• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 1)

Jason Perlow

Bruce - oh man those tacos look gorgeous - and fairly straightforward as well. Is that Diana Kennedy? Do you make your own tortillas?

Patrick – Thank you! We haven’t made tortillas in a while, but one of the local Latino markets sells pretty good corn tortillas with no preservatives. They even puff up when we heat them over the flame.

The taco recipe is from Rick Bayless’ Mexican Kitchen

Malabar shrimp curry:

malabar_shrimp_curry.jpg

This is a great recipe from one of my favourite cookbooks. It's actually the dish that's on the front cover. But don't you think that the cover photo is too red considering the amount of tumeric in the recipe. Every time I've cooked it, it comes out as yellow as yours?!

For Vals day I bought some scallops and a dover sole. The scallops were smoked over Jasmine tea and dressed with ponzu and ikura. The sole was simply pan fried. The sauce is a combination of black butter and sauce vierge with added goodness of tiny brown shrimps. We ate this with a few saffron potatoes cooked in scallop stock and wilted red chard.

For dessert the wife made mini green tea eclairs filled with white choc cream, accompanied with a red bean dip

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Some gorgeous meals here. Been away the last month. In 30 days, I was in Cologne Germany, Amsterdam, Yangzhou, Shanghai and a couple of other cities in China, Chicago and Atlanta.

The wife made lamb shanks for dinner last night. With lemon segments, olives and white wine. Sauce was very well balanced. Shank, fall off the bone. served with polenta and sprouts.

8475307901_93b919d5ce.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Dinner for one the other night

8471495183_ae7604ca1e.jpg

Quick pasta started with garlic and olive oil, added sardines from the pantry, salt packed capers, black and red pepper, a cup of pureed tomatoes, then the cooked pasta, a little water, perhaps a dusting of cheese. such a good dinner.. a glass of red wine with dinner and then a glass of homemade limoncello

8471485219_988893ef2d.jpg

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Now, I have been looking at Eataly's dry aged steaks since Tuesday. A man can only take so much. After work today, I stopped by and picked up a 1.15 pound steak. it was a bone in ny strip.. 30 bones pretty much on the dot.

8459397351_d870c8051c.jpgc

steak browned in a cast iron.. though i heated the pan for 10 minutes, did not have it at the highest temp.. Miss K is not a fan of the char

8460504138_c87525ae66.jpg

with the steak, I made a dal, a gringo dal.. made a quick paste with ginger, garlic, onion and tomato. cooked it in a hot pan, added mustard seeds, coriander and some turmeric. to the cooking lentils, i added a shot of soy and cream, some salt, pepper, harissa and a shot of lemon.

roasted a potato, stuffed with creme fraiche.

took the steak out of the oven with an internal temp of 119

8459388999_54dc5a5e79.jpg

The quality of the steak at Eataly was fantastic.. it had that earthy, musky beef flavor. it was stellar.

Dinner with my old daughter

i bought 8 dollars worth of whole sardines. They were really pretty.

I cleaned and season floured them.

A quick fry in olive oil.

8455097440_9609932a90.jpg

I served the hot sardines over mashed potatoes with a salad made from tuesdays frisee and radicchio. Miss k loved this dish. I learned how to make her a salad. You dress it with a proper emulsified dressing and then sprinkle sherry vinegar over the dressed salad.

8455094402_0324cde446.jpg

So, I had this pork shoulder from Christmas. I had roasted it but, we did not get to eat it. So, I broke it into half and covered it with tomato sauce.. And there it stayed in my freezer until the other tonight.. Defrosted the sauce and tossed it with some pasta from Eataly.

8456473155_b7a26d9d83.jpg

Pan seared swordfish, finished in the oven with some white wine and capers. Took the fish out and reduced, added a pad of butter.

Frisse salad with radicchio, mashed potatoes and swordfish.

8456478031_e9d6425800.jpg

Those steaks look amazing - as does the dover sole. I wish I could get my hands on a suckling pig like that - pretty awesome.

Here's a little sea bass inspired by the John Dory recipe from Eleven Madison Park. I poached the fish sous vide in chicken jus with cornstarch and herbs to a core temp of 113 F (a la MC recommendations). Following the EMP components, it was served with dehydrated citrus fruits, citrus buerre blanc, edamame, pickled daikon, and a daikon vinaigrette. Finished with some tarragon, green onions, and olive oil.

823573_10102839521927170_783388278_o.jpg

Basquecook, those sardines look lovely. And, I wish I lived near Eataly so I could shop there!

weather permitting, a trip to USGM might be in order tomorrow, so I can see what's on hand. Lucy (see report here: http://www.echonyc.c...reenmarket.html ) says that last Saturday, black radishes, Jerusalem artichokes, celeriac and winter greens were available, along with the usual chicken, chicken parts, RABBIT and eggs. hopefully it won't be snowing. I'm thinking of getting a chicken for either roast chicken or chicken stock.

and if my basket isn't laden down with goods, maybe a side trip to Eataly is in order. on the "to get" list: wild mushrooms, gnocchi, chestnuts, bottarga di tonno (tuna bottarga) or bottarga di muggine (mullet bottarga). maybe some cheese.

dinner tonight will feature oysters and beets. more later.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

I have never tried their gnocchi. I recently have seen you are getting into pasta making, gnocchi is a really fun thing to make. Though, I was watching them make gnocchi at Eataly, they were doing it the right way for sure.. The place smelled of baked potatoes and they had all of these riced potatoes out on a wooden counter. It was a fun to watch.

I have never tried their gnocchi. I recently have seen you are getting into pasta making, gnocchi is a really fun thing to make. Though, I was watching them make gnocchi at Eataly, they were doing it the right way for sure.. The place smelled of baked potatoes and they had all of these riced potatoes out on a wooden counter. It was a fun to watch.

they're actually quite good. the only gnocchi that seems to beat their's is (1) Marco Canora's (at Hearth) and (2) Tom Colicchio's (at Craft). but I haven't done the restaurant thing in a long time, so maybe things have gone south.

If chestnuts are available at Eataly, then I may ditch the gnocchi and pick up ricotta cheese instead from USGM so I can make ricotta gnocchi with chestnuts and wild mushrooms. (the idea gears in my head are already working overtime.) or pair the chestnuts with arborio for risi e castagne, which you can serve for either dinner or dessert.

*looks up at Scotty* :wink:

ETA -- my Italian friends on Facebook also tell me that risi e castagne can be eaten for breakfast. can be sweet or savory.

I think ANYTHING can be eaten for breakfast. :smile: In my book all food of any category is fair game for breakfast and there ought not to be only certain types of food that is approved as breakfast foods. :wink:

huiray -- but that would break C. sapidus' "egg" rule. (kidding)

tonight:

8477198083_d9540c7156_z.jpg

Beet "carpaccio", baby arugula and frisée salad, hazelnut vinaigrette

The beets were cooked separately -- golden beets and regular beets (simmered in water for 15 minutes, then peeled and thinly sliced). The salad consists of frisée leaves, baby arugula and shaved pecorino Crotonese cheese; the vinaigrette is 3 tablespoons hazelnut oil, the juice of half a lemon, sea salt and black pepper.

8477198331_aa799fa6e6_z.jpg

Grand Central oyster pan roast, with sourdough toast and caviar

8478299570_3a43c828cd_z.jpg

Spaghetti con uovo e caviale (spaghetti with egg and caviar)

Contains eggs, spaghetti, pecorino Romano cheese, sea salt, black pepper, scallions and American lumpfish caviar. Kind of a riff on a carbonara, and totally doable in 20 minutes.

No card or flowers but I did fix a nice dinner for my wife for V-Day. Butter poached lobster, bone in ribeye with shitake mushrooms and pearl onions.

P1000451(1).JPG

I cheated for dessert and bought a nice cake at TFM. I guess my good looks :blink: must have flustered the counter person because I only got charged $2.99 instead of$7.99.

P1000454(1).JPG

huiray -- but that would break C. sapidus' "egg" rule. (kidding)

tonight:

8477198083_d9540c7156_z.jpg

Beet "carpaccio", baby arugula and frisée salad, hazelnut vinaigrette

The beets were cooked separately -- golden beets and regular beets (simmered in water for 15 minutes, then peeled and thinly sliced). The salad consists of frisée leaves, baby arugula and shaved pecorino Crotonese cheese; the vinaigrette is 3 tablespoons hazelnut oil, the juice of half a lemon, sea salt and black pepper.

8477198331_aa799fa6e6_z.jpg

Grand Central oyster pan roast, with sourdough toast and caviar

8478299570_3a43c828cd_z.jpg

Spaghetti con uovo e caviale (spaghetti with egg and caviar)

Contains eggs, spaghetti, pecorino Romano cheese, sea salt, black pepper, scallions and American lumpfish caviar. Kind of a riff on a carbonara, and totally doable in 20 minutes.

Great looking dishes. What's got me really drooling is that grand central oyster pan roast. Yum yum.

SobaAddict70

Ive had the GC Pan roast a few times in times gone by in NYC. I dont recall the (deliciuos) yellow color.

did you modify or maybe I cant remember.

Happy Cooking!

due to a bit of Spanish paprika.

recipe from here: http://www.thefoodma..._pan_roast.html

it differs slightly from Arthur's recipe in that I skipped the Heinz chile sauce and toast points, and added parsley and caviar. might as well gild that lily. ;)