• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Braised short ribs for New Year's Eve

eldereno

I have made dinner a few times for New Year's Eves in the past. The menus I have enjoyed the most for this occasion (also my birthday) have been those I can made ahead for the most part. I made a cassoulet with no knead bread one year (had a simple salad and cheese board available for those who wanted). Another year I made braised lamb shanks with a white bean gratin, bread and salad. Both of these were a tremendous success even though I had never made tham before.

This year I am contemplating making braised short ribs. Several recipes seem promising. These are the possible options (in no particular order)

1. Anne Burrell's braised short ribs on the Food Network site.

2. Red-Wine Braised Short Ribs with Rosemary and Porcini from Molly Stevens' The Art of Braising.

3. Beef Short Ribs Simmered in Red Wine with Fennel, Black Olives and Anchovies in the Style of Camargue from Paula Wolfert's The Slow Mediteranean Kitchen.

4. Short Ribs in Red Wine and Port from Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table.

5. Braised Beef Short Ribs from the Smitten Kitchen blog.

Now I do not ever remember having made braised short ribs before and am counting on getting some opinions from all all of you that I respect on this site. Need to make a decision soom because I have some shopping to do.

What do you think?

Considering making celery root and potato puree to accompany, some kind of greens (suggestions appreciated), bread (homemade of bought).

Planning to make enough to serve 12.

Thanks in advance.

Donna

Red wine braised beef short rib and Guinness braised beef short rib used to be two of my favourites, but I probably won't go back to braising short rib since I've tasted them done sous vide. If you have a sous vide apparatus, do it that way.

If not, I used this recipe from epicurious, and the short ribs were very good, but once the gremolata was added, it was amazing. It made a huge difference. These braises are also not hard to do, and don't require a lot of active cooking time. One thing I'd advise (from this recipe) is if you don't trim your ribs of all fat, the liquid tends to be a bit fatty. However, I like the flavour it adds, so I leave some fat on, and remove the floating liquid fat from the braising liquid when the ribs are done.

Edited by Ranz (log)

The Tom Colicchio recipe in "Think Like A Chef" is very nice as well. I've done it twice once with garlic smashed potato and, the second with fresh made sage pappardelle which I liked better.

"I drink to make other people interesting".

I use this recipe form the Galvin brothers and it never fails to impress people. Basically brown off the short ribs then in the same pan fry off a mirepoix and some pancetta. Add the veg to the ribs in a casserole dish. Deglaze the pan with a bottle of red wine and pour over the ribs and veg and top up with stock until covered. Then cook at around 150C for about 4 hours. Then spoon out the cooking liquor and strain in to a small sauce pan and reduce until a really intense strong thick jus. My main tip is make sure your stock is not too salty otherwise the reduced jus can be so I tend to water it down before using. Serve with mash, shallot puree(another galvin recipe) and honeyed parsnips - delicious!

You just can't believe all of the braised short rib recipes I have read!!! There are several items about many that I find interesting. I like the idea of preseasoning the meat the night before as http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cabernet-Braised-Short-Ribs-with-Gorgonzola-Polenta-and-Mixed-Herb-Gremolata-240108 and will definitely be making the gremolata. I like the use of the mirepoix in http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe_print/0,1946,FOOD_9936_289886_RECIPE-PRINT-FULL-PAGE-FORMATTER,00.html and adding the tomato paste. I have cabernet and beef stock as the braising liquid, thinking I will use mostly the cab with beef stock to bring the fluid to cover the ribs. I have a mix of both bone in and boneless short ribs (didn't like the look of most of the bone in short ribs at Wegman's yesterday).

I don't see any reason that combining these ideas in one dish would not work. What do you think?

Unfortunately, my largest oven is broken and I do not have a vessel large enough to fit all of the ribs that need braised. I thought I could use 2 of my large dutch ovens, put one in the oven to braise. When close to finished, bring the temp of the other up on the stove top then that could go in the oven. I do have all day tomorrow...in between much needed house cleaning. The temp outside should be low enough that I could "refridgerate" both on a table outside of my kitchen door.

Planning to have http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/baked-fontina-recipe/index.html as an appetizer.

Along side of the braised short ribs, plan to do http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/celery-root-and-potato-puree-recipe/index.html, http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/michael-symon/mushroom-casserole-recipe/index.html, sauteed spinach and garlic, and a simple tomato and red onion salad. I'm expecting someone to bring dessert.

edited due to typo.....hope there are not more!!!

Edited by eldereno (log)

Donna