• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 1)

Jason Perlow

@patrickamory & ChrisTaylor - I can't take any credit for the duck, except for how I used it and how I combined it with those ingredients. It was store-bought, from my local Chinese grocery. Nevertheless, it would have been done in the "classical" Chinese way, I'm sure the www would provide some info.

2013-02-02%2019.27.57%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Finally used my Polyscience smoking gun: lightly smoked salmon with sateed shallots, spring onions, lemon and olive oil. (smoke in glass hard to see on picture)

Sauce: Sourcream with chives, lemon and peper and salt.

main dish:

2013-02-02%2023.19.58%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Cauliflower puree with skrei fillet

Sauce: lemon grass, spring onions, garlic, pepper, salt, cream ==> blender ==> heated

Edited by Wapi (log)

Working on some Toronto Eggfest ideas. One might be a maple bread, toasted with peameal bacon and

maple sauce

maplebreadon.jpg

Tasty,

maybe a little more maple syrup

sweetbread.jpg

Dinner was poor man SV tenderloin and sweet tater pancakes w/t curry

SV.jpg

datshot.jpg

Served with a lemon yogurt, excellent

sweetdinner.jpg

Shane

So far 2013:

From Jerusalem (Ottolenghi/Tamimi)

Spicy carrots

YTkIV7nl.jpg

Cauliflower/parsley/celery/hazelnut/pomegranate salad

wgyDqA0l.jpg

Red beet, leek

B00vRCGl.jpg

Muhallabieh

63lSY6wl.jpg

----

Rabbit braised in port wine/thyme-sauce

Y3hVgC1l.jpg

---

EMP's cauliflower dish

R5uMwIWl.jpg

---

From Alain Passard's video series at Le Point

Spinach, hazelnuts

gibl3iml.jpg

Chicory, apple

aoCQhaGl.jpg

Chicory, champignons, coriander

0r1eTKol.jpg

Cauliflowerisotto

Gqn3GnPl.jpg

Pineapple, apple, lime, olive oil/lemon juice/acacia honey-vinaigrette

f4TEdOBl.jpg

Avocado soufflé

t40yfJxl.jpg

8im8PdRl.jpg

It's rather simple.

You need:

2 avocados

70g sugar

4 eggs

1 vanilla pod

four pieces of dark bitter chocolate

coarse sea salt

Preheat the oven to 220-250°C. Get a large baking dish, or pan, and fill it with coarse sea salt. Make four molding in the salt by pressing the avocados in it such that four halfs of avocados fit next to each other (it's important to do this before it goes in the oven since the salt begins to get tough and you can't really mold it afterwards). You split two avocados in half, remove the pit, remove the meat without damaging the skin/shell of the avocado (the soufflé gets baked in it) and "strain" it through a tamis in a bowl. Add the seeds of a vanilla pod. Now you either put the mixture in a food processor and pulse it a few times or take a Bamix/ESGE Zauberstab (or equivalent) and mix it a bit to get a fine purée. Start beating the egg whites and slowly add the sugar (I think I'll use a little bit more next time). Once it's stiff, fold some of it into the avocado purée. You won't need all the stiff egg whites, but as you probably know, it's easier to beat four egg whites than two or three. Get the baking dish/pan/whatever out of the oven, put the four avocado shells in their spots, put the avocado mousse in a piping bag (?), then fill each avocado halfway full. Place a piece of chocolate in the center, then cover with more avocado mousse. It goes in the oven for about five minutes. Remove from the oven, dust with icing sugar (a step which I forgot).

You can see the video here, in French: http://www.lepoint.f...1620457_571.php

Edited by b1os (log)

You're welcome. It's definitely very good. But I can't stress enough how delightful the pineapple dessert is. Yes, I am an Alain Passard fanboi. Yes, I'm saving money so I can include a visit to L'Arpège next time I'm in Paris. But yes, the dessert is absolutely fantastic. And me, who has some sort of allergy towards pineapples (acidic after-mouthfeel.. if you get what I mean), says that. It's one of the best desserts I've had in a long time, maybe even better than the chocolate/pecan --or walnut, as in my case-- Krantz cake from Jerusalem, which clearly is fantastic. Using game hens is key, imo. :

LgvKgEU.jpg

Xw2eNHS.jpg

For the superbowl, to get some sort of American culture feeling (I live in Germany), some fried chicken. Recipe courtesy to LA Times, which I've cooked 2-3 times and has always been perfect: http://www.latimes.c...,0,581831.story .

