• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2013

chefmd

"Spicy & Hot with Braised Chitterlings Flavor Vermicelli" (麻辣肥腸粉絲) [Lam Sheng Kee "Healthy Food" (brand)] with chopped scallions added in. :smile:

[Actually, "肥腸" is "fat intestine" and would usually be the colorectum. ;-) The soup in this does have the expected "taste" and is pleasantly spicy although not very "numbing" (the "麻辣" or "ma la" part). The vermicelli is cellophane noodles. The spicing mix (in 2 internal bags) also contains (dried) whole soy beans.]

Lemon stilton? Does it actually taste lemony, or is it just a color thing ?

“With dried candied lemon peel.” It does have some lemon flavor, but not enough to be particularly noticeable against pasilla chile sauce. Queso fresco would have been my first choice . . .

Pork, shrimp, cabbage & mushroom wontons [Prime Food] with wonton noodles & "long Napa" cabbage. In soup made from sautéed sliced ginger & halved garlic cloves quenched w/ chicken broth & simmered w/ dried shiitake mushrooms & dried anchovies; decanted when done. The garlic and some of the shiitake (sliced) were recovered and added in to the dish.

DSCN7981a_1k.jpg

Now for a few catch-up posts...

Made homemade corned beef hash, thus a couple breakfasts featured:

IMG_2677.JPG

IMG_2680.JPG

IMG_2666.JPG

enjoyed with some Fresh Squeezed Blood Orange Juice

IMG_2673.JPG

The week prior I had this at the Dubai Emirates Lounge while waiting for my flight

Smoked Salmon

IMG_2620-1200.jpg

Soft Scrambled Eggs

IMG_2619-1200.jpg

Puri Bhaji

IMG_2621-1200.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2677.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2680.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2666.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2673.JPG

The week prior I had this at the Dubai Emirates Lounge while waiting for my flight

Smoked Salmon

attachicon.gifIMG_2620-1200.jpg

Soft Scrambled Eggs

attachicon.gifIMG_2619-1200.jpg

Puri Bhaji

attachicon.gifIMG_2621-1200.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2677.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2680.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2666.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2673.JPG

Smoked Salmon

attachicon.gifIMG_2620-1200.jpg

Soft Scrambled Eggs

attachicon.gifIMG_2619-1200.jpg

Puri Bhaji

attachicon.gifIMG_2621-1200.jpg

OHHHHH you were in Dubai! I want to be you!

This week will be the Dubai World Cup if you're in town again :)

OHHHHH you were in Dubai! I want to be you!

This week will be the Dubai World Cup if you're in town again :)

Unfortunately, I will miss the Dubai world cup this time. I had an acquaintance who's horse ran in one of the races but not this time around.

On another note, today;s breakfast was

Steak & Eggs w/Potatoes - Eggs were from Ms. Lulu, our friend's hen.

IMG_2774.JPG

It has been a while since I posted here. So many great breakfast. Love the variation. Wonderful to see Percy, Kim and Bruce still posting.

Halibut%20Fish%20Cakes%20with%20Poached%

I had some leftover halibut from dinner the night before. I made Moe, halibut Fish Cakes topped with poached eggs and hollandaise sauce.

~Ann

Ann_T

WoW. so much WoW. sooo glad you are back. if thats what you make even from Time to Time please help us all see this delicious stuff!

and thanks for the '$$$' shot.

that's Food p0rn at its very best;

seafood cakes like this Ive never thought about before.

Its on my List!

Happy Cooking! pls consider if you can to show us More!

An early breakfast today:

• Pork & Crab "Siu2 Lung4 Tong1 Baau1" (小籠湯包) (xiaolongbao) [Wei Chuan], steamed on Napa cabbage leaves

• Taiwan "Choy Sum" in pork stock soup.

• Steamed glutinous rice w/ pork & shiitake mushroom filling, wrapped in lotus leaves. [Commercial]

DSCN8140a_1k.jpg

DSCN8141a_1k.jpg

DSCN8144b_1k.jpg

Another early A.M. breakfast - fried rice w/ sliced "Vietnamese style" lap cheong [Prime Food], chopped scallions, chopped de-stringed Western celery, eggs scrambled in situ. Eaten w/ pickled chopped long hot green chillies & Lingham's Thai Hot Sauce.

DSCN8183c_1k.jpg

---------

Labeled as "with Mei Kwe Lu Flavor"‡§ but the list of ingredients shows that the flavoring ingredient is Fen Chiew, called on the list as "Gin" ("Distilled from 80% sorghum, 3% wheat, 4% rice, 5% peas, 8% white sugar; ALC 53% VOL") - and presumably "Fen Chiew" is "汾酒" which is a grain alcohol, more commonly described as a "vodka" of sorts.

The Vietnamese name on the package (Lạp Xưởng Mai Quế Lộ), so far as I can discover, suggests that it could be cinnamon flavored (?) - but I can't detect any cinnamon smell or flavor in it. Interestingly, one reviewer of one brand of "fen chiew" noted that the taste had cinnamon notes - to him, anyway...perhaps that might be a possible link? (comments from Vietnamese speakers welcome!)

§ The Chinese name on the package is "越式玫瑰露臘腸" which would mean "Vietnamese-style rose dew/distillate 'lap cheong' " which also conflicts with the list of ingredients (no rose extracts listed) (but the package containing the sausages is rose-colored, though) Perhaps a fanciful "transliteration" of the Vietnamese into Chinese? (Speculating) (The Yale Cantonese for the Chinese would be yut6 sik1 mui4 gwai3 lou6 laap6 cheung4).

Whatever. This package of 'lap cheong' provided me with some enjoyable head-scratching.

031.JPG

Poached farm egg, with fried leeks and smoked bacon

The bacon was made from heritage pigs, raised at Flying Pigs Farm (http://flyingpigsfarm.com). Eggs from Quattro's Game Farm (http://hudsonvalleybounty.com/listing/quattro’s-game-farm-farm-store) and leeks from Paffenroth Gardens (http://www.realtimefarms.com/farm/4689052/paffenroth-gardens).

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Yes, it's been forever since I posted. Yes, I'm still alive, emerging from work-induced hell.

A couple of breakfasts recently.

010_zps1854c281.jpg

A Mickey-Mouse themed brunch for a two-year-old's birthday. Who doesn't love pigs in a blanket, particularly with good honey mustard?\

052_zps02314ea3.jpg

OK, it looks like the cat threw it up, but it's eggs scrambled with bacon, diced tomatos, diced yellow squash, and I'm-not-sure-what-all-else, accompanied by cheese grits. Worked.

130_zps64338cb3.jpg

Latkes and a bagel with smoked salmon and cream cheese spread.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Ann_T – fish cakes, poached egg, and hollandaise looks absolutely divine!

huiray – your breakfasts look a lot like our dinners, but I wouldn’t complain

Spaghetti with spicy sausage sauce – with butter, garlic, tomatoes, cayenne, and Parmesan cheese. I had planned this for last night’s dinner, but arrived home to find that Mrs. C had a meal ready to eat.

Anyway, I had a taste for spicy sausage, and younger son was happy to help ensure no leftovers (even though it was his second breakfast).

p1512486222-4.jpg