• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bizarre cookbooks

ElainaA

Because I love food and cooking, people frequently give me cookbooks. This year for Christmas I received one of the most bizarre I have seen - Fifty Shades of Chicken by FL Fowler. (I do not for a minute believe in that name.) Each recipe has a lengthy introduction written from the point of view of the chicken herself (free range, of course) and features bondage and s&m and a very dominating chef. I think I am flattered, at my age, that my niece was sure I would find it funny rather than offensive.

Some of the recipes look good....

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I'm not even going to put this one here except as a link. I heard about it existing and thought "it has to be fake". Apparently not.

Oh dear - worse even than a breast milk cookbook. Did you check out the "customers who viewed this item also viewed"?

Oh dear - worse even than a breast milk cookbook. Did you check out the "customers who viewed this item also viewed"?

Yeah, I saw that. Just keeps getting better, doesn't it?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Because I love food and cooking, people frequently give me cookbooks. This year for Christmas I received one of the most bizarre I have seen - Fifty Shades of Chicken by FL Fowler. (I do not for a minute believe in that name.) Each recipe has a lengthy introduction written from the point of view of the chicken herself (free range, of course) and features bondage and s&m and a very dominating chef. I think I am flattered, at my age, that my niece was sure I would find it funny rather than offensive.

Some of the recipes look good....

After reading your post I actually bought 2 copies of the book. One for me because the recipes looked good and one for my friend who is having a birthday next week. She read the novel and would enjoy receiving the book based on that. Thanx.

• 1 month later...

I have a book about a German couple who moved to the middle of nowhere in Canada and stopries about their adventures. The book starts with how their dog will not stop trying to chase porcupine, and moves nicely into the solution to their problem - Porcupine stew.

Most of the book is about living in the wilderness and recipes from the frontiersmen who opened up the 'new world'.

I have a book about a German couple who moved to the middle of nowhere in Canada and stopries about their adventures. The book starts with how their dog will not stop trying to chase porcupine, and moves nicely into the solution to their problem - Porcupine stew.

Most of the book is about living in the wilderness and recipes from the frontiersmen who opened up the 'new world'.

That sounds right up my alley. What's the title?

That sounds right up my alley. What's the title?

Yeah, I'd be curious to know the title of this one, too!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

If you want an excellent book about the adventures of wilderness living involving food - The Egg and I by Betty McDonald. It's an oldie but goodie - you'll laugh until you cry.

Some of us of a certain age - will recognize it as the stories from which Ma and Pa Kettle were taken.

I'm not even going to put this one here except as a link. I heard about it existing and thought "it has to be fake". Apparently not.

*faint* OMG, I learn something new every day. I had to put my breakfast down lol.

The book I have is in German. The couple wrote a series of 5 books called Kanada Klassik.

This book is

Wildnis- & Abenteuer-Kochbuch

from

Brigitte & Elmar Engel

publisher: Busse Seewald

ISBN 3-512-00898-4

and is a mixture of stories, descriptionso f how cooking and living was in pionier times, old photos and drawings and quite a few recipes.

Most of the recipes are standard stuff - pickled eggs, pancakes, jerky, bannock.

but it also has how to prepare bear meat and porcupine stew, Solomon Grundy and other interesting oddities.

I recommend Unmentionable Cuisine. This is arguably a bizarre cook book (it does have recipes), but despite its provocative title it's a good read, and I'm fairly certain it's nowhere near as controversial today as it was when it first came out (the gist of it is that one culture's 'weird/gross' is another's bog standard fare).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

The Culianry Herpitologist is on my bookshelf. http://www.amazon.com/The-Culinary-Herpetologist-ebook/dp/B0024NJY5I

Hard to imagine.

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

"Lobscouse and Spotted Dog"...a Gastronomic Companion to the Aubrey/Maturin Novels by Patrick O'Brian.

I gave this historical cookbook to a friend who is a fan of the novels by Patrick O'Brian.

She insisted on making some of the recipes for me to try. :sad:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver