• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 1)

Jason Perlow

Everything looks SO good!

Love me some poutine!

The duck confit poutine looks awesome!

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Pastrami for dinner. Just sliced pastrami. Made the beef cheek version and, after six days' worth of preparation and waiting, I just wanted to eat pure, unadulterated pastrami.

8352297736_6b924027d8_z.jpg

Lordie lordie. I'm just about to leave the house for a night out with my wife, and while I know the company will be unparalleled, I know I won't eat anything at a restaurant in my town that even comes close to measuring up... :/

I have tried short ribs, cheeks and a couple other but I've landed on chuck flap for my preferred cut. Cost, yield, fat and flavor are all very good.

7162703952_8b7171149c_z.jpg

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Everything looks great, especially the pastrami. :wub:

Mostly leftovers tonight (from Thai takeout -- fried chicken with Thai herbs and spices, sticky rice, pickle salad), but there were these two starters:

8428137051_74d44f70d9_z.jpg

Olive, tangerine and cherry pepper salad, with watercress and honey-roasted shallots

Takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.

The shallots were briefly marinated in 2 tablespoons olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar and 1 teaspoon honey, then roasted at 350 F for 20 minutes.

The dressing consists of extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt and black pepper.

This combination isn't so strange -- it's essentially an updated version of a salad I did around this time last year, with sherry-roasted shallots, olives and Cara Cara oranges, pictured below:

7019985581_df2d160d3f_z.jpg

There was also this:

8428240675_2f5210f33c_z.jpg

Crostini di fegatini (chicken liver crostini)

Typically you'll see a smooth paté where the liver is cooked, then blended or puréed. I prefer this "rustic" style. We'll just ignore the fact that I don't own an immersion blender (yet).

This is also a more minimalist version -- nothing but shallots, capers, chicken liver, sea salt, black pepper, Italian parsley and olive oil.

I've seen recipes that call for a full soffritto, along with chicken broth, porcini mushrooms and butter, to somewhat pared down versions that have Vin Santo, butter, olive oil, chicken heart, sage and red onion. To me, all that misses the point -- although they are certainly delicious -- because I want nothing but a pure, "clean" liver taste that comes through without too much distraction.

Liuzhou: Did you use fresh duck or Chinese BBQ duck? I have seen a couple of recipes using the BBQ duck and wondered how that would taste.

I used fresh duck. Deboned legs, in fact.

I've seen those recipes, too, but never tried them. Never fancied it.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Pasta with roasted eggplant, zucchini, broccoli, garlic, chicken sausage and tomato. I had roasted the vegetables the other day, and sauteed them today with the sausage. Finished with some fresh tomato and basil.

IMAG0162.jpg

Robirdstix: Happy to see the chicken marsala. It's been quite a while since I made it!

Scubadoo97! Want to lick the screen...that sauce! Homemade BBQ sauce? Care to share the recipe?

I made Brazilian Chicken in Cococnut Milk last week, but gave most of it away to my Brazilian students.

So tonight, I made a double batch, and we really enjoyed it.

Hubby prefers breasts but he got a leg as well: his plate

2 Brazilian chicken Bill's 8981.jpg

I prefer legs and wings: my plate

Sue-On's Brazilian chicken 8985.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

tonight:

8431043489_64e5503bb0_z.jpg

Chickpeas with winter greens and almonds

This is a vegan version of the tapa "garbanzos con espinaca", with watercress instead of spinach. Try to use dried chickpeas instead of canned, as the difference in taste is immeasurable. The chickpeas can be cooked a couple of days beforehand, if time is an issue.

The recipe will be on the blog later this week. Inspired by David Tanis' version here: http://www.nytimes.c...th-Chorizo.html

8431043693_8f30d69450_z.jpg

Spaghetti con le sarde e finocchio (spaghetti with sardines and fennel)

tonight:

Chickpeas with winter greens and almonds

This is a vegan version of the tapa "garbanzos con espinaca", with watercress instead of spinach. Try to use dried chickpeas instead of canned, as the difference in taste is immeasurable. The chickpeas can be cooked a couple of days beforehand, if time is an issue.

The recipe will be on the blog later this week. Inspired by David Tanis' version here: http://www.nytimes.c...th-Chorizo.html

Spaghetti con le sarde e finocchio (spaghetti with sardines and fennel)

Clean and sexy food right there.

Scubadoo97! Want to lick the screen...that sauce! Homemade BBQ sauce? Care to share the recipe?

Thanks Dejah,

The BBQ sauce consisted of the reduced stock from the heads of the shrimp, onions, garlic, sectioned meyer lemons, homemade Creole spice blend, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce and butter. The ratio of Worcestershire sauce to butter was 4 Tbs WS to 1 stick of butter. Less butter than many recipes called for but still too much for me. I'll go less next time

Your chicken dish looks very rich and inviting. I've done Thai dishes with coconut milk but not Brazilian.

Soba, the chickpeas look really good. I've done it with spinch many times. Are your chickpeas canned or homemade? I just can't get my pressure cooked garbanzos to look that pretty.

Thanks Dejah,

The BBQ sauce consisted of the reduced stock from the heads of the shrimp, onions, garlic, sectioned meyer lemons, homemade Creole spice blend, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce and butter. The ratio of Worcestershire sauce to butter was 4 Tbs WS to 1 stick of butter. Less butter than many recipes called for but still too much for me. I'll go less next time

Your chicken dish looks very rich and inviting. I've done Thai dishes with coconut milk but not Brazilian.

Soba, the chickpeas look really good. I've done it with spinch many times. Are your chickpeas canned or homemade? I just can't get my pressure cooked garbanzos to look that pretty.

The chickpeas were soaked for 24 hours, then cooked in 5 cups water, a clove-studded half onion and some coarsely chopped carrot for a little over an hour.

The ingredients for the tapa consist of onion, olive oil, pimenton, cumin, sea salt, black pepper, garlic, almonds and watercress. (I adapted the recipe so that it'd be vegan and based on what was on hand in my pantry.)

Scubadoo – You have done some amazing photos of delicious dishes lately.

Dejah – I like the way you enjoy the chicken with your Hubby.

Robirdstx - Chicken Marsala looks beautiful and appetizing.

Liuzhou – Nice Thai style red duck curry. Is that how you are supposed to enjoy the dish, with a wrapper?

Kerry Beal – Very pretty plated roasted chicken.

C. sapidus – The best coconut rice I haver seen in a while.

pastameshugana – I lives not far from NYC’s Katz Deli, I know a good Pastrami, and yours is a good Pastrami.

FrogPrincesse – luscious rack of lamb.

Kim – I will work as a helper in your kitchen and may be I will learn to make wonderful simple food.

Scottyboy – extraordinary swordfish!

---------------------------------------------------------

Practicing a few dishes for Valentine’s Day.

dcarch

Sous Vide Pork Chops

valentineporkchop_zpsfa716c36.jpg

valentineporkchop2_zps9461cb85.jpg

Sous Vide Pork Loin

Valentineporkloin_zps404ee439.jpg

Valentineporkloin2_zpse898b461.jpg

Fried Rice

vlaentinefriedrice2_zpsb7cacea6.jpg

Vlaentinefriedrice_zps0a3ba32f.jpg

Edited by dcarch (log)

Beautiful as usual. Is that a cabbage roll with a gaufrette on top?

Indeed! Basically carrots, turnips, haricot vert and asparagus, all cut in 5mm batonnet, spread with an herb butter (chervil, chives parsley) and rolled around a stick of pre-cooked foie gras then wrapped tightly in plastic. They are reheated by steam.

Oohiadml.jpg