• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 1)

Jason Perlow

That's some serious food Xilimmns and FrogPrincess...

Here's a little Fig and Cheese Salad, made with Candied Walnuts, Lemon Vinaigrette, Baby Spinach, Chevre (Cypress Grove Truffle Tremor), Sliced Fig, Fig Fluid Gel (Fig puree, Fig-infused balsamic vinegar, sugar, agar).

tumblr_mhr4fsEdPh1rvhqcjo6_1280.jpg

And then (out of the Eleven Madison Park Cookbook) some Hamachi with Fennel (Stalks and Bulbs, thinly shaved), dressed in meyer lemon oil. Underneath is some Meyer lemon puree, garlic horseradish puree, and lemon-soy vinaigrette.

tumblr_mhr4fsEdPh1rvhqcjo3_1280.jpg

Finally, the Cassoulet Toulousain (minus the lamb shank) from the Modernist Cuisine. This had some Garlic Sausage, Boneless Duck Leg Confit, Garlic Confit, Cured Ham Broth, Pressure-Cooked Navy Beans, and Fried Croutons.

tumblr_mhr4fsEdPh1rvhqcjo7_1280.jpg

Edited by Baselerd (log)

tonight:

8449928918_9818d3f8e6_z.jpg

Shaved fennel and celery salad, with "popped" pumpkin seeds and miso-mustard vinaigrette

The salad is fairly straightforward -- thinly sliced fennel, celery and shredded watercress. The pumpkin seeds were "popped" in olive oil, then lightly seasoned with sea salt.

Miso-mustard vinaigrette

1/4 teaspoon yellow miso

1/2 teaspoon stone-ground mustard

3 teaspoons rice vinegar

5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

freshly milled black pepper, to taste

Combine first three ingredients, then whisk in olive oil until the dressing emulsifies. Taste for pepper. No need for salt, due to the miso.

And now for something out of left field:

8448844845_c7cc2dabef_z.jpg

Beet bourguignon, Umbrian lentils.

Adapted from David's and Luisa's recipe, at Green Kitchen Stories: http://www.greenkitc...et-bourguignon/ with minor tweaks. I added a few more vegetables such as turnip, fennel, shallots and shiitake mushrooms to give it a little more "heft".

I seem to have been on a vegan kick lately.

Tonight I got a bit experimental. Duckburgers. Never made them before.

Hand chopped duck meat (leg and breast) mixed with duck fat and Japanese 7 spice powder (Shichimi Togarashi 七味唐辛子). Fried in duck fat.

We don't get hamburger buns round here, so I improvised with some Chinese bread. A bit of salad and some Japanese pickled ginger.

I ate three! With fries.

IMG_3389a (Large).jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Tonight I got a bit experimental. Duckburgers. Never made them before.

Hand chopped duck meat (leg and breast) mixed with duck fat and Japanese 7 spice powder (Shichimi Togarashi 七味唐辛子). Fried in duck fat.

We don't get hamburger buns round here, so I improvised with some Chinese bread. A bit of salad and some Japanese pickled ginger.

I ate three! With fries.

IMG_3389a (Large).jpg

Well that looks good! How were they? Obviously 'ducky', since you ate three, but consistency (how cooked were they?), overall flavour?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Well that looks good! How were they? Obviously 'ducky', since you ate three, but consistency (how cooked were they?), overall flavour?

I was concerned about overcooking them, but the good burger fairy was looking out for me. Somehow I managed to get them nicely browned on the outside, but juicily pink in the centre. They did taste duckular and a little spicy from the shichimi. Next time I'll add a little more chilli. And skip the ginger. It didn't really add anything. But I'm happy with the results of the experiment.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Something I've been planning to make for ages... the Four Seasons crispy farmhouse duck:

I think this may be the best duck I've ever had. And pretty easy, aside from the 3 days' advance prep.

Well, that is gorgeous (as many of these photos are). Is that Four Seasons as in the old Four Seasons cookbook from the classic NYC restaurant? I have that book but don't remember this duck.

Thanks janeer... and it is the very one (they still serve it btw):

( http://forums.egulle...-1360034222.jpg )

(I hope it's okay to post a photo of just the first page of this recipe... it goes on for quite a ways)

I looked up the full recipe - http://www.melindale...ons-crisp-duck/

It looks very much like a Chinese-type roast duck, including the air-drying for days (traditionally). :-) Maybe a cross between a Cantonese-style and a Peking duck or something like that? (and except that Cantonese-style tends to use some sort of bean paste as part of the marinade for the cavity)

It looks very nice.

Edited by huiray (log)

oh, those meatballs look great. :wub:

vegetarian dinner tonight (the beets appetizer is vegan, everything else is lacto-ovo vegetarian):

8451778743_f7e9b1de36_z.jpg

"Turnips" -- turnip and watercress coleslaw

The dressing consists of Greek yogurt, milk, sea salt, black pepper and lemon zest. Garnished with a scant pinch of panch phoron (purely for texture).

8451778617_7d8780a2c4_z.jpg

"Beets" -- roasted beets, sautéed baby portobello mushrooms with shallots, sea salt, black pepper and thyme

The beets and mushrooms were cooked separately, then plated and finished with lemon juice.

8451779201_2dabfbea9f_z.jpg

Lenticchie con burro e prezzemolo (lentils with butter and parsley)

In a small pot, combine 1/2 cup lentils in 2 cups water, along with 1-2 peeled and crushed garlic cloves and a bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain, then discard garlic and bay leaf. Taste for salt and pepper. Then, stir in 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, 2 tablespoons chopped parsley and the juice of half a lemon. Mix well. Taste once more for salt and pepper, if needed, then serve immediately.

8451779089_8956eca633_z.jpg

Soft-cooked egg, parsnip "home fries"

The "home fries" are just thinly sliced parsnips that were fried in unsalted butter and olive oil, then finished with sea salt, black pepper, thyme and lemon juice.

Hello guys! After long time without contributing on the forum from my side, i decide to start with posting some of my works. Im not pro and be nice with my food! :D

Tonight for dinner is simple but yet very delicious pizza with marinated mushrooms, cheese, little bit of hot ketchup, prosciutto and little bit of oregano spice for aroma. Fast and easy! And to be honest, i was way too hungry and i didn't shred cheese. Also, sorry for the bad quality photo, it is taken with old iphone :/

Pic:

IMG_0122 600px.JPG

Hot Rock--Welcome.

What I'll do for a simple sauce for my pizza, is get a jar of of spaghetti sauce. I use Rao's or Cucina Antica ( they make things like Marinara/Tomato basil ).. I think its better than a Ketchup ( just me ). If you have left overs just freeze it.

Good luck

Paul

Its good to have Morels

I can't take the credit for making any of these dishes, I was out on a business trip to Southern California earlier this week and I had dinner at my manager's house. His wife put on an INCREDIBLE spread of Persian dishes, only SOME of which I photographed here:

8449909698_758ca472ee_c.jpg

Ghormeh Sabzi

8449909126_723cf2245a_b.jpg

Tabbouleh

8449910116_2df667aa38_c.jpg

Huge plate of kebabs, served with Sumac

8448830331_e77d964431_b.jpg

Ta Dikh, the burnt underside of the pot of saffron rice. A delicacy

8448831417_8a5c2eae4b_b.jpg

Persian pastries and cookies

8448807701_4c1fd44863_c.jpg

Persian pastry roll

8449915406_bd264cbc90_o.jpg

Persian tea and coffee service

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My longest running client who I've actually started doing themed dinners for is going to Next restaurant in April. They're doing "The Hunt" right now, a wild game and stuff themed dinner so he asked me to mess around with my own version. I did some cold smoked salmon mi cuit with citrus, roasted quail stuffed with red qiunoa and garlic confit, wild boar ragu on pasta made with eggs from my friend's chickens, wild venison loin with root veggies, hedgehog mushrooms and blackberry-veal demi and then some torn honey sponge cake, strawberry ice cream and hazelnut-chocolate crumble. I just tried to do more of a rustic "throw it on the plate thing".

It was a lot of fun and they were pretty stoked. This is one of the few clients that I know the kitchen so well I get to sit down and eat with them!

222683_10151718321044908_1380892207_n.jpg

405710_10151719002414908_539914370_n.jpg

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

St. Pierre

8Isledil.jpg

St. Pierre with parsley and ginger, Sauce Genevoise

3OCGPU0l.jpg

Mandarin sorbet ravioli, champagne and basil cream

LdLHQ1sl.jpg

UOcoFetl.jpg

Is that main served with puy lentils, pancetta, and baby croutons? Anything else? Some capers perhaps?

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog