• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 1)

Jason Perlow

I decided to pull the stove top smoker out of the closet and give it a whirl yesterday...

2013_02_22 Smoker w:fish.jpg

That's a whole 1.25# trout, along with a bunch of wild shrimp. So I made a little salad with arugula, almonds, celery and its leaves and tiny grape tomatoes. Healthy dinner...

2013_02_22 Smoked fish salad.jpg

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I have one of these buried somewhere. what did you use for smoke? i assume youve used tea, the kind in tins?

I seriously still had some of the wood shavings ("chips") that came with the thing. IIRC, it came with hickory, mesquite and grape vines.

I used the burgundy.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Soba – you know, I don’t like mushrooms, but your mushroom salad reminded me of how lovely a poached egg is on top of a salad. I need to do that soon. Mr. Kim is back on the low carb thing and that with some pork addition (maybe the peameal from below) would make a great low carb meal. Thank you. And those veal ricotta meatballs sound fantastic.

Kerry – that cauliflower is gorgeous. Must think about doing that. That color is exactly what I want (and never get – see below) when I roast cauliflower.

On our last trip to Florida we found peameal bacon at a German store in Sarasota. Finally made it for dinner last night:

med_gallery_3331_114_59196.jpg

With roasted cauliflower, sweet potatoes and biscuits. We loved the bacon – very intense flavor, like a cross between country ham and regular ham.

Kerry -- I saw that cauliflower recipe on Food52... How was it? I was worried that the cauliflower stalk that is part of the steak would be really tough...

Not tough at all - yummy!

Luckily I live right across the bay from that Zuni chicken. Been going there since I was a little kid!

Salmon mi cuit, brined in salt water for 15 minutes and poached at 104 degrees for 1 hour. Satsuma-champagne buerre blanc with terragon and chives.

48156_10151321977039372_1576696596_n.jpg

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Not home cooking this time, but dinner you have to cook yourself.

Last night, I had a bit of a reunion with some old friends. One had come all the way from the USA to China; two others had travelled all day to get here.

Being in the last days of the Spring Festival (Chinese New Year) holiday, we did the usual and went for a hotpot in a new restaurant in town. It is the last Friday of the holiday and the place was heaving and, as the Chinese like their restaurants, it was 热闹 (literally 'hot and noisy'). There were long lines of people waiting to get in. Fortunately, we had booked.

For the hotpot base we chose the most popular - 养生鸳鸯锅 - which literally translates as 'health preserving mandarin duck pot'. 鸳鸯 can also metaphorically mean 'an affectionate couple' and the pots normally have a couple of sections. Hence the name. But this one seems to have a baby in the centre..

attachicon.gifIMG_3618 (Large).jpg

The centre section contains Sichuan peppercorns, chillies and chilli bean paste. It is perforated on one side (the lower side in the picture above) allowing the flavours to mingle with the stock without the actual peppers etc getting in.

attachicon.gifIMG_3639 (Large).jpg

Each section is filled with chicken stock and placed in the centre of the table with an induction cooker underneath.

Then the additions for cooking in the soup start to pile up

attachicon.gifIMG_3610 (Large).jpg

L-R at the back, tofu and greens; at the front duck blood, taro and potato

attachicon.gifIMG_3613 (Large).jpg

Rice vermicelli

attachicon.gifIMG_3616 (Large).jpg

Daikon

attachicon.gifIMG_3630 (Large).jpg

Tofu (again)

attachicon.gifIMG_3625 (Large).jpg

Potato (again)

attachicon.gifIMG_3624 (Large).jpg

Dried Beancurd Milk Skin (腐竹)

attachicon.gifIMG_3607 (Large).JPG

Beef

attachicon.gifIMG_3632 (Large).jpg

And, of course, rice.

There were other things to be cooked in the soup base which I didn't photograph - the lighting wasn't helpful. I remember shiitake mushrooms, king oyster mushrooms and lamb. I'm sure there were more.

As it bubbles away the stock evaporates and the chilli side gets hotter and hotter. Fresh stock can be obtained to tame it down again, but it remains HOT. The clear side offers some light relief.

A beer or three were also on hand to douse the chilli heat and a fine time was had by all..

This looks so delicious. I'd love to be able to experience eating something like that!

image.jpg

Today was a big BBQ and grilling day. Lots of stuff cooked for different meals this week, but highlight of the evening were these charcoal grilled lemon pepper chicken wings

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Scotty – the salmon looks delicious. But, my Lord, that photo! That could grace the pages of the most artsy food mag in the world. Bravo!

Like Patrick, I thought that Robirdstx’s chicken pot pie looked wonderful and decided to try it today. Filling before baking:

med_gallery_3331_114_27577.jpg

After baking:

med_gallery_3331_114_134649.jpg

Slice with roasted cauliflower:

med_gallery_3331_114_144981.jpg

This was really, really good. Mr. Kim (who is not the biggest fan of ‘mixed up’ food, loved this). I think it is in permanent rotation in the Shook household. Thanks
so much for posting the recipe, Robirdstx!

Scotty -- you're killing me, man. LOL.

Thanks Kim. nice chicken pot pie. true comfort food at its best.

Liuzhou -- delish-looking meatballs. yum.

tonight:

8501696509_78f06c9510_z.jpg

Adirondack blue potato and beet salad, with crispy shiitake mushrooms and scallion-ginger relish

The beets and potatoes were simmered whole, then peeled and roasted with olive oil, sea salt and black pepper for 30 minutes at 350 F. They were cooked separately to prevent discoloration. The mushrooms were fried in olive oil, then sprinkled with sea salt.

Scallion-Ginger Relish

2 scallions, sliced (both green and white parts)
1 1" piece of ginger root, julienned
2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
1 teaspoon Cara Cara orange zest, julienned
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
a pinch of cayenne pepper

Warm vegetable or peanut oil in a skillet. When the oil shimmers, add the scallions and ginger to the pan. Fry until the ginger becomes aromatic and the scallion greens turn a bright green, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. With a slotted spoon, transfer scallions and ginger to a paper-towel lined plate. Let cool.

Once cool, transfer to a small bowl. Stir in orange zest, season with sesame oil, rice wine vinegar and cayenne pepper. Use as needed.

8501696335_2e79b49eab_z.jpg

French omelette (eggs, sea salt, black pepper, unsalted butter)
Brussels sprouts with pancetta (pancetta, brussels sprouts, olive oil, sea salt, black pepper)

Isn't it odd?

Shelby says

I'd love to be able to experience eating something like that!

At the same time I'm looking at the last post and thinking why don't the Chinese have brussel sprouts and only have one kind of (highly inferior) potato?

I guess we all want what we can't have.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I have just bought a pasta maker with a gift coupon received from my friends. Needless to say, my weekend was pasta themed :)

2013-02-23%2013.56.12%20%28Medium%29.jpg

My first attempt at ravioli. Filled with guacamole.

IMAG0532%20%281%29%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Final dish: guacamole ravioli with tomato sauce finished with sour cream, parsley, coriander and parmesan.

2013-02-23%2015.26.01%20%28Medium%29.jpg

2013-02-24%2021.16.21%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Homemade tagliatelli with truffles. Delicous :)

2013-02-23%2019.31.33%20%28Medium%29.jpg

I also managed to buy some fresh scallops at a market in Brussels.

2013-02-23%2020.29.42%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Scallops with aerated cauliflower puree.

mm84321, I am so jealous at your presentation skills!

2013-02-25%2021.44.29%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Another similar lamb dish. This time around no gratin with cream but with onions and beef stock. Much lighter and a better match with the balsamico/honey sauce.