• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Books that Teach Blown Sugar Art Flowers

CKatCook

I want to learn how to make flowers from pulled and blown sugar, but there is no good classes in the area, so I figured if there was a good book on the subject that would suffice. I realize that is not the ideal way to go about learning the craft, but under the circumstances it maybe the best I can do.

Does anyone know of a good book on the subject?

Thanks!

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I second Notters book. Many texts on sugar work are out of print, and thus difficult to get without paying out more then the book is worth. Notters book is the most recently published and goes into great detail on the many many different things you can do with sugar, isomalt, and pastillage. If you have any interest in sugarwork, you'll love that book.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I have Notter's The Textbook of Sugar Pulling and Sugar Blowing. It's a nice book on the subject. I bought it several years ago, looked through it once or twice and since then it's been tucked away in a box with a few other books I had to have but never use. I bought it during a phase when I was trying to force myself to want to do showpieces and things like that. It didn't work, I still have no interest in that area of pastry work.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

youtube! I just searched for "blow sugar" and found a lot of videos, I'm sure there are more with other search terms.

It's becoming an invaluable source, you can have Thomas Keller show you stuff, Ramsey, etc etc etc and random people with home video. I learned a lot of great techniques there, not only for the kitchen by the way, art, home repair, and so on and so on.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog