• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 1)

Jason Perlow

Basquecook – thank you for your kind words! So many of my holiday foods are recipes made by family and friends. Most of my Christmas night dinner items are from the Christmas dinner that my paternal grandmother made since my dad and his brothers were small. She was a complete non-cook (her refrigerator only contained olives for martinis and Metrical shakes) except for Christmas night when she went all out and cooked the best meal I’ve ever tasted. The chicken salad and pimento cheese are from a lovely lady who used to post here at eG. Old timers will remember Rachel and her wonderful writing. I have been fortunate enough to become her friend and actually meet her and her family. I love the continuity of cooking foods that come from my personal history. My mom’s mousse recipe can be found here: http://www.recipecir...hrimp_Mold.html .

Shane – thank you! Mr. Kim got a jar of jalapeno olives in his stocking and I am stealing your idea of putting them on pizza!

Ranz – the chicken galantine looks delicious!

Tri2Cook – my cousin!!! We’ve missed you so much! Christmas Eve, our house, come early and help me set it all out!

Jason – those scallops sent me scurrying off to Google a recipe for orange cream sauce. Fantastic!

jvalentino – that smoked ham looks amazing. I just emailed Mr. Kim about it.

rico – lovely shrimp and a BEAUTIFUL photo!

Dinner last night started with the inevitable salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_90503.jpg

I also did Marlene’s Crispy Pork Chops w/ her Quick Tonkatsu sauce, fried rice (left over from dinner out the night before) and collard greens:

med_gallery_3331_114_59086.jpg

The pork chops were from Omaha Steaks and were, as usual, bland and characterless, but Marlene’s method of coating them and the sauce really ramped up the flavor.

Well, local weather conditions have conspired to grant me excellent eggplants at the market. And when life gives you eggplants, ratatouille is the obvious answer!

Ratatouille1.jpg

More details in the ratatouille cookoff thread - this is a take on the dish that doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet....

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Been done more than a few times, but here's my take on the Momofuku Ramen, with roasted pork belly, pork shoulder, sauteed bamboo shoots, sous vide egg, collard greens, and noodles. I combined the techniques from MC and the Momofuku book to make the broth, which was by far the meatiest, richest broth I've made:

1. Boil and steep kombu 10 minutes

2. Simmer Shiitakes for 30 minutes

3. Simmer whole chicken (cut down) for ~1 hour

3. Roast pork neck bones in oven ~1 hour

4. Strain broth into pressure cooker, cook at 15 psi for 1.5 hours with bones and bacon

5. Add scallion, carrot, onion and simmer for another 45 minute

6. Strain, season with Tare

738192_10102693611941950_246644230_o.jpg

Edited by Baselerd (log)

I decided to do a bit of prep cooking for our superbowl party coming in a few weeks. This will all be vac sealed and will be heated in the bag, ready to go for the game.

bostonbutt.jpg

Boston Butts, smoked at 4 hours mark, before wrapping in foil

pulledpork.jpg

Rough pull before saucing.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

8365356961_b8a8cbd999_o.jpg

Smoked Steak (cooked with the still burning fuel from the BBQ with some hickory wood added) with Montreal Rub

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Slipper burgers – Lamb with onion, ginger, garlic, chiles, cilantro, coriander, cumun, cayenne, and black pepper. Potato rolls and Sriracha mayo added after the picture.

Grilled zucchini salad – Dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, cilantro, cumin, white pepper, and smoked paprika.

p1373035152-4.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

8366021731_9c993832b5_z.jpg

Brussels sprouts "home fries"

Nothing but brussels sprouts, butter, sea salt, black pepper. You can sub out the butter for olive oil to make it vegan.

8366021889_3bfbf8018c_z.jpg

Pastina e ceci

This version is "in bianco" (without any tomato).

Contains pancetta, onion, carrot, celery, celery leaves, chickpeas, Italian parsley, sage, rosemary, sea salt, black pepper, pastina pasta and water, along with lashings of extra-virgin olive oil and pecorino Romano cheese. Besides pastina, you can use any kind of soup pasta from conchiglette (small shells) to orzo, or even broken pasta like rigatoni (put rigatoni under some cheesecloth, smash with a kitchen mallet) or torn up larger pasta such as pappardelle. This is a very forgiving dish that you can customize to your heart's content depending on what's in your pantry. The basic recipe typically has garlic, rosemary and tomato, to which you can add other things such as pancetta, peperoncini and/or parsley in addition to the chickpeas. Or make one without tomato, as you see above.

