• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide lamb shoulder, bone-in

TdeV

I have a 5 lb lamb shoulder, bone-in, which is 3 1/2" at the thickest.

Can I cook this sous-vide? I have Douglas Baldwin's book, but he only goes up to 70 mm and does not go into any exact rules about determining what is too thick to pasteurize. (I see the math; I don't understand it). Many of the links on the sous-vide discussion on eGullet tables do not resolve.

I was planning on doing this for 24 hours at 160 F. Will this be safe?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Why is there no topic tag for "sous vide"?

Edited for clarity.

Edited by TdeV (log)

Turned out this lamb shoulder was boneless wrapped in plastic netting which I had not removed prior to vacuum-sealing the bag. I cooked it 24 hours at 160 F, then broiled it for 2-3 min per side to crisp the edges. It was tender and moist. With it I served small yukon potatoes covered with duck fat and a casserole with cauliflower broken into very small pieces, white sauce, lots of onions and two kinds of cheese: cheddar and a tiny bit of parmesan.

Thanks Kerry Beal, I'll take note of your times for Bone-in.

Delish!