• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 1)

Jason Perlow

I'm on the road, so tonight's dinner is a take away from a tiny Sichuan restaurant in a Sichuan village.

宫保鸡丁 (gōng bǎo jī dīng), aka Kungpo Chicken, spicy chicken with peanuts.

Not pretty I grant you, but it was tasty. Hot as Hades, while simultaneously mouth-numbing from the Sichuan peppercorns. Somewhat over-padded out with carrot but at ¥18 (£1.80; $2.90) for the large dish with rice, who is complaining.

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

The restaurant's two tables were full, so I asked for it to go and went to another restaurant next door, ordered a beer and ate the meal from the first place. Perfectly acceptable in rural China. Don't try this at home!

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

so many wonderful dishes that at a distance ( ie here ) inspire me to move away from time to time from SV! and you should see my freezer!

mm: simply a stunning dessert! you can e-mail me that as an attachment to follow those perfect, ie perfect Turbot dishes. are those available by attachment?

now all I have to decided on are the 'Hors : how about a cold selection of Oysters on the 1/2?

many thanks to all who share!

:biggrin:

original.jpg

Sardines on toast. The sardines were stuffed with chopped capers and red onion. The green sauce is a salsa verde, the red sauce is a simple passata.

Edited by Keith_W (log)
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

I'm on the road, so tonight's dinner is a take away from a tiny Sichuan restaurant in a Sichuan village.

宫保鸡丁 (gōng bǎo jī dīng), aka Kungpo Chicken, spicy chicken with peanuts.

Not pretty I grant you, but it was tasty. Hot as Hades, while simultaneously mouth-numbing from the Sichuan peppercorns. Somewhat over-padded out with carrot but at ¥18 (£1.80; $2.90) for the large dish with rice, who is complaining.

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

The restaurant's two tables were full, so I asked for it to go and went to another restaurant next door, ordered a beer and ate the meal from the first place. Perfectly acceptable in rural China. Don't try this at home!

Actually I did try it at home last night. Yours looks better!

2013-01-04_20-14-44_822.jpg

Liuzhou, that Kungpo chicken looks uncannily similar to the kind I can get at my local (southern US) Chinese restaurant. I have a feeling that yours tastes much better though!

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

The picture isn't that great (I have to work on my food photography), but tonight's dinner was flank steak (marinated in grapefruit juice, tequila, salt, sugar and onion) that was cooked in a cast-iron skillet with a little olive oil, some soy sauce, tabasco and spicy brown mustard, on top of a mixture of charred sundried tomatoes and caramelized onions, with romaine, diced jalapeno cheddar and a little horseradish mayo, on freshly made garlic and black pepper flatbread, served with seasoned baked potato chips.

IMAG0100.jpg

Thanks rotuts - I combined a Jewish chicken barley soup recipe from the web with an old Gourmet recipe for a browned chicken soup with leeks (and apples, Calvados and heavy cream - the latter ingredients, obviously, omitted from this). Although the stock was great, the soup was not successful - neither one nor the other.

So we made a whole pot of the stock again the next day and some of it went into that chicken with Sichuan peppercorns further up, which was a wild success... the first time I've ever come close to wok hay. I recieved Grace Young for Christmas and now I want to use some of the insights from this book on the Fucshia Dunlop recipes I've been working on.

The picture isn't that great (I have to work on my food photography), but tonight's dinner was flank steak (marinated in grapefruit juice, tequila, salt, sugar and onion) that was cooked in a cast-iron skillet with a little olive oil, some soy sauce, tabasco and spicy brown mustard, on top of a mixture of charred sundried tomatoes and caramelized onions, with romaine, diced jalapeno cheddar and a little horseradish mayo, on freshly made garlic and black pepper flatbread, served with seasoned baked potato chips.

IMAG0100.jpg

wow... It is always weird when I look and see someone on here has cooked something similar to what I have prepared. My photo wasn't the greatest either .

Skirt steak taco with homemade guacamole. skirt marinade was adapted from a Rick Bayliss recipe. Skirt was seared on a comal then sliced across the grain.

GEDC3862.jpg

Edited by Ashen (log)

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Pastrami for dinner. Just sliced pastrami. Made the beef cheek version and, after six days' worth of preparation and waiting, I just wanted to eat pure, unadulterated pastrami.

8352297736_6b924027d8_z.jpg

Took a day off from Chinese to try something from The Food Of Morocco, which I got for Christmas. It's funny, I recently made a Parsi chicken with apricot dish. This one was even better. Though, as usual with Wolfert recipes, it turned out to be far more involved and time-consuming that a quick skim would suggest. Nonetheless incredible - one of my favorite new dishes.

While the marinated chicken cooks with onions in the tagine, you simmer butter, sugar, cinnamon and the apricots down to a syrupy glaze:

apricots_in_butter.jpg

This then goes in the tagine along with some fresh herbs and they cook until the meat is falling off the bone:

apricots_chicken_in_tagine.jpg

The final step is a quick glaze under the broiler, followed by a scattering of pine nuts.

chicken_apricots_final.jpg