• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Chinese in New Jersey

Rosie

Exactly. That's why I thought it was important to note that Chinese people use soy sauce too and therefore the use of soy sauce should not be held against caucasians.

chinese will never use the soy sauce on the table, though.

they would ask for soy sauce and peppers when using it.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

We are taking my in-laws to China 46. They are traditional in their tastes.   Any recommendations as to what to order?  I'm open to suggestions.

Hmm, that's a tough one. When you say "traditional in their tastes" what does that mean? Do they like egg foo yung, chow mein, beef with broccoli, lo mein? If so, I wouldn't necessarily recommend China 46. We generally avoid their Rich Tradition in America menu. However, if you want to try some more interesting, but not too challenging dishes, I'd recommend the following:

Appetizers: Spicy Capsicum Cellophane Noodles*, Steamed Little Juicy Pork Buns with or without Crab Meat (Shao Lung Bao), Pan Fried Shanghai Buns, OX Tongue & Tripe in Hot Sauce, Duck Tongue in Spicy Sauce (tommy loves these last two)

Fried Rice: Yang Chow or Chicken & Ham Fried Rice

Noodle: Stir Fried Shanghai Noodle or Stir Fried Rice Cake w. Pork

Vegetable: Sauteed Greens with Garlic (Baby Bok Choy, Spinach, or Mustard Greens) or Sauteed Snow Pea Leaf Tips

Chicken: Basil Chicken, Chicken with Yellow Chives

Beef: Beef with Chinese Broccoli, Beef w. Hot Green Pepper & Firmed Bean Curd, Beef with Vegetable in Roast Pepper Sauce*

Pork: Pork Chop Sauteed w. Pepper & Salt, Ruby Pork (only if there's at least 6 of you, order Sesame Buns to go with, if just the 4 of you, try the sizzling lamb & sesame buns (on the board) instead)

Seafood: Any of the Shrimp dishes, even the plain sauteed shrimp is very good; Steamed Flounder, Any of the Crab or Lobster dishes on the board; if you like escargot, try the Snails with black bean sauce (on the board)

Dessert: Pancake Stuffed w. Sweet Bean Paste or Black Rice Ball w. Peanuts

* Warning: This dish contains Sichuan Peppercorn, click for more details. Some love it, some (me) think it tastes like battery acid.

From the As America Eats, So Does Fat Guy thread:

There were, for example, these fried wonton skins stuffed with cream cheese and and referred to as "Rangoons." What's up with that? I can't believe they eat anything like that in Burma. Or Myanmar.

Just about every buffet here in Houston has these things. I have never heard of them referred to as "Rangoons" but maybe it is just that I am not paying attention. I have often thought that the cream cheese won-ton thing was weird. Like you, I wonder... What's up with that? Cream cheese??? I like them with hot mustard and soy.

For the New Jersey crew- they have these at the Shanghai restaurant in River Edge-this was their "on the house" thing if you bought over I think 25 dollars worth of food. Weird thing yes but I rather liked them but Shanghai made them good. I've seen them elsewhere and they've been horrific.

Coincidentally, we decided to check out this place last night. We had planned to go to the Oradell Diner, but it was closed by 9 PM on a Saturday night (also closed tonight at 7:20 -- are they just closed all weekend???). We didn't feel like BBQ (Finks was nearby) so we decided to eat at the Shanghainese restaurant we've passed a hundred times. At first we expected it to be an Americanized chop suey joint, with its red leatherette booths and all. But after a review of the menu, a perusal of the displayed dim sum examples, and a chat with the hostess, we ordered a little more adventurously. The appetizers seemed to have potential. They were tasty, but obviously reheated versions of what sells more strongly at lunch time.

A big hit with Jason and Jon was the mah-la (very very hot) Green Tree OX. This was a hot pot type dish of beef with vegetables and a spicy combination of seasonings which might have included the infamous Sichuan Peppercorn. A dish we all liked was the Shredded Pork with Hot Peppers and Firm Tofu. The hot pepper was of the jalapeno or serrano variety and I was able to enjoy some of it (as opposed to the one bite taste of the beef dish, I'm a wimp). We all also enjoyed the Haar Moon Noodles, which elsewhere may have been called house special mai fun. A very clean and light version, a nice foil to the other highly seasoned dishes we ordered. The only disappointment (to me) was the Chicken and Ginger in Clay Pot. I expected a braised casserole type dish with a strong ginger flavor. I couldn't taste any ginger and the chicken was fried. It was more of a stereotypical "General Tso's Chicken" then a clay pot dish. The clay pot just seemed to be a serving vessel.

