• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2013

chefmd

I love that danish Christmas tree, Kim!

Breakfast here was crispbread smeared with avocado, and topped with flaked smoked eel and this extraordinarily delicious Japanese condiment I've just found; okazushoga (or that's what the Japanese text says, anyway). It's some kind of sprinkle for topping rice etc, like furikake - this is sort of oily clumps of ginger (the shoga), sugar, salt, onion powder and MSG. SO good. I have to find more of this!

IMG_5014.jpg

image.jpg

Appetizing gone wild. Vegetable frittatas, Bagels, schmears, lox, accoutrements. Family visiting for a wedding event this weekend.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I love that danish Christmas tree, Kim!

Breakfast here was crispbread smeared with avocado, and topped with flaked smoked eel and this extraordinarily delicious Japanese condiment I've just found; okazushoga (or that's what the Japanese text says, anyway). It's some kind of sprinkle for topping rice etc, like furikake - this is sort of oily clumps of ginger (the shoga), sugar, salt, onion powder and MSG. SO good. I have to find more of this!

IMG_5014.jpg

Mouthwatering! I put furikake on my eggs all the time, and with anything I'm adding umeboshi to; can't wait to find some of that okazushoga!

Vegetarian brunch for Inauguration Day:

8403443528_017fc86019_z.jpg

Chickpea and celery salad, with roasted leeks and Spanish figs

Adapted from this NYT recipe, but omitting the farro and garlic: http://www.nytimes.c...d-Currants.html (because farro isn't gluten-free, and I want people afflicted with celiac disease to be able to play too)

This version is vegan and will be on the blog later this week.

8403443252_dc5573c1d7_z.jpg

Poached farm egg, pan-fried potatoes and cauliflower greens, with cumin carrot "chips"

Cumin carrot "chips": slice carrots thinly either by hand (as I did) or with a mandoline, then toss with 2 teaspoons olive oil, a small pinch each of sea salt, black pepper and cumin, then arrange on a baking sheet. Roast at 400 F for 6 minutes, then at 375 F for 3-5 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet, then use as needed.

Home today, national holiday here in the US, what did I have? Popcorn. My new years resolution to make and eat brekkie is not going so good! LOL!

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

GEDC3877.jpg

sorry no runny yolk shot as they had gone a bit too far as I was distracted while making coffee. sauce in the centre is my fav hot sauce these days. GRACE green scotch bonnet sauce.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

robirdstx

how did they know they were doubles? this is something that has interested me for a while.

thanks for your help!

Sorry, I can not answer how they made the determination, but apparently there is no commercial market for eggs with multiple yolks. I just accepted the eggs and said thank you.

Edited by robirdstx (log)

I think it is called candling but it is just a setup with a bright light behind the egg and the yolk or yolks as the case may be can be seen through the shell.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I think it is called candling but it is just a setup with a bright light behind the egg and the yolk or yolks as the case may be can be seen through the shell.

You beat me to it. That's exactly how it's done. The name comes from the fact that in the old days it was actually done using a candle, today it's a bright light. In commercial applications, they actually use computerized visual recognition to sort the eggs.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Double-yolkers are the best! I get them at the farmers' market when I can.

Omelette with mushrooms and Saint-Andre cheese, accompanied by a screwdriver made with freshly squeezed juice:

DSCN0086.jpg

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch