• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 1)

Jason Perlow

So many good dishes and we're barely into January. Love Paul's Ribroast and that Pork Belly looks perfect.

I finally decided to try my hand at making fresh pasta and made some pappardelle for my first go. Far from ideal, but seeing how relatively easy it is to make I think I've been converted to making fresh pasta on a semi-regular basis. To go with the pappardelle I took a stab at a braised oxtail ragu. I've made braised oxtail many times, but was really just winging it for the ragu -- I'd fix a few things if I had to make it again, but it made for a nice comforting winter dish nonetheless.

Oxtail.jpg

New Year's Day meal. Traditional southern foods (pork for moving forward into a new year, greens for prosperity and blackeyed peas for luck) and corn muffins (for tastiness).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357698299.913985.jpg

I had to respond to this. I live in the east coast and we also eat pork on new years day for moving forward. It is also bad luck to eat chicken on new years day because chickens scratch backwards..lol. Here in dutch country we eat our pork with sauerkraut and apples and a touch of brown sugar along side mashed potatoes with pork gravy.

Sounds delicious!

Beautiful beef, Paul. And PC, insanely wonderful dishes as usual. scubadoo97, that pork belly looks luscious..

Simple food for me, still in recovery. Salmon sashimi, chopped with avocado and dressed with soy sauce, sesame oil, furikake and packaged tempura crumbles (tenkasu). They look like rice krispies, no?

IMG_4963.jpg

Not the prettiest plate I've ever made, but I had sausages, chicken stock and cavolo nero to use up so I followed this recipe to make "Italian Wedding Soup". http://www.thekitchn...ing-soup-136211

Pictured with a photobombing cat.

photo-10.jpg

In my opinon that is a quite delicious photo, and if the measure of a photo is that it tempts one to make the dish, (which you have done for me), then it's a great photo. Me thinks your cat would like a bowl of soup.

Then a couple of comfort dishes. Crab pasta and Claypot rice:

20130112b.JPG

I'm a devil for details. What is the spread on the toast in the background? We are just in the first weeks of Dungeness Crab season in the Pacific Northwest, so you've inspired me to make Dungeness Crab Spaghetti.

Paul Bacino- The prime rib in the picture is stunning. That burger blend is over the top

Pawncrackers-that fish is calling me. Beautiful dishes

Brown Hornet-Homemade pappardelle is a wonderful thing. The oxtail ragu is rich. Love it

Rarerollingobject-The fish looks fresh and inviting.

I'm a devil for details. What is the spread on the toast in the background? We are just in the first weeks of Dungeness Crab season in the Pacific Northwest, so you've inspired me to make Dungeness Crab Spaghetti.

Hey David that's crab pâté spread onto a bit of focaccia. I bought a live brown hen crab and it had plenty of back fat and roe.

image.jpg

Live crabs are better for this purpose because you can undercook it (the white meat will finish cooking in the pasta). The pâté starts with softened shallots in lots of butter then the back fat and roe is added, cooked out a little, seasoned with lemon & s&p then blended with a hand blender. The nice bright orange colour is due to the roe. You get muddy brown colour with male crabs but it's no less tasty. I think the back fat is the best part of the brown crab we get in the UK and it's a crime to waste it.

Great dinners all. David (Ross) and PC's photos are the standouts for me.

Tonight, something relatively simple and created on the spur of the moment.

Rigatoni, with mushroom ragu.

8386099168_0f079ee2f5_z.jpg

Originally I was going for "spaghetti with onion, anchovy and mint". Then, just before I took out the jar of anchovy from the fridge (they're packed in olive oil, and I keep them refrigerated), I spied a bowl of mushrooms that had clearly seen better days, so decided to toss those in. The addition of the mushrooms meant that I was veering away from a Sicilian-style pasta dish.

Prepare dried pasta according to package directions. Cook until al dente, then drain the pasta. Reserve a half cup pasta cooking water.

The ragu is simple enough -- cook sliced onion, thinly sliced button mushrooms and cremini mushrooms in olive oil over low heat until golden brown. Then stir in 2-3 chopped oil-packed anchovy fillets, minced celery leaves, julienned mint, and a small pinch of dried crushed red pepper flakes (to taste).

Add cooked pasta to the pot, along with a few tablespoons of pasta cooking water if the mixture seems too dry. Mix well. Cook until the pasta is warmed through, about 2-3 minutes. Taste for salt, then serve at once. A little shaved Parm-Reg cheese does wonders.

cheek-dumplings.jpg

Sous vide braised beef cheeks and fresh pasta from homeground flour, combined with the usual suspects to make Chinese dumplings. The soup-like sauce made from the braising liquid mostly absorbed into the dumplings. This was a "cook the dish you're imagining" night after returning Beyond the Great Wall to the library. Template: Turn a braise into dumpling filling, using the liquid to dress the dumplings. Lamb shoulder? The Chinese inflection is mandatory.

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

Sorry for the repeat of the meat post.. But I was really amazed @ the marbling of this roast. It becomes more apparent as I get ready to warm a cut for dinner.

So I had to show you. Looking a fresh roasts cant tell the story this thing does!!

8385695785_1acb651dcf_h.jpg

Done!!

Its good to have Morels

Let me clarify!! I only eat these types of products, very seldom. Rotuts

Usually Special occasions.

I get my blood work, once a yr and I "m good to go!! :rolleyes: For another yr.

At least!

paul

'Warm a cut', love it.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Prawn – You are killing me!

Garlic-black bean pan-fried fish: One of my favorite ways to make fish. Partly fry the fillets and remove. Stir-fry the topping – a whole head of garlic, ginger, cilantro root, fermented black beans, dark soy sauce, rice wine, sugar, and cayenne – and then finish cooking the fish with the topping. Another fine recipe from Dancing Shrimp

Stir-fried spinach with shallots and scallions, plus chicken stock, soy sauce, and rice wine. Quoth younger son: “It wasn’t horrible.” High praise for spinach. :rolleyes:

Jasmine rice

p1384090080-4.jpg