So, does anyone besides Dumpling have any experience with this place? Dumpling and others, what dishes do you recommend we try next time?

Shanghai Restaurant

606 Kinderkamack Rd, River Edge, NJ 07661

Phone: (201) 261-7767

• 6 months later...

I thought I'd revive this topic by adding that I have visited Canton Gourmet on Chestnut Ridge Rd. in Woodcliff Lake twice this month and was very satisfied. The large dining room and it's lazy susan-ed tables caters to numerous Chinese family gatherings -- this is a good sign in my opinion!

The first time out my companion and I ordered hot & sour soup. It was prepared in a heavy beef-tasting stock and was full of goodies -- mushrooms, tofu, veggies, meat etc. Our first entrees was filet mignon with asparagus and mushrooms prepared in a delicious brown sauce. The meat was so tender you didn't need a knife. We also ordered shrimp chow mein which was prepared "Hong Kong" style, stir fried in a light sauce with crunchy veggies and served on crispy vermicelli-like pan fried egg noodles. It was so good I couldn't wait to eat the leftovers the next day!

We returned this Sunday to order scallion pancakes. The pancakes were too floury for me. (My vote for the best crisp and flavorful scallion pancakes still goes to Veggie Heaven in Teaneck.) We had the shrimp with walnuts in special sauce. The shrimp was plentiful and fresh, but the creamy white sauce was a tad too rich for my taste. We also had tofu with mushrooms and shredded pork that was a real winner! I like the fact that this restaurant scatters the delivery of your entrees, giving you a chance to try the first one before the second one sits on the table and grows cold.

I am always on the lookout for good Chinese. We frequently travel to Lotus Cafe in Hackensack, but I am glad to find another option. Canton Gourmet has many new menu options that I haven't seen before, so I look forward to returning and trying new dishes.

I have seen that many of you have been to Kuma. I used to go to Kuma out of convenience since it is very close to my home. The last time the I ordered takeout from them, however, the Kuma delivery man rear-ended my car (it was parked in my driveway) and Kuma refused to pay for the damage, forcing me to communicate with the delivery man directly. I had to report the incident to the Paramus Police to get this guy to finally settle up with me on repairs. As a result, I will never give Kuma another penny of my business. :angry:

I also like Baumgarts and agree that it is not "traditional" Chinese, but it sure is good! It's fun pairing pineapple fried rice with chocolate cake ala mode!!!

If anyone has any additional Chinese recommendations I would love to hear from you.

Janbee

Lover of Broadway, beaches and chocolate.

baumgarts is NOT good in any way. maybe their ice cream, but that's about it. and it's only good if u just want chinese food that is a little bit better than take-out.

how do these people compare places like thai chef and sushi restaurants to chinese restaurants? i don't understand and probably never will b/c these posts are from aug 03 so i doubt they will come back to read this.

i've yet to find a decent chinese restaurant but from what i hear, beijing duck house in bergenfield is outstanding.

In my Rutgers days (like 20 years ago) I used to love Chan's Garden in Dunellen and the A-Kitchen on route 27 in Kendall Park.

I have looked for them and know that they are no longer in their former locations. Does anyone remember these restaurants and know if they are still in the area in another incarnation? :wink:

Thanks.

Janbee

how do these people compare places like thai chef and sushi restaurants to chinese restaurants?  i don't understand and probably never will b/c these posts are from aug 03 so i doubt they will come back to read this.

i've yet to find a decent chinese restaurant but from what i hear, beijing duck house in bergenfield is outstanding.

where do you see people comparing Thai Chef to chinese restaurants?

also, if you take some time to read the NJ board, and even this thread, you'll see that China 46 is mentioned. China 46 is perhaps the best chinese restaurant in the state. there are a few other notable chinese restaurants that are mentioned here and there on the NJ board. there's a lot to dig into, but there are some good finds if you do.

