• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can you keep potato salad?

OliverB

I use a recipe from an old Bavarian book to make my salad, it says to not keep it over night, as it's "dangerous" to do so. But it doesn't say why and I've kept it with no ill effect for a day or three.

But I'm curious, is this an old wives tale? An old pre refrigeration thing? Is there some toxin developing?

I have some left over from the 24th and plan to eat that just fine, but...

Any idea why this might be - or hopefully have been - an issue?

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Old wives tail. Its fine.

Im guessing it's a remnant of a time before refrigeration. Germs really love cooked rice and potatoes left in the "danger zone" for too long. Lots of people also think its the mayo in potato salad that makes it such a risk if not cared for properly, but the cooked potato is again the bigger risk!

Edited by Twyst (log)

no mayo in this one, but thanks! I think it might have been something with the taters, either coming out of the dirty ground or being part of the nightshade plant family.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog