• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2013

chefmd

image.jpg

Leftover Chinese takeout. Will be lunch and dinner too! Won't be ordering in again any time soon. Too much food for this guilt-ridden, ration book kid!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Banh xeo (Vietnamese crispy pancake). Nailed it on the umpteenth try which means it will serve as brunch instead of breakfast! The secret is getting the batter much, much thinner than you think it ought to be and then cooking it much, much longer than seems reasonable. This one was filled with seasoned ground pork and bean sprouts. I did not bother with the accompaniments or a dipping sauce as I wanted to just figure out the pancake. Though I had purchased a Banh xeo mix yesterday, I made this batter from scratch.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Tocino (store-bought Filipino marinated pork) garlic fried rice and a sunny-side egg.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Went grocery shopping very, very early this morning and spotted some baby beef liver. This is a relatively rare find and is something I just love and so..... Put my groceries away, sliced up and fried an onion, seasoned and floured the liver and breakfast was served. Why didn't I save it for dinner? Have company coming and they would die rather than eat liver!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

That looks awesome! Can you share your recipe for the batter? Mine always comes out limp :( I might try making mine smaller like these

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/05/snapshots-from-vietnam-central-vietnamese-dishes-slideshow.html#show-328943

Anna N, on 27 Aug 2013 - 08:27, said:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Banh xeo (Vietnamese crispy pancake). Nailed it on the umpteenth try which means it will serve as brunch instead of breakfast! The secret is getting the batter much, much thinner than you think it ought to be and then cooking it much, much longer than seems reasonable. This one was filled with seasoned ground pork and bean sprouts. I did not bother with the accompaniments or a dipping sauce as I wanted to just figure out the pancake. Though I had purchased a Banh xeo mix yesterday, I made this batter from scratch.

Here, there is a difference between baby beef liver and calves liver. If I could find calves liver I'd have it for breakfast too.

So would I. I just wondered if there was a difference and what that difference might be.

Frankly I think in this region they are all meaningless marketing terms. When I checked my bill to make sure it was correct I was surprised to see that I had bought veal liver! I just know that as long as it is labelled either calves liver or baby beef liver it will be tender (fragile when raw) and mild tasting. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

My 2004 eG Blog

That looks awesome! Can you share your recipe for the batter? Mine always comes out limp :( I might try making mine smaller like thesehttp://www.seriouseats.com/2013/05/snapshots-from-vietnam-central-vietnamese-dishes-slideshow.html#show-328943

Anna N, on 27 Aug 2013 - 08:27, said:attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The batter is from the Rasa Malaysia web site.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Jean-Georges Vongerichten's Ginger Fried Rice. This is one of Food52's Genius recipes which are almost always worth trying.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Went grocery shopping very, very early this morning and spotted some baby beef liver. This is a relatively rare find and is something I just love and so..... Put my groceries away, sliced up and fried an onion, seasoned and floured the liver and breakfast was served. Why didn't I save it for dinner? Have company coming and they would die rather than eat liver!

Anna, I'd kill for that liver, not die of it! Yum! How long and at what heat did you cook it? What did you season it with prior to cooking? TIA!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Anna, I'd kill for that liver, not die of it! Yum! How long and at what heat did you cook it? What did you season it with prior to cooking? TIA!

It was seasoned with nothing more exotic than salt and pepper, dredged in flour and quickly fried in a combination of olive oil and butter. The pan was hot enough to sear it immediately and I then reduced the heat minimally to cook it through, flipped to sear the second side. It took no more than 5 minutes.

My 2004 eG Blog

Toasted white whole wheat sandwich bread, Cain's mayonnaise(I am a Miracle Whip girl but I LOVE the taste of this mayo)and thinly sliced Brandywine tomatoes. Is there anything better in the summer than this?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

That is something I have not heard before - can you describe the taste of the bamboo liquid?

I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it. It's a little known speciality of the Zhuang people in a rural area of this part of China (near the border with Vietnam).

The taste is subtle. Slightly sweet with hints of asparagus and of grapes, which is much better than it sounds. I find it very refreshing.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpg

Spiced mushroom stuffed egg rolls and a slice of home made semolina bread.

My 2004 eG Blog