Edited by tommy (log)

Tommy, I agree that China 46 is a good bet for Chinese food. I like the funky "diner" setting, too! I know that many of you regard China 46 as the best in the state. I have only been once, so I am not yet ready to take a position -- but I will add my impressions after my next visit to China 46. :smile:

Janbee

FINALLY!!!!! --- I went to Hunan Cottage! After reading and hearing about it, on these e-Gullet threads, I was dying to go there and finally went with a friend.

It was at lunch time and very crowded. We had to wait about ten minutes. There were only a few Asians, so I figured it was the lunch crowd from the businesses in the area.

I asked for the Chinese menu, and chopsticks in Chinese (I am NOT fluent) and so got their attention. I also ordered in Chinese. This gives me a big advantage as far as service goes, but I went for the food - not the service. (I simply love the language)

We ordered Dried Crispy Spare Ribs with Salt & Pepper; Buffalo Fish Pieces with Hot Bean Sauce, and Jumbo Shrimp with Snow Pea Leaves. Not very daring selections, but all good. The ribs actually were thin sliced chops. I would have preferred actual ribs, but the flavor of the chops was great. The fish had a very fatty skin, and I couldn't make out what actual pieces we had, because they were masked by the wonderful sauce. The rice with that great sauce should be a selection in itself! But the braised meat was sweet and the bones were easily removed. The shrimp were light and the snow pea tips were really good.

I ordered Lion's Head Meatballs to go, and tasted them when I got home. They were wonderful ---- better than C46. I'm going to post a question on these meatballs on the Chinese site.

When I left, I took both pass-out menus - the Chinese one and the regular one. (Quite different!!) I'm already selecting what I want to get next time. I do want to try their Double Cooked Pork. My husband and I had that dish at C46 last Friday, and it was the best I'd ever had. C46 made it with Jiu Cai Hua - garlic sprouts. I'd like to see what Hunan Cottage does.

I don't mean to compare the two restaurants, because all restauants have chefs who do their own thing. I just want to know which dish to order in a particular place.

At any rate, I'm glad to have found e-Gullet, if only for these great restaurants.

Hunan Cottage is an extremely serious Taiwanese/Shanghainese place. I'd put it on about the same level of China 46. We just simply don't end up there as often because we live in Bergen County.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I haven't seen any comments, on these pages, about China Gourmet, on Eagle Rock Avenue, West Orange. (West of Pal's and across from Mayfair Farms) (Or have I missed them?)

Any thoughts?

I've been going there, off and on, for several years, and usually choose from their Chinese menu, but their regular menu has some good choices along with the usual ones.

I guess you would call it mostly a HK place. They were among the first in the area to have Black Pepper dishes, and to this day I can't help but order their Sizzling Skewered Oysters with Black Pepper Sauce. The sauce, which is loaded with onions, is wonderful.

The Chinese menu (written in English and Chinese characters) has listings of 'sizzling' dishes, clay pot dishes and many Cantonese favorites.

When I was there with DH on Friday, we had my favorite Oyster dish, Chicken and Peaches with Black Bean Sauce, and Lamb with Scallions.

In the past I have had a wonderful Eggplant Casserole and Garouper with Bean Curd Skin Casserole.

After Ocean King in Livingston closed, China Gourmet was the only exciting place in my immediate area. There's usually a big table of Chinese diners, and maybe 1//3 to 1/2 of the clientel is Chinese. Anyone else been there?

I haven't been to either place yet, but what are your opinions regarding Cathay 22 on rt 22 in Springfield as compared to China 46? I live near Cathay 22 and have been meaning to go. Someone somewhere said it is one of the best Chinese restaurants around, as good or better than China 46.

John the hot dog guy

China Gourmet--have been there but I like China 46 better. Also China 46 is BYO. For regular Chinese take-out I go to the little place near Kings on South Livingston Ave in Livingston.

The take-out, on So. Livingston Ave, is across and diagonally down (or up) the street from the high school, isn't it? It's a bit fat for me from GR, but I do remember a memorable Beef Chow Fun from there --- that I had years ago, when my husband's office was close by. When I think of that dish, I think of that little take-out.

