• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2013

chefmd

your bacon looks very different from 'western' bacon. almost as if it were solid meat. is it belly?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'western bacon'. American bacon is very different from standard British bacon (which would be more 'solid meat'), for example.

As to what I used, I guess it's belly. It's just supermarket packet bacon. American style. Perhaps, it looks more solid because most of the fat has been rendered out.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpg

Two Eggs Over Easy and Applewood Smoked Bacon

image.jpg

The Money Shot!

And I would willingly pay to eat it! A perfectly simple meal perfectly executed.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I don't often post my breakfasts because they usually consist of a shot of espresso (sometimes accompanied by a half piece of toasted bread with jam or honey, if I feel extravagant), but here is one from this weekend. A couple of fried duck eggs, Benton's bacon, local avocados & cherry tomatoes.

9637194731_f69d849a65_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

I don't often post my breakfasts because they usually consist of a shot of espresso (sometimes accompanied by a half piece of toasted bread with jam or honey, if I feel extravagant), but here is one from this weekend. A couple of fried duck eggs, Benton's bacon, local avocados & cherry tomatoes.

9637194731_f69d849a65_z.jpg

Great looking breakfast and I love your choice of beverage.

Early breakfast:

Sapporo Ichiban chicken flavor instant ramen (Oh, the horror!!! NOT.) gussied up with chopped Rainbow Chard, a couple of poached farm eggs, a splash of veggie oil, and some of the leftover sautéed zucchini from the previous day's lunch.

:-)

DSCN9436a_1k.jpg

I eat "instant ramen" without any feelings of guilt. It's not gourmet food but it's decent, some brands better than others. ;-)

Today - Leek & Potato soup. (and onions, of course) Not blended, I prefer soup with solids floating in it - as I'm sure some may have noticed about my soups in general. The ingredients included a couple of leeks, small red Yukon potatoes (skin on), cipollini onions, bay leaves, sea salt, good olive oil. Darn, I partially burnt the onions when sautéeing them...and fished out most of the burnt pieces, but not all. The soup tasted fine, anyway. :-)

DSCN9464b_1k.jpg

image.jpg

More leftover chicken and vegetables sauteed with a good helping of home made kimchi.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Another b'fast some days back - Angled loofah, fish balls, snow fungus, garlic soup.

Have I been living in a cave? I can honestly say I don't think I've ever realized people ate loofah. I just googled it and was enlightened.

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Anna, what a nice spicy way to start the day.

Thank you. I cannot eat sweet things in the morning.

image.jpg

Chive pancakes with a couple of fried eggs.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Those chive pancakes look delicious; is there a recipe, or is it just beaten eggs and chives? I dearly love scallion pancakes from the Chinese restaurant, but they're SO oily!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Those chive pancakes look delicious; is there a recipe, or is it just beaten eggs and chives? I dearly love scallion pancakes from the Chinese restaurant, but they're SO oily!

I used the recipe from the blog "101 Cookbooks" but substituted white rice flour.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Zucchini and carrot fritters with tomato chutney.

image.jpg

63C eggs on toasted, home-made ciabatta (with home-made butter compliments of Kerry Beal) and pickled beets.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog