• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 1)

Jason Perlow

A plate of easy mid winter comfort.

spezzatino over rice. I was too lazy to make polenta I guess more acurately it would be called spezzatino di manzo .. I used tri-tip for the beef.

GEDC3864.jpg

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Chicken gyoza in chicken broth.

I roasted some chicken wings for 100 mins at 200 C to boost a store bought chicken stock. I also browned the left over dumpling mix for the stock. The fat on top given a wonderful chicken flavor that doesn't quite carry over to the stock given the very short prep or lack of pressure cooker. The dumplings were nice, chicken mince water chestbuts and spring onion, mainly. Steamed, then fried in the stock fat. Some on traditional veg in there, I'd imagine, but I don't care much for tradition.

2013-01-14-Dumplings-1.jpg

Looks good Ben, but you won't get away with just serving 5 dumplings per person around here. Ten is an absolute minimum and that's for the kids, sick and lost-their-appetite elderly. Twenty is more like it.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

9 # Majinola Prime Rib Roast Finished cut --I aged it 14 days wet cry-vac bag open.. I used half for new yrs. I then dry aged it 14 days,

Cooked it low and slow@ 200F till internal temp was 110

Bagged it it Sous vide it @136/6hrs

Blast finished it @500

8378824372_0c21ed478a_h.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

thanks PB ! youre welcome to email me a chunk of that rib as an attachment!

what did you feel you gained on the two cook method? why not full SV, or even SV at the two lower temps PG has suggested for 'rapid age?'

Im hankering for a prime rib where I separate the cap and trim off (most) of the fat and do the 1 week age in the 'frigerator and then the two step 'rapid age'

cheers

Edited by rotuts (log)

uploadfromtaptalk1358170288652.jpg

Cheeseburger, freshly ground beef, patty cooked sous vide then seared on a cast iron griddle. Mushroom and shallot on top. Served with excellent fries.

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

This was the finished roast.. after 14 day dry, I sliced the cap seasoned it with salt 24 hrs prior to cooking, then only Malbar pepper.

I really liked this method as it does help concentrate some beefy flavors first!!

8378703022_cb1534fd4a_h.jpg

Its good to have Morels

Great dinners everyone, nice to catch up on so many lovely dishes. I started the new year off with a couple of Thai dishes. First was pad phed pla duk tod grob or Spicy Crispy Catfish. This is a really interesting dish, the catfish is deep fried until it's completely dry and crispy like a cracker then it's coated with a dry red curry sauce. Garnished with fried Thai basil, the flavour and textures of this dish is amazing.

IMG_2361.JPG

With the left over red curry paste a more conventional deep fried bream coconut curry.

20130107.JPG

Then a couple of comfort dishes. Crab pasta and Claypot rice:

20130112b.JPG

20130108e.JPG

if it were me I would have simply cooked it on the grill or under the broiler. Done. But that's just me... To each their own.

My last Rib Roast I cooked at 500 the whole time..Turned out good too, as the interior had the correct temp.. but my rib cap was well done :(

But your correct!!

Its good to have Morels

sometimes " each " understands to try something else. that, some times might become their new very "own" or not.

BP is the (one of a few ) experts here on Beef

check out his Own Personal Burger Blend, I have not, unfortunately, studied this my self. but I can assure you its the best burger around.

Of course, with my nuances well .......

good luck beeeting that!

Edited by rotuts (log)

Playing around with sous vide cooking. This weekend I tried pork belly. First time cooking pork belly. The belly was cut into 4 slabs, rubbed with dark brown sugar, salt, coriander placed in zip bags and a couple of tbs of concentrated chicken stock was added. Cooked at 160* f / 27 hrs. Removed from bath and pressed and chilled. Today I cut one of the slabs into cubes and seared. Very impressed with the results. Better than my fist bite of pork belly from a well know restaurant in Miami. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358207993.344275.jpg