China Gourmet--have been there but I like China 46 better. Also China 46 is BYO. For regular Chinese take-out I go to the little place near Kings on South Livingston Ave in Livingston.

The take-out, on So. Livingston Ave, is across and diagonally down (or up) the street from the high school, isn't it? It's a bit fat for me from GR, but I do remember a memorable Beef Chow Fun from there --- that I had years ago, when my husband's office was close by. When I think of that dish, I think of that little take-out.

Yes, I think so. It's in the Kings shopping strip mall. Sheri Amster, an ice cream store and a video store are there.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

i got cripsy eel with sweet sauce, pork shoulder with vegetables, and steamed buns with meatballs at hunan cottage last night. i thought the eel was just OK, the steamed buns were very good, and the pork was excellent.

given its location, i probably never would have discovered this place on my own, so thanks to everyone who wrote in about it!

• 1 month later...

For Chinese food lover, another Bergen county restaurant worth checking out is Little SooChow in Saddle Brook. It is on Route 46 a little bit after the Wal-Mart shopping mall.

The location is not ideal but the food is quite authentic, everyone from the restaurant comes from Queens everyday. The food is usually better than most Chinese restaurant in New Jersey and when the cook is in good mood, it can be as good as the best from China 46 or Hunan Cottage. One thing special here is the soupy bun/steam bun that is IMHO the best anywhere. The lady makes it fresh and stam it in an open area on one corner of the restaurant.

The style of cooking here is Shanghainese and is similar to China 46 and Hunan Cottage. The Location is not attactive but the food is worth a try.

165 ROUTE 46 W, 201-368-2899 Saddle Brook NJ

PCbilly

I agree , if you want good shanghai noodles, Little Soo Chow on Rt.46 in Saddle brook is good. I love there beef tendon noodle soup and their juicy steamed dumplings (siu loong biu) and the crabmeat version is good too. Another similiar place to try that is good too is " Lotus Cafe" in hackensack. It's close to Riverside Square mall and in the same shopping center as the Brazilian BBQ place and home depot.

Pat

Rosie:

Thank you for the welcome. This forum is fun read for me.

Here is a list of restaurants that I frequent in north Jersey.

Chinese: SooChow in Saddle Brook; Hunan Cottage in Fairfield.

Thai: Wondee’s in Hackensack. (more authentic than Bangkok Garden)

Japanese: Tawara in Paramus/Rmsey. East in Teaneck but

Korean: Light House in Fairview. (Tofu soup is the specialty here not.

Vietnamese: Saigon Republic in Englewood

Burger: White Manna in Hackensack.

Hot Dog: Goffle Grill in Hawthorne.

Pizza: Kinchley in Ramsey. Brooklyn’s Brick Oven in Hackensack.

BBQ: Finks Funky in River Edge; Mason Jars in Mahwah.

Fried Chicken: Sandy's Fried Chicken" in Garfield.

Indian: Namaskaar in Paramus.

Mexican: El Gran Mexicano in Bergenfield. (when it was first opened).

Fancy: Café Panache in Ramsey.

Bill

Rosie:

Thank you for the welcome. This forum is fun read for me.

Here is a list of restaurants that I frequent in north Jersey.

Chinese: SooChow in Saddle Brook; Hunan Cottage in Fairfield.

Thai: Wondee’s in Hackensack. (more authentic than Bangkok Garden)

Japanese: Tawara in Paramus/Rmsey. East in Teaneck but

Korean: Light House in Fairview. (Tofu soup is the specialty here not.

Vietnamese: Saigon Republic in Englewood

Burger: White Manna in Hackensack.

Hot Dog: Goffle Grill in Hawthorne.

Pizza: Kinchley in Ramsey. Brooklyn’s Brick Oven in Hackensack.

BBQ: Finks Funky in River Edge; Mason Jars in Mahwah.

Fried Chicken: Sandy's Fried Chicken" in Garfield.

Indian: Namaskaar in Paramus.

Mexican: El Gran Mexicano in Bergenfield. (when it was first opened).

Fancy: Café Panache in Ramsey.

Bill

bill, you've got good taste. you'll fit in nicely here. :biggrin: