• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick sous vide question: reheating

Greg Honeycutt

With the holidays coming, and me having to cook multiple dinners, I hope to exploit the ease and security of sous vide with my prime rib and turkey. I've always cooked then served, and wanted to know if it's advised to cook, and refrigerate and reheat prior to service? If that's not acceptable, what steps could I take to have some of my work done prior to service? Thanks a ton, Greg

It's acceptable. Indeed, it's one of the numerous advantages of cooking things sous vide. When I served turkey breasts to my family, for instance, I brined and cooked three turkey breasts a couple of weeks prior to the dinner. I served one straight away and put the other two in the freezer. I thawed them and then reheated them (well, let them come up to room temp and then deep-fried them) on the actual day. I didn't notice any difference in quality or texture. So. Yeah. Seal. Cook. Chill. Don't take the item out of the bag. Reheat however you like. You'll be fine.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Don't just put it in the refrigerator or cool it in water with a few ice cubes. Make sure you use around 2/3 ice, 1/3 water. And leave it submerged in this mixture for a few hours to make sure it cools quickly and thoroughly.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

This. If you don't have an ice machine, place a large metal bowl of water in the freezer for a while. Take it out before it freezes soid, obviously, but it'll give you an ice slurry to which you can add extra ice cubes and etc.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

as cold as possible

to save on the ice, I initially have a sink full of cold tap water, let the bags sit in that for < 10 min, drain, and add water to cover and all the ice I have in my freezer which I make in rectangular plastic bowls, the kind you save food in, the day before. the second bath is mostly those large cubes and just enough cold water to barely cover all the stuff.

<10 on the initial cooling I think is safe. some may differ. it drops the temp of the bags quite a bit and makes the second stage more efficient.