9rz5P7J.jpg

Edited by b1os (log)

014.JPG

Chinese Barbecue Pork with Cucumber, Green Onion and Carrot Salad. Great Flavor but not at all the dyed-red stuff you buy in the grocery store. I baked it on skewers in the oven and then broiled to char it. Next time I'll grill it outdoors on the bbq for some smoky flavor.

Hmm, Chinese BBQ pork (char siu) can be found in the died-red and non-died-red versions in different groceries, it depends on which store and who the supplier is and even the milieu. (and location in the world) :-) What I can get from my local Chinese grocery looks a lot like yours, except the internal flesh is considerably whiter. Sometimes it might be a little redder rather than "brown-red", but not the red-red that I think you are referring to.

Yours looks nice. Assuming the sauce you poured over it darkened the color of the internal flesh, yours also looks not unlike what one would frequently get in places like Malaysia & Singapore, amongst other places. (You also get red-died & boiled "char siu" there all over the place in various other restaurants and other contexts)

Edited by huiray (log)

Late night supper after the Super Bowl:

A riff on a dish patterned after Pancit Palabok/Pancit Luglug… :-)

Head-on shrimp, deshelled & deheaded (w/ plentiful head cream), deveined; sautéed in peanut oil till just cooked, removed from pan & reserved. Pan w/ frying residues – shrimp shells & heads and one smashed cut-up garlic clove added in, the mix tossed, water & a little sea salt added and the mix simmered for a little while. The shrimp stock is poured/filtered off and reserved. Skinny “mei fun” (rice noodles) was softened & rehydrated by soaking in hot water, drained & reserved. Two hard boiled eggs were prepared, quartered & reserved. Ground pork was sautéed w/ good fish sauce (Red Boat), generous ground black pepper & sliced fried "hard"/firm tofu; the reserved shrimp stock poured in and the mix simmered to blend and also reduce a bit, then some flour (sufficient) slurried w/ a little water poured in while stirring to thicken. Assembly: mei fun, then sauce, then cooked shrimp, then quartered eggs, lime slices (sliced SE Asian style), topping with chopped scallions. Lime juice liberally squeezed over the ensemble. Eat.

Notes: I didn’t have annato on hand so I left it out. Also no chicharon (pork cracklings) or tinapa (dried smoked fish). I added more fish sauce.

p.s. Yes, the sauce is there on the noodles and under the toppings. I should have taken a picture after I mixed it a bit.

DSCN7630a_1k.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)

Hello guys! After long time without contributing on the forum from my side, i decide to start with posting some of my works. Im not pro and be nice with my food! :D

Tonight for dinner is simple but yet very delicious pizza with marinated mushrooms, cheese, little bit of hot ketchup, prosciutto and little bit of oregano spice for aroma. Fast and easy! And to be honest, i was way too hungry and i didn't shred cheese. Also, sorry for the bad quality photo, it is taken with old iphone :/

Pic:

IMG_0122 600px.JPG

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

Hmm, Chinese BBQ pork (char siu) can be found in the died-red and non-died-red versions in different groceries, it depends on which store and who the supplier is and even the milieu. (and location in the world) :-) What I can get from my local Chinese grocery looks a lot like yours, except the internal flesh is considerably whiter. Sometimes it might be a little redder rather than "brown-red", but not the red-red that I think you are referring to.

Yours looks nice. Assuming the sauce you poured over it darkened the color of the internal flesh, yours also looks not unlike what one would frequently get in places like Malaysia & Singapore, amongst other places. (You also get red-died & boiled "char siu" there all over the place in various other restaurants and other contexts)

Thanks. It was actually a bit pink in the center because I intentionally didn't over-cook it. (My Mother still thinks Pork has to be well-done). The sauce was pretty thick and I brushed a good amount over the sliced meat during plating.

I've been cooking a lot as usual but have quite the backlog, so bear with me...

First, a December (!) recap.

We had fresh squid ink linguine with a bunch of clams. You can never have too many clams; I usually buy 2.5 to 3 lb for the two of us.

8243916158_d3321a9c85_z.jpg

I made evening garlic soup in the manner of the Correze (recipe by Paula Wolfert).

8253404741_ffac49380a_z.jpg

I grilled some grass-fed local (Palomar) rib eye steaks that were amazingly tender and served it with smashed red potatoes from my CSA.

8260609400_a3cd6f242b_z.jpg

I made a large batch of zingy carrot-ginger soup for a friend who was recovering from surgery.

8262577525_ace2cc4b44_z.jpg

I was exhausted one night and made breafkast for dinner with the fantastic hickory-smoked bacon from Benton's.

8262673357_cc1175ac64_z.jpg

I got into an Indian kick for a while and cooked a couple of recipes from Vij's. First there were these prawns in coconut masala.

8268169287_056d8c1fc6_z.jpg

Then this local grilled grouper with a tomato-yogurt broth and more smashed red potatoes.

8270924907_9bd1d851bc_z.jpg

I made a few care packages for my friend including this a lemon risotto with almonds and fennel fronds.

8274614065_94c2780038_z.jpg

I made David Lebovit'z roast chicken with caramelized shallots again, this time with mashed sweet potatoes.

8280269402_4e826a4089_z.jpg

A my husband's request, sausages braised in tomato sauce with pasta.

8282674065_19e64777dc_z.jpg

To celebrate the arrival of my mom to San Diego for the holidays, I cured a brisket (Suzanne Goin's style) and served it with sauteed kale, steamed potatoes & horseradish creme fraiche.

8289639735_6fa39f6d99_z.jpg

I grilled a few poussins and served them with roasted balsamic-glazed Brussels sprouts.

8296357914_821968224c_z.jpg

I roasted some bone marrow and served it with a little herb salad a la Fergus Henderson for a little (not exactly light!) pre-dinner snack.

8298296039_8e34a71fbb_z.jpg

We were invited for the Chrismas meal, but I brought this chocolate Dacquoise that was really fabulous (recipe from Pierre Herme).

8340423079_455a3a2292_z.jpg

8341486664_5789694e70_z.jpg

In an attempt to recover from the festivities, I made a pomegranate, pear and arugula salad with what I found in my CSA.

8308763800_087de55a1a_z.jpg

We got a lot of squash in the CSA and I made a roasted kabocha squash soup that tasted of chestnuts, with garlic croutes.

8308886803_23abe24168_z.jpg

I made linguine carbonara with Benton's bacon and fresh pea shoots.

8309937372_e5b959eaa7_z.jpg

Onion soup les Halles.

8329197692_de3ce89e9e_z.jpg

Foie gras au torchon cooked in duck fat to finish the year on a high note, served with an excellent Champagne that the recipient of one of these jars gave us to thank us.

8298688013_39a20cf572_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Great dishers everyone! Same as FrogPrincesse, some backlog but here we go:

Afogado... which is basically a typical Brazilian dish learned from my grandma. Beef ribs cooked with water, seasonings and potatoes in the pressure cooker. Served with rice, hot pepper and corn flour.

424047_10151265165459983_1048045216_n.jpg

Bacon & Egg Ice Cream served with maple syrup.

543206_10151254943099983_1651055093_n.jpg

Margherita Pizza.

735166_10151288038499983_1932597109_n.jpg

Tuna Pizza, my favorite.

555165_10151288053154983_1684119695_n.jpg

Bacalhau (Salt Cod) Risoto.

555789_10151324641194983_643936717_n.jpg

Duck Breast Sous Vide with Cointreau Sauce and Lemon Risoto.

530600_10151297042239983_1026012829_n.jpg

Pinot Noir Infused Pear, cooked sous vide at 80C for one hour.

734809_10151324878604983_1282671573_n.jpg

David Ross Tasty looking char siu.

huiray Wow pancit luglug, looks fantastic! Haven't had that since Cendrillon restaurant moved out of Soho.

Something I've been planning to make for ages... the Four Seasons crispy farmhouse duck:

duck.jpg

I think this may be the best duck I've ever had. And pretty easy, aside from the 3 days' advance prep.

Something I've been planning to make for ages... the Four Seasons crispy farmhouse duck:

I think this may be the best duck I've ever had. And pretty easy, aside from the 3 days' advance prep.

Well, that is gorgeous (as many of these photos are). Is that Four Seasons as in the old Four Seasons cookbook from the classic NYC restaurant? I have that book but don't remember this duck.

Well, that is gorgeous (as many of these photos are). Is that Four Seasons as in the old Four Seasons cookbook from the classic NYC restaurant? I have that book but don't remember this duck.

Thanks janeer... and it is the very one (they still serve it btw):

duck_recipe.jpg

(I hope it's okay to post a photo of just the first page of this recipe... it goes on for quite a ways)

Making some Heritage Foods-Pork OssoBucco--using Red Wattle variety pork.

8447826956_b2ecc762df_h.jpg

After Browning with a bit of wonder flour/Potato starch..Place in a crock pot to cook for 9-10 hrs.

8447832730_b9b77c3bde_h.jpg

Stock/Tomato/Onions/Garlic/Carrots-- Lemon./ Parsley/ thyme/Bay

Its good to have Morels