• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2013

chefmd

Bruce – the scrambled eggs with all the ‘stuff’ looks like something that Mr. Kim would love. We usually have spinach and peppers. He’s off work this week – I’ll make them for him one morning!

Tina – I am finding the idea of a black sesame soufflé really intriguing! It is one of my favorite flavors.

Soba – that poached egg and salad is simply gorgeous.

Breakfast today:

med_gallery_3331_117_4430.jpg

Mini quiche Lorraine and sausage rolls. Freezer gift :laugh: !

Mr. Kim is off this week. His breakfast this morning was inspired by Bruce:

med_gallery_3331_117_47265.jpg

Scrambled eggs with onion, spinach, jalapenos and cilantro. With Benton’s bacon and Campari tomatoes. I told Mr. Kim that he would enjoy living with you, Bruce – every single thing I’ve ever seen you make is something that he would love. Living with sissy-tongued me drives him batty, I’m sure! He loves spicy food, Asian food and Mexican food. None of which I’m very good at!

Breakfast was taken on the run this morning - train to catch.

Sesame lotus cake. 芝麻莲蓉包 (zhī má lián róng bāo).

Sticky and very sweet. Not really what I like for breakfast. Not really what I like any time. But it filled the gap.

It is about 24 cm (9½ inches) in diameter. I only ate a wedge of it.

sesame lotus cake1.jpg

sesame lotus cake2a.jpg

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Mr. Kim’s breakfast yesterday:

med_gallery_3331_117_10319.jpg

ET bagel with cream cheese and Benton’s bacon.

Mine:

med_gallery_3331_117_24932.jpg

Asiago bagel w/ a perfect fried egg – done with Ashen’s method.

Mr. Kim’s breakfast this morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_50729.jpg

Fried bread and egg topped with the leftover morels and wine sauce from our recent steak dinner.

liuzhou, that's a huge lotus cake, almost like a sesame 烧饼. My favorite stuffing for Chinese cake is always red bean~

Well, I know red beans etc are popular - but I just don't have a sweet tooth at all. Especially for breakfast. I want smoked pig!

Mmmm, rhubarb . . .

Mexican scrambled eggs and fried plantains. A day off work = much better breakfast than usual!

Mmmmm, plantain...

*salivates*

That is a better breakfast!

ETA: At my local Jamaican bar they won't serve you (and might inflict some sort of violence on you) if you don't order fried plantains. I obey with good grace.

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)

B'fast today - Tianjin baoji (pork) and "Vegetable" baoji from a local vendor. I like the "vegetable" ones - they have onions, cellophane noodles, Chinese chives, scallions, scrambled eggs, dried shrimp and some cabbage in the filling and are quite tasty.

DSCN8489b_1k.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)

001.JPG

Fried farm egg with "pork-infused" tomato sauce and pinto beans.

"Pork-infused" tomato sauce -- crushed San Marzano tomatoes cooked with onion, white wine, smoked bacon, Chinese pork sausage and pancetta.

The eggs were fried in olive oil; the beans were soaked overnight, then simmered with a basic mirepoix and seasoned with sea salt and black pepper.

B'fast today - Tianjin baoji (pork) and "Vegetable" baoji from a local vendor. I like the "vegetable" ones - they have onions, cellophane noodles, Chinese chives, scallions, scrambled eggs, dried shrimp and some cabbage in the filling and are quite tasty.

attachicon.gifDSCN8489b_1k.jpg

Well that is a filling I must replicate.

Heidh,

Amen! Almost all ingredients are favorites. Maybe a little bit of minced prosciutto, just for the hell of it?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

So many wonderful interesting breakfasts.

TinaYuan, I am trying to imagine the flavours of your black sesame souffle. I think I would really like that.

Kim you have been cooking Mr. Kim some really delicious looking breakfasts. Moe would love every one of them.

Ashen, that is my idea of breakfast. Something sweet to go with a rich dark coffee.

Bruce, your meals always appeal to me.

Percyn, I'd be happy with just the fried rice and the kimchi. Steak and eggs is Moe's favourite.

Breakfasts recently haven't been too exciting. I'm not as big a breakfast fan as Moe. He would eat eggs every day if he could. I have a farmer that brings me two dozen fresh eggs each week so I've been making Moe a lot of egg white omelets. He will take eggs anyway he can get them. So he is happy.

Potato%20and%20Egg%20Tacos%20Mexican%20B

I used up some leftover homemade corn tortillas in breakfast one morning. Potato and Egg tacos.

I've been playing with a new toy - Waffle Maker - the last few weeks.

Waffles%20April%2025th%2C%202013%204-L.j

First time I used it I made buttermilk waffles served two ways.

Yeast%20Raised%20Waffles%20May%209th%2C%

I've been searching for the perfect waffle and

Yeast%20Raised%20Waffles%20May%209th%2C%

I think I found it with Marion Cunningham's Yeast Raised Waffles.

Edited by Ann_T (log)

Ive become addicted to Pork Buns:

PorkBuns.jpg

these are in the refrigerated section of my Chinese Grocery Store ( Hong Kong Alliston BOS )

there are about 6 varieties, for me the Pork& Napa is the best

they end up like this after 60 sec in the microwave for 3:

PorkBunBreakfast.jpg

on the bun: fresh grated ginger/red chili oil. dipping sauce: soysauce, vinager, ginger, garlic and more chili oil. green onions got forgotten this time.

delicious.

Ive become addicted to Pork Buns:

attachicon.gifPorkBuns.jpg

these are in the refrigerated section of my Chinese Grocery Store ( Hong Kong Alliston BOS )

there are about 6 varieties, for me the Pork& Napa is the best

they end up like this after 60 sec in the microwave for 3:

attachicon.gifPorkBunBreakfast.jpg

on the bun: fresh grated ginger/red chili oil. dipping sauce: soysauce, vinager, ginger, garlic and more chili oil. green onions got forgotten this time.

delicious.

Heh. Go for it!

Have you tried them steamed?

BTW, the Chinese on the package does not actually specify Napa cabbage. The relevant bits (蔬菜)(the third and fourth characters from the left) just say "Vegetables" as the broad class or category. Can you detect any other vegetables in the filling?

no other veg I can tell the microwave seems to work fine and is very quick. Who can wait? there is one that has 'kimchee' in it.

Kimchee.jpg

its a little coarser in texture and not as porky cant say if its kimchee is detectable as the chili oil i use covers that up.

the secret is the freshy grated coarse ginger ( a lot !) that i grate from fresh that I keep skin on wrapped in the freezer. much easier to grate and keep that way.

there are veg only, some roast pork that I have not tried and sow's ear. a little too much crunch in that one for me.

3 packs for 5 bucks ! better than the frozen I think.

the first one ( 'napa') lists the identical ingredients, who knew, but its more porky.

Edited by rotuts (log)

the Chinese on the package does not actually specify Napa cabbage. The relevant bits (蔬菜)(the third and fourth characters from the left) just say "Vegetables"

No. It doesn't specify pork, either.

However, the ingredients are listed quite clearly in English, as required by law. They are made in the USA after all.

I should be glad that the store is not closer to me. Id suffer from various 'food deficiencies' fairly quickly eating these evey day.

green onion only gets into the 'dip' 50 % of the time Im in such a hurry to gobble these up.