• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese stovetop grill?

jrshaul

While watching the delightful but unfortunately named "Cooking with Dog", I noticed a novel sort of stovetop grill.

(Link is to specific time in video where grill appears.)

[link]

[/link]

What is this, how might it be used, and where can I obtain one?

Edited by jrshaul (log)

What you're looking for is a yaki-ami. If you have a Japanese grocery or discount store in your area, you can pick one up for around 2 bucks.

Or, you can spend way too much for this one.

Do note that the target market for these are households without an outdoor grill or indoor broiler. They're made for just getting a char on things, but not necessarily for prolonged grilling. When given the chance, Japanese would much rather grill over charcoal!

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Do note that the target market for these are households without an outdoor grill or indoor broiler. They're made for just getting a char on things, but not necessarily for prolonged grilling. When given the chance, Japanese would much rather grill over charcoal!

I have the rather poor combination of an electric range and no place to grill, so this has some appeal to me. Thanks for the identification!