• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2013

chefmd

Early a.m. breakfast.

"Beef & green onion dumplings" ("shui kow" type, 水餃) [Wei Chuan] in chicken stock & chiffonaded collard greens soup, together w/ a couple of "far koo" plus a few lightly crushed garlic cloves.

DSCN8567c_1k.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)

Huiray, I would be happy to eat your breakfast, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. What a way to start the day.

Potato%20Waffles%20May%2016th%2C%202013%

I'm on a "waffle kick". The novelty of my new waffle maker hasn't wore off yet.

I made Potato Waffles for breakfast. Didn't have a recipe, so I just parboiled a couple of Russet Potatoes, grated and seasoned with salt, pepper, chives and cheddar cheese. Added melted butter, egg yolks and beaten egg whites.

Potato%20Waffles%20May%2016th%2C%202013%

Now that is one beautiful poached egg.

Moe had Rhubarb Pie for breakfast.

Rhubarb%20Pie%20May%2017th%2C%202013%204

What a nice photo. [The food's tasty too, I'm sure. :-) ] Did the plates inspire the (planting of) the flowers, or did the flowers inspire the plates? (private commission?) Nice table (countertop?) too.

p.s. Thanks for the compliment upthread. Glad you'd like those dumplings and soup for any meal. :-)

B'fast today:

• Pork, dried beancurd sticks & shiitake mushrooms braised in pork bone stock. Served over rice (Basmati).

The braise was a two-day affair. Of course, that did not mean I was standing over it for two days. :-)

Step 1: Pork bone stock, this particular version: Meaty pork bones (shin & knuckle bones mostly, lots of marrow; some meat still attached; about 3 lbs) were boiled in water for ~5+ minutes or so, everything dumped in the sink, the bones washed/rinsed under cool running water while rubbing off debris and congealed blood;§ placed into a fresh clean pot, fresh cold water added to cover the bones plus an inch more, salted lightly, some slices of fresh ginger added and the mixture brought to a boil then simmered gently on low flame for about 4-5 hours. The heat was shut off and the mix left overnight (tightly covered) on the stove. It was reheated the next day, a handful of big red-black Chinese jujubes added and simmering continued for another 2-3 hours, allowed to cool, the bones removed and the stock filtered through cheesecloth and reserved. Lots of gelatin in the stock which had a pleasant intense porky flavor w/ the distinct aroma & taste of the jujubes.

Step 2: Fresh shiitake mushrooms (From farmers' market) were de-stemmed, washed and reserved. Dried beancurd sticks ("Fu Chook"; (圓枝)腐竹; Yale Cantonese: fu6 juk1) [imperial Taste brand] were broken into shorter lengths and soaked for a while to soften. Fresh pork (USAmerican "country-style" boneless, slightly fatty) was cut against the grain into slices somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 inches in thickness. The stock was reheated, some crushed garlic cloves put in, followed by the pork & softened beancurd stick pieces, then later by the mushrooms and everything simmered for about an hour or so. Salting (sea salt) was adjusted, and the mix left to meld overnight.

§ This parboiling process is known in Chinese as "飛水", literally "Fly Water". p.s. "Fly" as in movement through the air on wings, not that pesky insect. In this case one could think of it as "the bones flying through hot water, briefly". :-)

I used the big variety sold/known as “Tai Nam Chou” (大南棗) (sort-of-smoked large Chinese jujubes).

DSCN8625b_1k.jpg

When we lived in north Jersey, YEARS ago, we had a huge stand of day lilies in the back yard. I loved the buds, steamed with soy sauce. They taste like snow peas.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Ann – thank you. I am like Moe and could eat eggs every day. When our daughter was little, Friday night was always ‘Breakfast for dinner night’. I thought it was this great treat – cozy, comforting – really creating those warm family traditions. Well, Jessica said to me one Friday morning, “Do we HAVE to have breakfast EVERY Friday?” She STILL doesn’t really care for eggs at night! Those breakfast tacos look wonderful. And it’s so funny that your last picture was of the yeasted waffles. When I read you saying that you had just gotten a waffle maker and were experimenting, I immediately thought of yeasted waffles and was going to recommend them! And potato waffles sound perfectly perfect. BTW – corn bread waffles (just cornbread batter cooked in the waffle maker) are fabulous, as are gingerbread waffles.

liuzhou – what an absolutely gorgeous poached egg.

A recent breakfast:

med_gallery_3331_117_47617.jpg

Mr. Kim’s was scrambled eggs and sausage on an ET bagel. My variation:

med_gallery_3331_117_92446.jpg

Kim, Moe would be happy to have breakfast for dinner. I just can't get that excited over eggs.

I love the more "untraditional" (at least for me) breakfasts share here by Percy, Bruce, Huiray, Tina, yourself and many others.

We did have eggs this morning.

Soft%20Boiled%20Eggs%20May%2029th%2C%202

Moe's favourite soft boiled eggs with toast fingers and

Hard%20Boiled%20Eggs%20May%2029th%2C%202

for me, hard boiled eggs, mixed with butter, salt, pepper and chives.

Actually the eggs were steamed. Ten minutes for mine and four minutes for Moe's.

Kim, Moe would be happy to have breakfast for dinner. I just can't get that excited over eggs.

I love the more "untraditional" (at least for me) breakfasts share here by Percy, Bruce, Huiray, Tina, yourself and many others.

Soft%20Boiled%20Eggs%20May%2029th%2C%202

Actually the eggs were steamed. Ten minutes for mine and four minutes for Moe's.

To eat egg "a la coque" you pour it in a glass and add butter to it? Never thought of serving eggs this way. I should try it!

Edited by Franci (log)

I made an omelette this a.m. and added one micro-steamed pork burn of the type mentioned earlier:

I was surprised how well they went together: I a pork sausage person over bacon with eggs if I can get it. I dont make it. but the combo of the steamed (microwaved) pork dumpling and eggs satisfied the bread/porksausage portion of a more traditional breakfast.

shame I didnt think of this before.

sorry no picture: woofed it down.

http://thibeault.smugmug.com/Food/Breakfast/i-VLM7tJS/0/XL/Soft%20Boiled%20Eggs%20May%2029th%2C%202013-XL.jpg

To eat egg "a la coque" you pour it in a glass and add butter to it? Never thought of serving eggs this way. I should try it!

I like to drink my soft boiled eggs. With a bit of good soy sauce & a good grind of pepper, white preferred over black, out of a rice bowl. Done it all my life when I've had them.

Unless I was a guest somewhere and the host(ess) dug out her otherwise-never-used egg cups when I would be polite and do the tap-tap-tap routine with a teaspoon and remove the top and sprinkle salt and whatever and daintily eat the contents with the spoon while trying not to break the rest of the eggshell and dump the rest of the being-excruciatingly-eaten egg onto the table. :-D