• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Popular tea

ceylontea

I used to drink about 2 pots of coffee a day. For some reason, it started giving me gut trouble and I was tired of living on Tums so I switched to tea about 2 years ago. I probably drink way too much of that as well but it doesn't bother my stomach at all. If we're going by your standard size tea cup, which isn't what I use, I probably average about 14 - 16/day. Sometimes a little less, occasionally more. I drink 5 - 6 mugs a day on average but my mug holds just short of 3 standard tea cups.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Nowadays, around 2-3 cups of Chinese green tea or oolong tea or jasmine tea on average. I still drink coffee, although it used to be almost always coffee in the mornings (and after a good meal at a nice restaurant). "English-type" or Indian teas, none at all. I can't remember the last time I had something like Earl Grey (gag) or tea with milk in it. The latter I guess it would have been the last time I had a full-blown English Tea with crumpets and scones and all but I can't remember when the last time for *that* was.

I have 3 (12 oz) cups per day. Usually 2 in the morning and one after lunch. I drink either a Scottish breakfast blend or a Keemun in the morning and a Darjeeling in the afternoon. Lately though I've been drinking a lovely Assam Bukhial for one of my cups in the morning very malty and rich. Right now I am having a cup of Keemun that I got on a visit to Chinatown in New York City last weekend. It's very good but so strong it could double as paint remover.

2 to 3, but from a stone beer mug, so that equates to about 1 to 1.5 ltr per day, sometimes more.

I drink all types of tea, from the cheap tea bags, to a special mix designed by my grandma to green tea.

I don't drink a lot of coffee anymore. I used to and it never gave me any problems. But were I live now, people mainly drink instant coffee and I don't care for the taste.

Okay, maybe my answer should have been "zero". My tea is basically just serving to replace the coffee I mostly dropped. I'm just tossing a Red Rose tea bag in a big mug of hot water and adding a bit of sugar and milk. If I'm feeling fancy, I may toss in an Earl Grey bag instead. I'm pretty sure that doesn't even count among true tea lovers. :biggrin:

As an aside, has anyone else noticed there's a temp where tea is really soothing going down? It seems like there's a temp where it's almost, but not quite, too hot to drink that is really nice in the throat. It doesn't stay at that temp for very long, I wish it did.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 months later...

Years ago, as a British soldier, tea was provided at every meal,

brewed in Tea Urns, always freshly made and a can of Carnation Evaporated milk added.

This is the same method since WW1, and perhaps before

Fresh and hot it was splendid and revived you, but it could not keep, a second mug, carried back to your barrackroom never tasted the same.

I have never had the courage to buy a can of Carnation Evaporated Milk to replicate that feeling.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Totally depends. If it's a day I have the samovar or stacked kettle going, then I'm drinking stikans of chai (what's in my avatar-always ceylon tea, incidentally!) all day long, at half hour to hour intervals. If I'm feeling like busting out my Tokoname teapot, then typically 3-6 mugs of Japanese green tea, depending if I do 1 or 2 loads (3 mugs or so per dose of tea). And if I'm doing neither, then it can range from 0 cups per day, to a pot of Lapsang, to one or two mugs of Ahmad English Tea No. 1 tea bag with milk.

My new answer to this question is "zero". I went off tea completely 3 weeks ago. I'm going to stay off of both coffee and tea for a while. The goal is to eventually allow myself an occasional cup of coffee or tea without getting back into the extreme excess. If I'm too weak-willed to do that, then I'll be staying off of both altogether.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...