• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 1)

Jason Perlow

Thank you everyone. Vegetarian cooking can be fun.

The design on the tofu is silly simple. I like silken tofu. I like them a little firmer. I just let the tofu rest on a surface that had a design to drain off some water. In a few hours, the tofu took on the design of the surface.

Scotty, the black garlic sauce is black garlic blended with olive oil.

dcarch

Great looking meals everyone :smile:

Did a pulled pork dinner for the guys at work. Used a turbo method for these

Started with about 24lbs of pork and the total time was approx. 6.5 hrs

The picnics were put on at 350/375 with some cherry and pear wood

shoulderson.jpg

They were taken to 160 then foiled, taken off at 195

160.jpg

Other than the lack off bark, which I lose because I have to cooler the meat for 5hrs before we eat,

this was very good. Tender, really moist and great flavour.

Shane

Edited by Mr Holloway (log)

Scotty, I love swordfish but my wife hates it. I think it's something about the way I cook it, it turns out dry. I have tried drowning it in sauce but it doesn't work. Does 62C and then crisp up the surface result in a moist fish?

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

So moist.

I didn't like it growing up because my mom would dry it out but I was determined to cook it nicely and have found the way.

I shocked the other piece and put it in the ridge. Gonna re-therm today and see if the results are the same.

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

C. sapidus aka Bruce: What! You "messed up" the eternal cucumber?!!! Thighs look great. Think I'll salt some this weekend for Chinese salty chicken and make a bunch for lunches next week. Might even feed my students. :smile:

This term, I have 3 students from Brazil, so will be looking for some Brazilian dishes to cook up. Picked up black beans today. Is that a good start?

dcarch: I'm definitely going to try that embossed tofu!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

8414626107_373b18c16c_o.jpg

Simple aioli with garlic pasta with local Key West shrimp. Outstanding.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

rod rock - Thanks!

Dejah – Thank you, too! Yes, lately the boys seem to prefer their eternal cucumbers mixed in with other vegetable matter.

Chinese salty chicken? Do tell!

Caramel chicken with ginger, fish sauce, and scallions, over coconut rice. Unpictured salad. Simple but effective.

p1398747602-4.jpg

Scotty, I love swordfish but my wife hates it. I think it's something about the way I cook it, it turns out dry. I have tried drowning it in sauce but it doesn't work. Does 62C and then crisp up the surface result in a moist fish?

I agree with Scotty. Sous vide is the best way to prepare swordfish to keep it moist. Though I'd recommend somewhere around 52-55C rather than 62.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

that Ck. looks so delicous. Im trying to move back for SV to stuff like that

would you share your Rx?

Rotus - Thank you. Both chicken dishes are from Andrea Nguyen's Into the Vietnamese Kitchen (highly recommended!). The first is "garlicky oven-roasted chicken", and the second is "chicken and ginger simmered in caramel sauce". They should be readily available via search, but if not shoot me a PM.

An obscenely large hamburger built for two.

8418945034_2ef4f8b2c7_b.jpg

Looks obscenely good!

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Today, picked up a cut of beef I've never seen in our stores: petite shoulder tender.

I'm not sure how to use it, but google said grill, pan-seared, roasted? Any suggestions?

shoulder tender package 8929.jpg

So, I sliced one up and could tell right away that it will be tender. Marinated with salt, MSG, oil and cornstarch. Made up a quick curry stir-fry with Patak Hot Curry paste with chunks of bell pepper, onion, and a jalapeno. It was a good supper. :smile:

curry beef with shoulder tender 8927.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com