(http://farm9.staticf...8a8cbd999_o.jpg)

Smoked Steak (cooked with the still burning fuel from the BBQ with some hickory wood added) with Montreal Rub

What's in your "Montreal Rub"? The recipe seems to vary.

No idea. We bought it from Penzeys a while back.

I shudder posting in the "Dinner" thread. Although I enjoy my dinners, well sharing them is another matter ...

Chicken Dinner:

Chicken Dinner.jpg

I post this as there is no Chicken in this Dinner.

this is Trader Jose's Chicken-Less Mandarin Orange Morsels (Tofu)

smart-oven'ed until very crispy

1/2 of the 'sauce packet' and a lot of Mae Ploy Sweet Chili sauce and a lot of (frozen) grated ginger.

the bok choi I forgot to add to the basmati rice in the Fuzzy Rice Cooker when the rice is done and in Stay Warm mode, but have done that subsequently.

in the future Ill dump that TJ's fructose packet and use some good orange marmalade with the Mae Ploy and lots and lots of ginger.

some sliced green onions.

pretty good when you want Orange Flavor Chicken and can't get to your local Chinatown.

8369190276_bf81da99d4_o.jpg

Experimental dish tonight. I had smoked several pieces of tofu on the BBQ last night along with the pork and the steak. So I sliced this up and wokked it with minced chicken mixed with a black bean paste and XO sauce, mushrooms, garlic, shallots and green onion, and leftover french green beans.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Thanks, janeer.

Tonight:

8368991287_c1e8058264_z.jpg

Insalata uovo e carne secca (warm salad, with egg and pancetta)

Doable in about 20 minutes, including prep.

Consists of pancetta cooked in olive oil, with mint, sage and rosemary, to which was added some raw beaten egg seasoned with sea salt and black pepper, then scrambled. The greens were dressed with red wine vinegar, a dry red wine, balsamic vinegar, sea salt and black pepper. There's some shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano to garnish, but that was just gilding the lily.

8368991531_de58ddaebc_z.jpg

Spaghetti con vongole (spaghetti with clams)

This is as basic as it gets -- Manila clams, peperoncini, parsley, wine, garlic, olive oil, spaghetti.

I eat A LOT of parsley, so whenever I make spaghetti con vongole, I just go crazy. I must have used something like 5-6 tablespoons worth of finely minced parsley leaves and stems.

I go through something like 2 bunches a week of either flat-leaf or regular parsley.

New Year's Day meal. Traditional southern foods (pork for moving forward into a new year, greens for prosperity and blackeyed peas for luck) and corn muffins (for tastiness).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357698299.913985.jpg

I had to respond to this. I live in the east coast and we also eat pork on new years day for moving forward. It is also bad luck to eat chicken on new years day because chickens scratch backwards..lol. Here in dutch country we eat our pork with sauerkraut and apples and a touch of brown sugar along side mashed potatoes with pork gravy.

102_5027.jpg

Spaghettoni with octopus. The octopus tentacles were cleaned then bagged with a bit of salt, pepper, olive oil, a dried chilli, coriander seeds and cumin seeds. It was bathed at 77C for 5 hours. I peeled off the suckers, chopped the tentacles and set them aside. The sauce was pretty much just some baby romas with a little garlic, bird's eye chilli and parsley.

occy-1_zpsa0f691d8.jpg

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

It took me a while to go thru all the fantastic meals I have missed, because I read them several times; they are so amazing!

I have been traveling and not much time to post.

Here are a few recent ones:

dcarch

Plain braised tofu with black garlic sauce

squaretofu2_zps50e60b67.jpg

squaretofu_zpsb7b18a48.jpg

Sous vide chicken thighs

chickenthightfrenchfries2_zps3c6f4f57.jpg

chickenthightfrenchfries_zps50c8a472.jpg

Sous vide brisket, latkes

brisketlatkes2_zps91840fc4.jpg

brisketlatkes_zpseb558c08.jpg

Sous vide scallops on wild rice soup

scallopwildricesoup2_zps61c0cffe.jpg

scallopwildricesoup_zpse81cc097.jpg

well I for One would like to hear more about the above:

what are braised tofu (s) ? are they not 'pre cooked?'

keen on all you can reveal on the Ck Th SV: time temp and you left the skin on then brown-ed?

I'd love on scallops if they were 1) fresh 2) I might afford them

fortunately for me they are not fresh enough where I live ( BOS ) ( ask your scallop monger that you would like to take a wiff of the scallops or fish before you buy - better be able to run Fast! )

even The Trader no longer caries them Sea nor Bay Sad sad sad ...

Im stuck with Chicken-Less Mandarin Tofu .....

which I have to tell you is pretty tasty if you study it ... crispy!