• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2013

chefmd

Buttermilk%20Biscuits%20August%205th%2C%

Buttermilk Biscuits

Buttermilk%20Biscuits%20Breakfast%20Augu

Scrambled Eggs (farm fresh laid yesterday), local sausage and fried potatoes.

I was clicking thru pages on tastespotting and the image of Buttermilk Biscuits in a cast iron pan jumped out at me, and I knew immediately it had to be from your blog page

• Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

attachicon.gifDuck fat fried potatoes and poached duck egg 1.jpg

Duck fat fried potato slices with poached duck egg.

And the money shot.

attachicon.gifDuck fat fried potatoes and poached duck egg 2.jpg

I am drooling.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Several recent breakfasts.

-------------------

• Zucchini fritters

• Pork liver & fig terrine [Goose the Market] w/ sautéed zucchini sticks.

DSCN9286a_1k.jpg

DSCN9283a_1k.jpg

------------------

• Chicken & veggies soup. (slow-simmered)

DSCN9301a_1k.jpg

------------------

• Winter melon, beef, “tung koo” & garlic (Purple Glazer) soup. Eaten with white rice.

DSCN9344a_1k.jpg

huiray, I notice that the difference between your breakfast and lunch meals is not clear to me. The way I cook and was brought up is to eat quite distinct foodstuffs for breakfast and for the other meals; cereal, fruit, yogurt etc for breakfast but not dinner, for example. Soup for lunch but not breakfast. Do you cook differently for the different meals, and does your habit come from culture or preference?

• Like 1

Plantes Vertes,

I make little differentiation between what is supposed to be "breakfast foods" or "lunch foods" or "dinner foods". It largely depends on what I feel like eating. I do have preferences for savory breakfasts, however, in keeping with much of the world outside of the Western Hemisphere (where common breakfasts in East or SE Asia, for example, would be things like congee or noodles or soups, yes, or various sorts of savory rice with accompaniments, that sort of thing, etc etc. Or Bak Kut Teh - with pig intestines, lotsa garlic, pork ribs, pork knuckles etc etc - for breakfast, of course; something which I prepare and eat in the mornings, afternoons and nights at various times.)

For myself, I do not think that I need to eat eggs or cereal or fruit/yogurt for breakfast and not for other meal times. In fact, I can't remember the last time I even had cereal for breakfast. It is also seldom that I eat the high-sugar pastries common in some parts of the Western World - think "Danish Pastries" or "Cinnamon Buns" in the US - I'll pass, thank you very much. For that matter, I also find it interesting when some folks declare sheepishly that they had "breakfast" for dinner when they had some sort of egg dish like an omelette - why not simply say you had an omelette for dinner? There should not, IMO, be foods that are verboten for a specific meal at a specific time of day; but I recognize that others feel differently.

ETA: The name for the meal I have is predicated on the time, roughly corresponding to the "conventional" breakfast = break-the-fast = a meal eaten sometime in the period straddling early morning and late morning; lunch = the period between late morning and late afternoon; and dinner = late afternoon/early evening and late night and thereabouts. For the purposes of discussion this is all that is meant when I talk about the meals I have. I don't limit the types of food I eat to what might be "assigned" to those kinds of meals by some.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 2

Tomato chutney (http://forums.egullet.org/topic/9924-tomato-chutney/?p=96419) on toasted, home made baguette.

image.jpg

This chutney was pureed as it was intended to be put into squeeze bottles for ease of serving at the 2013 Niagara Eggfest. It was a brilliant idea and might have worked had we only remembered to take the squeeze bottles.

I am another person who doesn't believe that any food is restricted to a particular meal.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Portobella caps, gills removed, sprinkled with some crumbled blue cheese and topped with poached eggs.

My 2004 eG Blog

AnnT, all your baking looks extraordinary! What kind of oven do you have?

Okanagan, Thank you. My oven is nothing special. Main range is Whirlpool. And I have a counter top Waring Pro Convection oven that I use a lot, especially in the summer months. The biscuits were baked in this oven. . But also great for high heat roasting. Heats up to 500°F.

Okanagan, Thank you. My oven is nothing special. Main range is Whirlpool. And I have a counter top Waring Pro Convection oven that I use a lot, especially in the summer months. The biscuits were baked in this oven. . But also great for high heat roasting. Heats up to 500°F.
Must be the convection oven that gets your baked goods so nice and evenly browned.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Portobella caps, gills removed, sprinkled with some crumbled blue cheese and topped with poached eggs.

I really enjoy portobellos and use them often as I have access to nice ones at a great price. Just curious about the gill removal. I know in some apps they are more prone to turn thinks "black". Did you think they would turn the lovely eggs dark?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I really enjoy portobellos and use them often as I have access to nice ones at a great price. Just curious about the gill removal. I know in some apps they are more prone to turn thinks "black". Did you think they would turn the lovely eggs dark?

Really I removed the gills only so that the eggs had a liitle "bed" to rest in. I doubt the gills would have discoloured the eggs as they were poached separately.

My 2004 eG Blog

Must be the convection oven that gets your baked goods so nice and evenly browned.

Okanagancook, although both ovens are convection, (the Whirlpool has true convection with the third oven burner) I never use the convection option on either oven.

~Ann

image.jpg

Thinly sliced, leftover 5-spice duck breast on home made, toasted ciabatta.

My 2004 eG Blog

Duck looks good, Anna N.

Interesting Eggs B, gpark.

Nice stuff, everyone.

Ann_T, I never did ask about that Egg Biryani you had a little while ago. Looks lovely - some details, please?