• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: The Bourdain Identity

Fat Guy

Presumably a copy editor is the person who points out that 'apparatae' isn't a word?

Hate to run countercurrent to you on this...but actually it is a word, Bourdain's use is just a bit bizarro *not a word so far as I know*. Apparatae however seems to lurk in a number of scientific papers...a few ganders for you all:

"Indeed, evolution has provided biological agents with highly tuned apparatae to efficiently pick up the information necessary to carry out useful actions. " from Ewert, J-P., Neuroethology: an introduction to the neurophysiological fundamentals of behavior, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1980.

"Mira, on the other hand, argues that the theoretical and legal

apparatae in play have been changed without her consent."

from The Limits of Thinking Theory: Responding to the Theory/Practice Debate in Asian American Studies by Wendy Hui Kyong Chun

I seem to recall it in some Isaac Asimov books as well :raz:

It might be good to note though that the word is not English, tis Latin. But then he threw a French phrase in that article as well. From the Vatican's website:

"69. Editiones librorum liturgicorum lingua vulgari apparatae omni ex parte congruant cum titulis, ordine textuum, rubricis et numerorum ratione, quae in editione typica exstant, nisi in praenotandis iisdem libris praepositis aliter statuatur. Inserantur insuper quaevis additamenta a Congregatione de Cultu Divino et Disciplina Sacramentorum approbata, sive in supplemento quodam seu appendice sive loco suo, prout Sedes Apostolica statuerit."

So, Bourdain's "We are all all-too-familiar with the frequency, density and structural integrity of our respective contributions -- and the viability of our flush apparatae." can just join the club :cool: Maybe he fell asleep listening to a subliminal Latin learning tape? Somehow I don't think he is best buddies with the Pope.

- Weka

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe

It always amazes me that people only born in 1975 are talking and walking and moving around.

Then I remember it's 2003. :shock:

Hey, I was born in '75.

God, I can't believe I'm almost 30. YIKES!

yup, ditto. 1976. where did the time go?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 2 months later...

Bourdain has the best show in the food industry because he idenifies what the inner meaning of food is and that is memories of your particular youth those meals that become the inner thread of our lives. And those tastes and smells that make up our souls. This show always leaves me wanting for more. By the way I lived in Rio for 4 years and still own a home in niteroi, rio do ouro. And I make a mean mocoto soup. Next time you do a tour of rio I;ll take you to a bar b que that just grills pigeon(wonderful) or the beach in Itipu when whole beach is surrounded by a big net that ultimatly dredges up all sorts of sea cratures( make sure you have at least 3 dollars for three kilos of your fish of choice) Keep up the great work!!!

Bourdain lovers might enjoy another online appearance of his back in 2002 at another forum.

Read closely...some of his recipes are jaw-dropping.

Translating "kitchenese" which is how most of us learn and communicate--example: "One half shitload of stock...poquito mirepoix...a cunt hair of peppercorn, a little bit a clove.." can be tough.

I thought A Cook's Tour was amazing—I like his work so much I'd let him smoke at dinner.

• 2 months later...

first let me apologize for my written english, let say i'm not from around here.

Anthony, you might not like it but for some of the "real Line Cook" the one who sweat their ass off on the line of an independent restaurants (the afficinado) being yield by a chef (I'm sorry to say but sometime i'm this person), working in a tiny place etc.. , YOU ARE their stars. As a young girl line cook told me :"we finally find our star for us the Junkies cooks".

At least in your show there is passion. Your not selling out like Puck selling his cooking tool brand in one of the pathetic shopping channel. How about the chick who is on the food network (sorry she is not even worth to remember her name) that does add for Burger King. By the way there is a nationaly known chef who does also an add for Burger King. Just pathetic!!!!!!

Thanks again for your show and Book. Eventhough you sell us out on your first book, monsieur i do not eat fish on Monday but you made amend since.

By the way how did feel on that day after you book touring in Minneapolis when you had to be in Chicago by 10 am after senpding the night arguing about cooking stuff and drinking Guinness . i did not make in my restaurant the day after.

hope to see you again,

vincent