• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 1)

Jason Perlow

Dumb question...but, is the pea puree cold or warm? It looks delicious!

Warm. I boiled the peas with some garlic, onions and one potato in a small amount of water for about 5-10 minutes and blended it with a few leaves of fresh mint. The texture was very smooth.

[Very appetizing lamb and potatoes! (is that a gratin dauphinois?)

Yes, my favorite combination with lamb!

Pork ragu on the menu today (making a larger batch, since it freezes so well). Ground pork, pan fried pancetta, red wine and lots of thyme & garlic. Bunch of parmesan rinds going in too.

ragu (1 of 1).jpg

Tried doing half normally and the other half in a pressure cooker. Surprisingly I liked the non-PC version better.

Not a big poster on the Dinner thread - think perhaps only once or twice before. But had to share the Zuni Chicken with Bread Salad.

Roasted the chicken in the BGE - very satisfactory - all that splattered grease outside!

DSCN0903.jpg

Managed to snatch an old cast iron skillet of a decent size from my dad.

DSCN0904.jpg

Should be leftovers for work lunches for the rest of the week.

image.jpg

Chicken with Avocado/Tomato/Habanero salsa over baby arugula

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Sous vide chicken breast (60°C - 45 minutes) with lemon sauce and fennel puree

45 minutes is a bit light on for time. I'd want it in the bath for over an hour to reach temp. My bet is that the core would have been at around 56-57C, which is too uncooked for my liking with chicken. Perhaps try 1 hour 10 minutes next time. It will still be moist but at a more appropriate temperature for chicken.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Knowing you, spinach is the main ingredient but one of many. What's with it?

It's just really incredible, sweet spinach wilted in a bit of olio nuovo, then a few spoonfuls of creme fraiche are added to the pan, simmered for a minute, then about two tablespoons of my own black truffle butter emulsified in. The plate is circled with some veal jus, then the spinach, then some of the reduced cooking juices, then some grated parmesan. I have to say it was a very satisfying plate of spinach.

Enjoyed a nice weekend at the Niagara on the Lake Icewine Festival

Dinner was Duck confit Poutine

duckconfitpoutine.jpg

And I had my first wood oven pizza

The oven

woodfire.jpg

The pie, simple and very tasty

woodfirepizza.jpg

Odered a meat lovers pie to go :biggrin:

Shane

Shane - where did you eat?

dcarch – lovely looking rice salad!

Bruce – thank you. And your bachelor food sounds suspiciously like the kind of food I gravitate to when Mr. Kim is out of town or working late. Add my truly shameful pleasure – fish tacos made with frozen fish sticks – and I’m there! Those chicken thighs look great! Do you sear them in a pan first to get such a nice crust on the skin?

Wapi – the juiciness of that chicken breast is amazing. It really supports sous vide as a method!

Shane – duck confit poutine sounds like the best idea in the world right now.

Thanks for all the nice comments about my pancakes. They really were good and it’s so nice when you are able to satisfy a craving so happily! I haven’t been doing much meal prep at all lately. Too many nights out. Sunday was our daughter Jessica’s 29th birthday and we had a family celebration on Friday night. Dinner, by request of the birthday girl was ham, turkey and Swiss panini on raisin bread with Dijon and fig jam:

med_gallery_3331_114_75357.jpg

Quick Tomato Consommé:

med_gallery_3331_114_51381.jpg

Potato chips and a relish assortment, including my MIL’s fantastic sweet pickled green tomatoes:

med_gallery_3331_114_22568.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_38855.jpg

Dessert was Daiquiri Poundcake:

med_gallery_3331_119_67450.jpg

And Pumpkin Poundcake with lemon curd:

med_gallery_3331_119_81227.jpg

Pastrami for dinner. Just sliced pastrami. Made the beef cheek version and, after six days' worth of preparation and waiting, I just wanted to eat pure, unadulterated pastrami.

8352297736_6b924027d8_z.jpg

Lordie lordie. I'm just about to leave the house for a night out with my wife, and while I know the company will be unparalleled, I know I won't eat anything at a restaurant in my town that even comes close to measuring up... :/

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Kim – No searing, just roasted in the oven. Pickled green tomatoes sound very fun, and happy birthday to Jessica!

Emily - That sounds really good!

Improvised sorta-Thai meal here.

Red curry fish – with ginger, garlic, shallots, coconut milk, Thai basil, and slivered lime leaves.

Cucumber salad – with Thai chiles, garlic, fish sauce, sugar, and ketjap manis plus lemon juice (best sub for tamarind I could think of . . .)

Coconut rice – younger son’ favorite carbohydrate source

p1405621524-4.jpg