• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 1)

Jason Perlow

With all this talk about.. Roux, what do do with your skimmed fat and super bowl food!! WT-- A gumbo came to mind

I used Chicken Smultz and oil.. Medium brown Roux

This is Shrimp ( tiger ) and Andouille ( WF ) wish I had some Tasso

Shrimp and Andouille Gumbo with Brown rice!!

8460008306_94c8d0e5f2_h.jpg

Its good to have Morels

Tonight I got a bit experimental. Duckburgers. Never made them before.

Hand chopped duck meat (leg and breast) mixed with duck fat and Japanese 7 spice powder (Shichimi Togarashi 七味唐辛子). Fried in duck fat.

We don't get hamburger buns round here, so I improvised with some Chinese bread. A bit of salad and some Japanese pickled ginger.

I ate three! With fries.

IMG_3389a (Large).jpg

Yum! Duckburgers? What?!

I am literally blue with jealousy right now...I have a hard time even finding duck breast where I live. And I search regularly.

Awesome recipe though!

Do or do not. There is no try.

-Yoda

Lamb chops - pan seared and finished in the oven. Served with cardamon / brown sugar carrots and turnip tossed with pan stuff from the chops.

Fresh mint sauce was served on the side.;

lamb chops cardamon carrots 9158.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

thanks huiray.

tonight:

8461308748_d65199ff55_z.jpg

Insalata di ceci e porri (chickpea and leek salad)

For most people, I recommend slicing the leeks thinner than you see above, which will alleviate the "harshness". Or blanch it if you prefer. I have a high tolerance for raw onion/leek; it doesn't bother me.

Contains chickpeas (which were prepared from dried), leeks and Castelvetrano olives. The dressing is red wine, red wine vinegar, Italian parsley, extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt and black pepper.

8461307974_461f2e4efe_z.jpg

Not a bad first attempt at homemade tagliatelle, eh? I guess I should also mention I don't have a pasta machine -- mostly because I don't have any room in my kitchen to put one.

BTW, this is the recipe I used: http://www.saveur.co...ade-Tagliatelle

8461308626_369fee7a3f_z.jpg

Tagliatelle con zucca, funghi e pancetta (tagliatelle pasta with winter squash, wild mushrooms and pancetta)

I should have begun making fresh pasta a long time ago. You'll be seeing a lot more from me in the near future, like ravioli for example. :wink:

First attempt at BBQ brisket on the Big Green Egg. Also beta tested a friend's new BBQ social networking site and cook log system, BBQPad in the process.

8461618831_71837a8329_c.jpg

8462936052_fb665dcb22_c.jpg

8462538681_a34349221b_c.jpg

8462541143_b30a7b4b86_c.jpg

Cooked two small brisket flats, one about 4lbs and the other about 6. The 4lb one came from Costco and the larger one from a local independent supermarket, Penn Dutch. The Penn Dutch one was definitely juicier, so I'll provision from them from now on.

8462542347_d77fb0f779_c.jpg

8463643424_7f20bb8168_c.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

8464117750_f298839141_z.jpg

Scrambled eggs on crispy toast, with American lumpfish caviar, shallots and Italian parsley

8463214877_0049ed142d_z.jpg

Winter greens (green chard (both stems and leaves), watercress) with lemon and garlic, homemade tagliatelle

I have one more ball of tagliatelle dough in the fridge, so there'll be more of that later in the week. :wink:

OK mm84321, this is it.

You are an undercover michelin starred chef sent here to mess with us.

Admit it.

Darn right. Seriously impressive stuff. He keeps using all these black truffles, he uses them generously, and he uses them all year round. I wonder if he has a truffle farm of his own.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Jason, the brisket looks good. The Egg does a nice job and that's a really nice smoke ring. How was the brisket? Flats can be dry if they don't have enough fat. The last one I did from Costco was pretty dry.

Last night I made a pot of Texas style chili with chunks of chuck. I was making my chili powders yesterday with Anchos and Guajillos and thought it was a perfect time to use them in a Texas chili.

texaschili.jpg