• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rancilio Silvia and PIDs

Jason Perlow

An interesting article on the effect of brewing temperatures on extraction and taste can be found here. Interesting that 95C is right in the middle of the temperatures that were trialled (92, 94, 96, 98).

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Of course it is was 95C -- yesterday I put it in a cold cup which cooled the water before I measured its temperature. After pouring a number of shots to warm the cup before measuring, it read 95C. 

My eG Foodblog

• 3 weeks later...

On the basis of experience and recommendations on coffee forums, I leave it for at least 20-30 minutes. I turn mine on when waking up and it is well and truly ready to go when I'm making breakfast.

My eG Foodblog

I'll add that it  is like preheating an oven with a heat sink in it (or, as in my case, a Baking Steel). I heat the oven for a good 45 minutes.  Silvia can get heated up nicely in 30 - what I do is generally run it through a cycle or two as it's warming up without any coffee...I run through both the portafilter and steam wand...that will drop the temp so the boiler fires up again. And, it's only water.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 4 weeks later...
On December 20, 2015 at 0:47 AM, nickrey said:

On the basis of experience and recommendations on coffee forums, I leave it for at least 20-30 minutes. I turn mine on when waking up and it is well and truly ready to go when I'm making breakfast.

I have my Silvia on an electronic timer, a WeMo plug, but there are many on the market including very cheap electromechanical ones. I have it set for 6am to 7pm, and override it during the weekends.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host