• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 1)

Jason Perlow

Thanks guys, you are very kind.

Tofu was braised in thick highly condensed chicken stock on very low fire for a couple of hours.

The chicken was sous vided at 150F, with skin on, 3 hours. Then quick chill in freezer for about 40 minutes before browning in ultra hot cast iron pan on two sides.

Those scallops were large dry scallops. At $15.00 a lb is not cheap, but no fat and no bones, all lean meat. Sous vided at 120F for 30 minutes, no lost in weight either.

dcarch

Ziti (since I was out of penne) a la vodka, with grilled chicken and chicken sausage, finished with pecorino. The sauce came out a little thinner than I would've liked, but I was looking for quick comfort food to end a (very) long week.

ziti a la vodka with grilled chicken, chicken sausage.jpg

So who is this army of lucky people you feed dcarch? Always awesome platters of food!

I will agree on the awesome platters, but feeding an Army? Maybe an Army of rabbits, those platters would definitely leave me hungry.

Thanks again everyone.

Scottyboy, "---Haha well mine plating is always for one or two.---"

Exactly what I do. I do the same even if I am microwaving leftovers eating alone. I don't really call it plating per se because most of the time it does not take any longer or any thinking. Just pile the food on a plate. After a while you feel that each ingredient tells you where it wants to be on a plate.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

I often scream and shout at inanimate things in the kitchen.The pan that isn't as hot as I want it when I want it. The imperfect slice of what ever I was carving. The sauce that curdles. (All my fault, I know)

But when they start answering me back, is when I quit!

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

uploadfromtaptalk1358039387002.jpg

Potato, leek and parsnip soup. I made this to use up the vegetables in my crisper drawer and a half batch of sous vide vegetable stock from the freezer. Served with whole grain bread (recipe from Bouchon Bakery book) and a drizzle of good olive oil.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I love reverse-engineering Soba's creations from the photos and the open-ended descriptions. It's like working from recipes by Patience Grey or Elisabeth David - they are invitations to experiment. And thus especially useful for a cook like myself who defaults to recipes and precision.

This is based on Soba's pastina e ceci from a couple days ago. I pressure-cooked the chickpeas, used orzo in place of pastina, and salt pork in place of pancetta. I used all the remaining ingredients mentioned - onion, carrot, celery, celery leaves, chickpeas, Italian parsley, sage, rosemary, sea salt, black pepper - including water instead of stock, which took some restraint because I had just made a large quantity of pressure-cooked chicken stock. However I was mindful of the thread from earlier this year about the superiority of water to stock in many soups, and also had recently reread John Thorne's rant on the subject in Outlaw Cook, so was determined to stay the course.

I'm glad I did - this is a wonderful, herbal fresh & rich soup, bursting with the flavor of chickpeas and parsley. Thanks Soba.

orzo_with_chickpeas.jpg

Here's a dish I made - but was inspired by the article here. Started with some sous vide short ribs (133 F for 72 hours), then added some lightly set liquid egg yolks (cooked 149 F for 35 mins) mixed with salt and vinegar. Made some curry paste with coconut milk, galangal, cilantro, chili peppers, lemongrass, and shallots, etc.

737610_10102703690105230_2039907095_o.jpg

• Like 1

Baselerd – that noodle dish looks and sounds amazing. NOT something that I’d ever attempt, but I wish I knew someone who would!

Soba – the Pastina e ceci looks so delicious! And the classic spaghetti with clams has been a favorite of mine since I was a little girl!

dcarch – beautiful brisket and latkes!

Dinner last night:

med_gallery_3331_114_167904.jpg

Kielbasa w/ peppers and onions, baked beans and fruit salad.

How were the tomato's, Baselerd? (edit: both kinds)

Very good, nothing too fancy here - I used campari tomatoes for the chips (blanched, skinned, sliced 2-3 mm thick, sprinkled with salt and dehydrated @ 140 F for 2 days). For the others, I blanched baby San Marzano tomatoes, skinned them, sprinkled with confectioner's sugar and salt, and then dehydrated for 3-4 hours at 135 F, until slightly dehydrated but still juicy in the center.

Edited by Baselerd (log)

Last night's dinner:

Lobster and ricotta pizza.

Lobster and ricotta pizza 2.jpg

Lobster and ricotta pizza - bottom crust.jpg

Tonight's dinner:

Flounder sauteed in butter, with a little raspberry chipotle sauce. Roasted broccoli and cauliflower. Spicy eggplant and roasted red pepper salad (from the "Book of Jewish Food" by Claudia Roden).

Flounder, spicy eggplant salad, roasted broccoli and cauliflower.jpg