• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 1)

Jason Perlow

The egg and asparagus demands explanation! That yolk is golden and delicious but what are the details?

The bottom of the plate is mashed potatoes. Then three blanched asparagus are on top of that, and then a thin slice of comté cheese is placed over and passed quickly under the broiler. Then you place a raw egg yolk in between some of the asparagus, and garnish with sliced spring onion, some asparagus shoots and croutons (finish fleur de sel and pepper, preferably Himalayan). The yolk broke as I was plating, but you get the idea. It is a great dish for early spring.

It's going to be bacon tonight. Locally produced tamworth hog smoked with mulberry. Various ends and pieces from the freezer. P1000486(1).JPG

The andouille and tasso were smoked over the weekend with pecan.

P1000497(1).JPG P1000502(1).JPG P1000503(1).JPG

The cheeks are going to take a littler longer to become guanciale P1000499(1).JPG

Edited by Steve Irby (log)

Luckily I live right across the bay from that Zuni chicken. Been going there since I was a little kid!

Salmon mi cuit, brined in salt water for 15 minutes and poached at 104 degrees for 1 hour. Satsuma-champagne buerre blanc with terragon and chives.

48156_10151321977039372_1576696596_n.jpg

What a great photo. I don't want to sound like GF but's that's a money shot.

That pork jowel looks amazing!

From the Momofuku cookbook: Glazed Mushrooms (Oyster and Shimeji), braised pistachio puree (with a few sprinkled on top), pickled sunchokes, quick-pickled radishes, sorrel. The technique for cooking the mushrooms in this recipe will probably be my go-to technique for quick dishes: pan fry the mushrooms on each side for two minutes in oil, then add butter and sherry vinegar (2:3 ratio) and reduce to a glaze on high.

860302_10102881292763080_1847670005_o.jp

Edited by Baselerd (log)

[...]

also, I'm starting a batch of beet vinegar:

8498949417_761d59a541_z.jpg

This is peels and trimmings from 3 very large beets.

8498949321_394c9e3d1e_z.jpg

Here, you see 1/2 cup red wine vinegar that's covering the beet peels. I'll set this in the fridge and take another pic on Sunday, then a 2nd pic 1-2 weeks later. The color should begin to transform from a deep red to a magenta or purple in a few days time. And that's when things begin to get interesting.

Catching up with all the amazing posts on this thread.

I am very intrigued by Soba's beet vinegar. What does the end product taste like? I would love to try this!

Another gift from the good Doctor :wink:

Cantonese BBQ duck...amazing

Shane

I can almost hear the skin crackling. Looks great

I could be wrong, but the duck looks a lot like the Cantonese roast ducks one can get from Chinese restaurants (in Chinatown & elsewhere)? If it is, then the skin isn't exactly that crispy but would have a slight chewiness/limpness to it (and it would be meant to be so)? The one piece at the top right corner does also suggest that the duck was given the "classic treatment" of a "meen see" (bean sauce) marinade inside the cavity when it was roasted, a liquid marinade - not just a rubbing - which is recovered/"poured out" from the closed-up body cavity when cooked and then "opened".

That pork jowel looks amazing!

From the Momofuku cookbook: Glazed Mushrooms (Oyster and Shimeji), braised pistachio puree (with a few sprinkled on top), pickled sunchokes, quick-pickled radishes, sorrel. The technique for cooking the mushrooms in this recipe will probably be my go-to technique for quick dishes: pan fry the mushrooms on each side for two minutes in oil, then add butter and sherry vinegar (2:3 ratio) and reduce to a glaze on high.

860302_10102881292763080_1847670005_o.jp

There is just something about mushrooms....as soon as I make them one way and think that I will never prepare them any other way, I do find a way to prepare them differently that I JUST HAD TO TRY! And I loved them THAT way, too!!!!! Maybe I just love mushrooms!

Donna

very beautiful things here.

Simple ravioli for the little one tonight. from left over 12 egg yolk pasta dough. filling was ricotta, parm, mozzarella, salt, sugar, pepper and an egg yolk.

8511304037_e679620400.jpg

froze the rest.

Tomato puree with salt, sugar, garlic, pepper and a little shot of milk. Topped with cheese.

8512412396_99bcd6ec78.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

FP -- it's a bit like pickled beets in liquid form.

070.JPG

this shot was taken 24 hours later. color's great, although it's not quite there yet. there's a hint of elusive sweetness, as the beet peels have tamed the vinegar's harshness a little bit.

I've come down with the makings of a cold in the past couple of days, and haven't been cooking much. might order Chinese tonight ... or do something simple. if I don't cook for more than one or two days, I start to go batshit crazy. :raz:

so much of what we throw out as trash is really food in another form. besides beet peels, you can do amazing things with asparagus stalks, mushroom trimmings, cauliflower leaves, broccoli stem, cabbage core, watermelon rind, celery leaves, potato peels and carrot tops.

if this kind of thing appeals to you, here's an NYT article from a while ago that discusses things in more detail: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/27/dining/thats-not-trash-thats-dinner.html?_r=2&

part of 2013's cooking resolutions, for me anyway, is to do more with what I buy from USGM. it's a way to get the most out of what I get, and economical too.

Moderator note: This topic continues in Dinner! 2013 (Part 2)

• 3 weeks later...

Took a day off from Chinese to try something from The Food Of Morocco, which I got for Christmas. It's funny, I recently made a Parsi chicken with apricot dish. This one was even better. Though, as usual with Wolfert recipes, it turned out to be far more involved and time-consuming that a quick skim would suggest. Nonetheless incredible - one of my favorite new dishes.

While the marinated chicken cooks with onions in the tagine, you simmer butter, sugar, cinnamon and the apricots down to a syrupy glaze:

attachicon.gifapricots_in_butter.jpg

This then goes in the tagine along with some fresh herbs and they cook until the meat is falling off the bone:

attachicon.gifapricots_chicken_in_tagine.jpg

The final step is a quick glaze under the broiler, followed by a scattering of pine nuts.

attachicon.gifchicken_apricots_final.jpg

Umm yum. Recipe pleeeeaaase? with a cherry on top?

Do or do not. There is no try.

-Yoda