• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rancilio Silvia and PIDs

Jason Perlow

So, I took the plunge into "real" espresso machines and ordered a brand new Silvia V3. On the prodding of Sam Kinsey, I'm also going to buy a PID for it.

However, the question is WHICH PID kit to get. The two cottage companies that offer them are PIDKits.com and PIDsilvia.com. Both of these are side mounts, but one uses the Watlow PID (more expensive, but supposedly higher quality devices) and the other uses Auber PIDs. Auber Instruments also offers its own PID kit now as well. However, the Auber PID kit is an undermount near the steamer wand and the espresso spout and I'm not crazy about that

So far, I haven't gotten either of these cottage businesses to answer emails. I guess whoever eventually gets back to me will get my bussiness, but I would rather know about some other choices if I have any.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I had a Silvia and got good use with it for about 4 years. I roast my own from Sweet Maria. I thought of adding a PID, then after lurking at HomeBarista for quite a while i took the plunge and got an Alexia PID from Chris Coffee. they make those with a cut out for the PID, and they installed it.

fantastic: but to the point the one they chose to install and still install I think it a Watlow PID. mine is single channel as I dont to milk. it has given me no problems for about 3 years of daily use.

I bought mine already PID'd, from Dave at HiTechEspresso. Going on 4 years without a problem (other than a squeaky steam knob).

Perhaps look at what he uses.

Obviously, the other important issue is...what type of grinder?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I bought my Silvia from WholeLatteLove.com and I got the Rancilio Rocky grinder with it in a package deal that is basically designed for it.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I have the auber undermount version, installed it myself, never had any issues with it.

It does however, prevent you from turning the wand fully inward if you want to store it, but I never really notice it anymore.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I've had mine with the Auber for at least 5 years, no problems except for the install CD arriving broken, just printed pages off to use instead. Having it next to the wand is no problem at all.

• 5 weeks later...

So I took the PID leap, and installed an Auber Instruments controller with pre-infusion and steam control today. I went with the Auber because the guy who sells the Watlow devices at PIDKits.com never returned any of my emails so I gave up and went with a known quantity.

8415557758_7554ba30bd_o.jpg

The results have been nothing short of freaking awesome. So far I have been experimenting with different grind levels and temperatures, and pulling manual and computer-controlled shots.

What temperatures and grind level combos seem to work the best for everyone? I've only been using double shot portafilters because the single shots are stupid.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

The other thing I want to say is I now know what a Al Qaeda bomb maker feels like. The wiring on this thing was hairy. I got it right the first time, though.

I have mine set at 105C (221F). Works well. Fill the basket up with loose grind coffee (don't press it down at all) such that it is level with the top. Run your finger across it to make sure it is level. Press down solidly in the middle of the tamper and then roll it around in a nutating motion (how a coin rolls when it is transitioning to flat). Brush off excess coffee around the edges. Run it through and adjust your grind so it takes around 30 seconds to pour 40ml of coffee.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I think it all depends. Depends on the coffee. The humidity. The grind. The tamp. Keep playing - sounds like you've got a good thing going.

Next, you'll be buying a bottomless portafilter so you can really geek out.

I just went thru a bag of this Verve Street Level espresso which I was able to buy (2 days post roast) at a DC ICH. If you scroll to the bottom of the page, they give some nice instruction.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Aright, you sold me. I just ordered the bottomless portafilter for the Rancilio V3 from Seattle Coffee Gear. Comes with a triple shot pan in it too.

Once you get the bottomless filter, you'll know whether your tamp is correct. If it isn't there will be channels in the coffee and the pour will not look like the really good one that Mitch has above.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Yar. save the triple until you completely master the double, lets say at 90 % perfect for the double. you decide 'perfect' as its your cup.

the triple is a completely different matter. it will only (eventually) work on the RS with a lot understanding on your part. a project for the future after you have completely mastered the double.

Edited by rotuts (log)

• 4 weeks later...

By George, I think I've got it.

http://vine.co/v/b67ji5u9EnL

14 grams, 205F. 25 seconds with pre-infusion.

Right now I am trying to get exactly 14g into the basket, and then LIGHTLY tamp so that the coffee is just beneath the measuring level.

205F seems to be a good temperature for the PID. Now it's futzing with the grind levels seems to be my next thing. I am at like the 8-8.5 setting or so on the Rocky, whatever that means. I'm using very fresh beans, I went to the Rowland Coffee Roasters factory in Doral FL on Monday of last week and bought 8Lb of their Bustelo Supremo which was roasted within hours of me purchasing it, so I think I have all the variables set.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Well, I am going through it at a pretty decent clip. Each bag is vac sealed, in 1Lb bags. I'm already almost finished with the first pound.

At the moment the other 7lbs are shoved in the bottom of a chest in my kitchen. Should I freeze it instead?

exactly 14g

fun to do, not as important as the tamp.

how do you plan to store that 8 LBS?

If you exceed 14g on the standard double basket for Rancilio, you are overdosing big time, especially if you are talking like 17 or 18g which is way too much. After doing a lot of research and talking to a lot of geeks about this (including the guy who runs PIDSilivia.com and wrote a whole treatise on this) 14g is -the- capacity for that basket. You might be able to get 15g out of it. Any higher than that the coffee is gonna touch the group head and it becomes a total lockup. I've gone through hell and wasted a lot of coffee until I came to this.

An interesting