stick cinnamon; fried tofu puffs [Phoenix Bean LLC]; (simmer some more); superior light soy sauce [Pearl River], aged soy sauce [Kimlan], oyster sauce [LKK]; (simmer some more). Basically in that order. Total time was around 1.5 - 2 hours.

White rice was basmati, "Shan" brand 'Himalayan Basmati Rice'. Pakistani brand (Karachi).

Pic of the simmering mixture just after the star anise/cloves/cinnamon were added. (The ribs are at the bottom)

DSCN9559b_1k.jpg

• Like 3

Huiray, you have much more ambition than I in the morning!

image.jpg

Sauteed onion, mushrooms and bok choy seasoned with a little oyster sauce and topped with a fried egg.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Mashed sweet potato seasoned with Aleppo pepper to accompany two eggs cooked sous vide at 75 C for 15 minutes.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Ricotta scrambled with salsa ranchera (requeson revuelto con salsa de jitomate) – one of my favorite breakfasts. For the sauce, broil garden tomatoes and jalapeno chiles and blend, browned bits and all, with garlic and chipotles in adobo. Fry chopped white onion gently, mix in the puree, and reduce over high heat.

Squeeze ricotta in cheesecloth until dry, fry more white onion, add the ricotta, and then mix in the sauce and cook until dry. Served with warm flour tortillas and tomatillo salsa.

Great garden tomatoes yield wonderful flavor, and tomatillo salsa adds a nice tang.

p219262606-4.jpg

gpark – I really like your spin on eggs Benedict! It got me thinking of a southern version – grits cake, country ham, egg and some kind of variation of béarnaise! Thanks for the inspiration!

Anna – that Vietnamese pancake looks so incredible. My daughter and I have fallen in love with that very dish at our local Vietnamese restaurant. Thanks so much for telling us how to find the recipe. I’m going to give it a try and surprise her.

Ann – all your breakfasts look divine, but those apple fritters are just amazing.

I’ve been seriously MIA, I know! I have had health issues since the middle of August culminating in a bad fall a couple of weeks ago – right now I’m in a back brace with a fractured vertebra. This all means that my time cooking and sitting at a computer has been (and will continue to be) very abbreviated. But I have cooked some –

med_gallery_3331_117_78921.jpg

Scrambled eggs and sausage biscuits with gravy. And some watermelon:

med_gallery_3331_117_13456.jpg

Another:

med_gallery_3331_117_83033.jpg

Thick and Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes, Benton’s bacon and some sausage that Mr. Kim smoked. Fabulous.

• Like 2