• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking with sawdust

mm84321

I came up with this idea a couple years ago.

Less than $20 invested.

The following is how I cold smoke inside......

A stainless steel colander flipped over the target helps concentrate the smoke if needed.

My vent hood doesn't vent to the outside, I open the window and use a box fan.

From my old blog.......

"Small Batch Indoor Cold smoking."

"I spent several weeks looking for a reliable and inexpensive way to do indoor cold smoking.

I settled on rolled cigarettes (LOL) heated with a soldering iron because it’s possible to smoke with pure tea leaves, herbs, sawdust, etc. without the fuel burning up too rapidly.

I invested about $20 in the cigarette roller, papers, soldering iron, spring and clamp."

2v3kkn9.jpg

"Below is some rosemary being rolled."

30idpaa.jpg

"Applewood smoked butter, rosemary smoked foccacia, tea smoked hard-boiled eggs….the possibilities are endless."

1zf0k07.jpg

"The cigarette must be able to slide freely inside the spring. The soldering iron raises the temperature inside the cold oven only about 10 degrees above room temperature. Each cigarette smokes for about 30-40 minutes. A vent hood is recommended. My vent hood doesn’t vent to the outside, but that wasn’t a problem with a window open and the ceiling fan running. : )

It's habit forming!!!!!"

For bigger jobs, the A-Maze-N smoke generators can't be beat!!!!!!

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

You could put some sawdust in the bottom of a 600 hotel pan if you have one (I know you have a well stocked kitchen), put the potatoes in a perforated 200 hotel pan, then cover the thing with foil. Put it on the stove and you have a homemade stovetop smoker.

This will ruin the inside of your 600 pan and you will have to use it only for smoking after. You may have to jumpstart the smoking with a torch before putting the pan over heat.

EDIT : You will also need to moisten the sawdust I think to do this method. I wouldnt try to do a full soak on them or anything if its really fine dust, just put some in a bowl with a little bit of water and stir that around to moisten it up a bit.

Edited by Twyst (log)

You could put some sawdust in the bottom of a 600 hotel pan if you have one (I know you have a well stocked kitchen), put the potatoes in a perforated 200 hotel pan, then cover the thing with foil. Put it on the stove and you have a homemade stovetop smoker.

This will ruin the inside of your 600 pan and you will have to use it only for smoking after. You may have to jumpstart the smoking with a torch before putting the pan over heat.

EDIT : You will also need to moisten the sawdust I think to do this method. I wouldnt try to do a full soak on them or anything if its really fine dust, just put some in a bowl with a little bit of water and stir that around to moisten it up a bit.

Thanks. This is what I will probably do. I'll post back with my results.

Pop sawdust in a wok on some foil. Heat the wok until sawdust is smoking. Place the potatoes on a bamboo steamer with lid. Place on wok. Smoke. This way you will only be able to use that steamer for smoking but it's cheaper than losing a hotel pan.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog